Is it now possible to assign static IP address to Windows Phone 8.1 to connect to Wi-Fi?

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Don't make it an argument 😉 just point out the MAC address and that there's not a static address on the phone. He **should** be able to do the rest using the MAC address to ID your phone to the access point.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Don't make it an argument �� just point out the MAC address and that there's not a static address on the phone. He **should** be able to do the rest using the MAC address to ID your phone to the access point.

That's not likely if it's a corporate Wifi network. It's trivial to spoof a MAC address and it's even more trivial to grab a device's MAC address. Rather harder to fake an IP.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that, given the sysadmin really was clueless about the whole deal to begin with, that we have a very sophisticated approach to security with the network in question. To me, that would indicate they don't have assets they're required to demonstrate security compliance, in which case they're not likely to be targeted for penetration hacking. They're probably more concerned about neighboring locations siphoning Wi-Fi than anything. In which case, MAC whitelisting and DHCP reservations are appropriate. I truly doubt that they are presently - or ever will - use certs for WiFi ID and authentication.

Doesn't mean that they shouldn't take access security seriously, but it is likely what is the "truth on the ground" in this scenario. It's simple, straightforward, and works against the casual/garden variety person looking around.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Very interesting. My Lumia 1020 is definitely missing this "Configure network settings manually" switch. I cant configure anything there.

wp_ss_20140426_0003.png

Yaw Agyei

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Like I said in my earlier post, this feature appears to be available on certain WP devices. If anyone from Microsoft (since Nokia is no more) is reading this, some of us really need this feature on our windows phones. The Wi-Fi at my office requires that connected devices be assigned a static IP addresses. All Android phones at my office can do this simple thing. Why isn't this feature included in windows phones, Windows desktop has it why not windows phone ?

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Like I said in my earlier post, this feature appears to be available on certain WP devices. If anyone from Microsoft (since Nokia is no more) is reading this, some of us really need this feature on our windows phones. The Wi-Fi at my office requires that connected devices be assigned a static IP addresses. All Android phones at my office can do this simple thing. Why isn't this feature included in windows phones, Windows desktop has it why not windows phone ?

Because it's useless and can negatively impact on the wifi connection ability of a device if incorrectly configured. It should be implemented eventually, right now there are much more important features to have

Yaw Agyei

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
@hprvez First of all, how many ppl on Android have you heard complain about static IP negatively affecting their system ?

Secondly do you utilize every single feature on your windows phone ? I guess the answer is No.
In that same vain, not every individual will ever use that feature. Only those who understand how it works will end up utilizing the ability to edit Wi-Fi network settings. So your worry about affecting network negatively is misplaced .

Thirdly, what might appear as an "important" feature to you might not to be to me. So i believe the word "useless" is also misplaced.

Lastly the ability to edit Wi-Fi network settings is a "Basic" feature in the smartphone ecosystem. If Windows phone is growing, such "Basic" features shouldn't be left out

Arya Satya

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
how in the world that this option is only exclusive to a certain handset from same manufacturer? i have lumia 920 and i dont have that option. is there any prequisite like certain router/protocol/country variant?

Yaw Agyei

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad Microsoft has now seen the importance of such a feature and has decided to put it in their code. I'm Also hoping Microsoft includes it in the Cyan firmware update. Cos I really need this feature at my work place

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad Microsoft has now seen the importance of such a feature and has decided to put it in their code. I'm Also hoping Microsoft includes it in the Cyan firmware update. Cos I really need this feature at my work place

Remember, the preview is only that, a preview, not every feature is unlocked yet. Case being the hidden USB options that was found a couple weeks ago. So this may still come from Microsoft in the "live" update. ;)

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The question is:
WHY THE HELL Microsoft makes this option off by default and counts on the OEM to enable it? Why couldn't they just make it enabled by default?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo