Roaming icon (triangle) always on after 8.1 update.

David Van Ryn

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
After i installed the 8.1 update the roaming icon is on all the time,(triangle) even though i disabled it in the settings.
I have tried pulling out the battery and simcard, wait a while and put it back in, but the result is the same.

Does anyone have an idea what setting or app could force this to always on?, or should i contact my provider?

I like the update and even though there are a few missing features and buggy music app, i am sure these will be ironed out in the very near future.
Thx Microsoft for making the Windows Phone even more usefull! Good job :)

( never liked android, and even wp8.1 with the bugs is still a better experience then Android :winktongue: ).

smeerlap

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem with the same provider.

That icon and setting don't mean exactly what you think they mean though. The triangle is always on if you're in a foreign country, whether or not that option is enabled. The option to roam/not roam is only for your data. I actually had to tell it to roam or I couldn't use my data services anymore. I checked my subscription on "Mijn Telenet" and it doesn't actually charge for roaming, everything is coming out of my allotted usage.

All of the people I know that have already updated to 8.1 are with Proximus and they don't have the problem, so I think it's carrier related.

techja

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue with the roaming triangle. I use the Dutch provider, Telfort, which is using the network of a bigger mobile provider (KPN).
With Windows Phone 8.0, I didn't have the roaming triangle within my provider network. But I can remember that this also was an issue with the first version of WP8.0. But I believe this needs to be fixed by the Windows Phone team, and not by the provider.

So for the moment I need to enable data roaming to use my mobile data connection. I think the problem occurs with all the virtual mobile providers....

Jajador

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue too. My spanish carrier ONO is a virtual operator over Movistar. The problem is that WP8.1 replaces the oem customization relative to some carriers. I have downgraded my phone to WP8 to disable the triangle.... it is a must for me because I usually travel and really do not want to disable the roaming data each time.

Edit: Of course it is not possible to disable the triangle and tell to your phone that your carrier is OK and it is not in roaming mode using the phone interface. You should to change the internal files and, in my case with a Lumia, it is impossible for now.

bgpt45

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I do have the same problem, 2 triangle for both SIM-Cards. Put roaming off doesnot help to take the triangle away, still displayed. To test I put the wifi connection off. If I don't use roam then Mobile Data is not connected. It is very strange to put the option roam in your own country. Now is option roam ia always chosen (for your own country).

I think this is a bug from Microsoft.

techja

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I do have the same problem, 2 triangle for both SIM-Cards. Put roaming off doesnot help to take the triangle away, still displayed. To test I put the wifi connection off. If I don't use roam then Mobile Data is not connected. It is very strange to put the option roam in your own country. Now is option roam ia always chosen (for your own country).

I think this is a bug from Microsoft.

Are you also running the Developer preview of Windows Phone 8.1, or already using the native release for your specific country. I really hope this issue get resolved with the local specific version of Windows Phone 8.1...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I sometimes get the roaming triangle on my phone as well, and fairly sure I saw it in WP8.0 as well. I live in the UK, over 120 miles from the nearest other country (France), so there's no way that I'm actually roaming.

I just enable/disable flight mode and the triangle goes away. I've never seen any roaming charges on my account.

Lu520

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
from yesterday to till last hour i had the same problem. It is not related to Phone and it is related to Carrier IMO :)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
To all those with the issue:

Settings >Cellular+SIM > SIM Settings > Network Selection

Change from Automatic to search for networks > Select your network

I too have this issue and that's how I solve it.

Laurens Vanhoutte

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello David.

I just stumbled upon your message here and find it remarkable you have this issue too.
My Lumia 625 used to do the exact same thing! I just sold it to a friend. He put his telenet simcard in and the triangle appears. Just as it used to with my Telenet simcard!

Luckily this doesn't cost you anything though, just doesn't look cool. Haha. I switched to Proximus, since telenet is a pretty **** provider anyways.

techja

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
The CV firmware of Windows Phone 8.1 is just released for my Lumia 925 in the Netherlands. I will try to downgrade to 8.0 and upgrade to the Cyan firmware to see if this issue is solved in the CV specific firmware.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
mostly because your carrier main tower wasn't at your country, please check your carrier HQ address if it is at your country

techja

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
mostly because your carrier main tower wasn't at your country, please check your carrier HQ address if it is at your country

My carrier Head Quarters address is in the Netherlands, my phone is the Lumia 925 NL CV. What do you mean with carrier main tower?

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My carrier Head Quarters address is in the Netherlands, my phone is the Lumia 925 NL CV. What do you mean with carrier main tower?

Some carrier build their main network tower in other country to have more signal, most of the carrier build their main network tower nearby their HQ or the capital of the country

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss