List here what you DO NOT like on 8.1.

Cerif27

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
My biggest complaint is the removal of FB from the People Hub. The fact that I now have to open the app just to "Like" a post makes this feel like a HUGE step backwards and runs counter to their "get in and get out" mantra of Metro. I also really cannot stand that they brought back the excessive animations between windows and all of the games being in the app list.

Wow. Just checking this out. Bad form. Baaaaad form. I loved the integration. Their apps are ALWAYS a mess and take forever to load. I can only assume there were licensing issues because if this was done on purpose, clearly someone wasn't thinking.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
My biggest complaint is the removal of FB from the People Hub. The fact that I now have to open the app just to "Like" a post makes this feel like a HUGE step backwards and runs counter to their "get in and get out" mantra of Metro. I also really cannot stand that they brought back the excessive animations between windows and all of the games being in the app list.

I agree so much.

One of the key points of this OS was the seamless integration with different services.

Now they are taking the app centric approach and I don't like it.

Cerif27

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
It used to go from lock screen: volume up or down to bring up the volume menu, press ring + vibrate/vibrate toggle

It now goes from lock screen: volume up or down to bring up the volume menu, press the down arrow to bring up volume menu, press bell/vibrate toggle.

You can also mute media the same way and turn off vibrate individually from this menu.

Thank you!

spyridon

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
It is not that I don't like the following things, I just wish we could have the option to control some of these options.

1) It would be nice to have the option to enable the data connection from notification center
2) Xbox game settings are now auto sync either you want or not
3) Games now always appear in main menu tree
4) Video App. Seriously we are forced to install an app that most people will never use and on top of that we are not allowed to disable the background activity to preserve battery and data

Other than that, impressed so far.

cannon#WP

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Battery drain and the overly simplified background tasks option on the settings menu...and the xbox disintegration
I think the battery drain is due to all of your apps getting reinstalled in the background. Even through I've been charging my phone through my laptop all morning, and my phone was around 95% when the update was completed, I'm now at 84% and I have a crap-ton of apps still waiting to be reinstalled. After that it should probably stabilize.

Knlin731

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Argh I'm so annoyed that games are shown in the App list!! I have too many apps as it is and always feel the need to uninstall apps that I never use to make it easier to find apps that I use often enough to keep but not often enough to pin to start. Now I have twice as many apps in that list! Really, really annoying!
I also find this very aggravating as I have just over 40+ games on my phone, having every app and game in the apps list needs to be fixed. Maybe in the first GDR but who know how long that will be... :(

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It's been over 10 minutes, and Xbox Music is still trying to find all the songs on my SD card. Ridiculous.

Edit: I lied. It's been over 17 minutes.

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the decrease in integration. Currently, the replacement for Podcasting is not nearly good enough. I can't even find/add StarTalk! Hopefully they stay true to their word and we see a lot more updates to the podcasting app in the near future.

Also, I liked going to the People Hub for my feeds. While the feeds are still available, I now have to open an app to look deeper into the posts.

I'd prefer the choice in the new Photo app not to open directly to all my photos. I'd rather it open to just the albums as it did before. Also, it was nice to see all my OneDrive albums integrated into the hub without having to open the OneDrive app.

tldr: Loss of integration. One of the main things that attracted me to Windows Phone in the first place.

blackout2005

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
How do you change the temperature in Cortana and Calendar app from Fahrenheit to Celsius? I can do it in the (Bing) Weather app but in Cortana and Calendar app they show temperature in oF.

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Regarding Facebook, you have to download new Facebook app from the Store. What I don't like, the Glance screen doesn't show any notifications... :(

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Is this true? Do Glance screen notifications no longer work on WP 8.1? Can anyone else confirm? I'm on the update before 8.1. If Glance doesn't work, I might just not update to 8.1 yet.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

Trying to figure out what you guys mean?? My People hub still shows Facebook and Twitter updates.

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Trying to figure out what you guys mean?? My People hub still shows Facebook and Twitter updates.

Yes, you can still see them. But, if you want to comment, like, view comments, view photos etc. it now has to open through an app rather than the old integrated experience.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Oh my gosh dont even get me started. I launch music and go to artists and it doesnt even load any before the screen times out.

Legit on eBay right now looking for alternatives. That or I'm going to switch to my un-upgraded 520. I'm livid. Music is my #1 priority.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss