IE 11 is reloading too frequently

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone having a reload problem with IE 11? I have the Lumia 920, and it appears my tabs are getting reloaded much more often and seemingly random. I remember with WP 8.0 and IE 10, there was practically no reload even with all 6 tabs in use. However, IE 11 reloads even with just 4 tabs.

For example, I open up cnn.com, wpcentral.com, theverge.com, and bbc.com. I then browsed a few pages on theverge. Unfortunately, when I go back to the other 3 tabs, well, they ALL reload the page. This has never happened with IE 10. Is anyone else seeing much more frequent reload on their tabs? This was one of the best thing about WP 8.0, but it seems that's no longer the case. My brother's Note 3 is now actually better in tabs and reloading.

TL;DR: IE 11 in WP 8.1 reloads tabs more frequently even with just four open.

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well it's rather intermittent. But I am definitely getting a lot more reloading than before. In fact, IE 11 now even reload the page even with just one tab. This is getting frustrating since I can't seem to determine a pattern.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone having a reload problem with IE 11? I have the Lumia 920, and it appears my tabs are getting reloaded much more often and seemingly random. I remember with WP 8.0 and IE 10, there was practically no reload even with all 6 tabs in use. However, IE 11 reloads even with just 4 tabs.

For example, I open up cnn.com, wpcentral.com, theverge.com, and bbc.com. I then browsed a few pages on theverge. Unfortunately, when I go back to the other 3 tabs, well, they ALL reload the page. This has never happened with IE 10. Is anyone else seeing much more frequent reload on their tabs? This was one of the best thing about WP 8.0, but it seems that's no longer the case. My brother's Note 3 is now actually better in tabs and reloading.

TL;DR: IE 11 in WP 8.1 reloads tabs more frequently even with just four open.

I got that also. The joy of beta software.

acewing905

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I can also confirm this as happening on my Lumia 525. Even with only one tab open, the page refreshes if kept in the background for long.

I was really happy about the new reading mode because I read long articles, and I don't like UCBrowser much, but as it is, reading mode is useless, because when the page refreshes, it goes back to the top of the page unlike the normal mode which retains where I last was.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I noticed this today on my Lumia 521. I use a website to enter my workout information, and I usually leave the page up and enter the number of reps after each exercise on input text fields on the page. I would usually be able to leave the page open and it would stay on the page as long as I didn't open any other apps. Today, with IE 11, it reloaded the page for me halfway through my program... Which was pretty irritating, as I had to go back and fill out all the text boxes again.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I keep having a issue where the loading bar will keep loading and the blank page will flicker. And it seems like I'm having issues properly loading imore and wpcentral forums

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I keep having a issue where the loading bar will keep loading and the blank page will flicker. And it seems like I'm having issues properly loading imore and wpcentral forums

Sane here buddy.
It keeps on reloading and sometimes gives error
"We are having trouble displaying the page"
I tried on WiFi still sometime I get this error.

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yup got this problem too. It even has problem reloading pages and get stuck in loop with the address bar flickering. I also pulled out my Lumia 710 with WP 7.5 and IE 9, and the user experience is much nicer. Never reloaded except when the phone is restarted. Just a bit slow, but at least it doesn't reload.

MS really screwed up on IE 11 and memory management, or whatever that's causing the reloading. When 90% of my phone usage is the browser, this problem is incredibly annoying.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Yup got this problem too. It even has problem reloading pages and get stuck in loop with the address bar flickering. I also pulled out my Lumia 710 with WP 7.5 and IE 9, and the user experience is much nicer. Never reloaded except when the phone is restarted. Just a bit slow, but at least it doesn't reload.

MS really screwed up on IE 11 and memory management, or whatever that's causing the reloading. When 90% of my phone usage is the browser, this problem is incredibly annoying.

Oh good, I was worried it was only happening to me.

I was about to do another factory reset, but that might be pointless

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
By the way, is anyone able to smoothly browse this slideshow: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/golf-masters/2014-04/19-bubba-watson-photos#slide=1

Trying to view that on my Lumia 521 is a struggle. The first slide shows ok, but it gets slower and shower with each one. I pinch to zoom on the page, and when moving the viewable area it just blanks for many seconds at a time before redrawing. When I got to slide #10, IE just crashed. I started it up again, on slide #10, but on slide #17 I gave up because it was just so slow to redraw the page.

I think IE11 has a serious memory leak problem...

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same problem. This is really irritating.. Every time it reloads the page once we put IE11 on the background and come back. Do fix this silly thing soon.

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Learned more about Gerry (Bubba) in 20 slides than I'd ever thought of wanting to know. Lumia 928 with 8.1 developers preview installed 2 days ago

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Yes, on my 920 with DP I have the same annoying problem. Will try deactivating background tasks, but don't see how this could help.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk.

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have just learned to tolerate it, but frankly I am still very disappointed by IE 11. What is funny is that the IE team made a huge post about "unlimited tabs", and I find it incredibly counterproductive.

Sometimes I forget and click on the Tabs button only to find that I have like 10+ tabs still "open". The 6-tab limits was FAR, FAR more predictable and their positions NEVER change unless a tab is closed.

If I needed unlimited tabs, then I would have used my laptop. Furthermore, unlimited tabs is also pretty ineffective unless you can also have multiple windows. That way, you can group similar tabs in the same windows.

N1cks

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
After long last I finally have WP8.1 on my L920. So far my experience with IE11 has not been good.

The reload thing blows.

But even worse still is when I open a link in a tab, then hit the back button so I can continue surfing while the page loads, hitting the back button seems to cancel the ‘open link in new tab’ operation :-(

I’m going to have to change my smartphone behaviour – use apps more.. or something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans