Wifi auto turn on and off near favorite places...?

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone got the wifi to turn on and off automatically via the favorite places as I am not able to get that to turn on my wifi ...left home went to college and came back home its been 2 hours and it did not turn it on .... I have set the favorite places in Cortana's notebook and also in built in maps..... I am a bit off on the location by about 70 to 100 meters because of GPS Issues will that matter.....

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Soooo.... I went to a Starbucks that is listed as a favorite and it didn't work. I had to manually turn it on.

I then connected to the Wi-Fi. I thought maybe it was confused because there were four different networks. But it still didn't work even after I made the Starbucks Wi-Fi the preferred hotspot

In fact even after manually turning it back on, I had to still manually select the Starbucks hotspot. So automatically connecting to a nearby hotspot didn't work either.

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
well we ned to wait till final build i guess ....... or it will be one of those features that is just on paper and will never actually work

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The turn on after a set time (i.e. 1 hour, 4 hours, etc) worked just fine though. It would be nice to turn off automatically when you are not near one of your favorites. THAT would make it much more useful.

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
If a place is set as favorite it should turn on when you are 500 meters near to it and should turn off when you move away more than 500 meters.....why 500 meters GPS will never give you pin point accuracy and hence.....

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Auto on for favorite places is working for me on my Icon. I tested it last night when I got home and again this morning at work. Turned on within 15 minutes of arriving at both. Can't confirm auto off, didn't think that was supported, so I'll see what happens today when I leave work.

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
If it does not auto turn off it is as good as leaving it on the entire time as once its on if you visit your favorite place in the morning everyday you only have to turn it off ...so another half baked feature.....

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone confirm if you need Cortana to be running in the background for this to work or is having location always on good enough for it to work?

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes cortana in background is required for that ..... Got it to switch on today but yeah it wont switch off automatically so if you visit a favorite place in morning and go back to home in the evening it will remain on the entire time unless you switch off .....

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Ok. I tried again today. I turned off my WiFi and set it to turn back on when I'm near a favorite. When we got home after lunch, I noticed that my WiFi was turned back on and connected to my WiFi network. So, I don't know what is causing issues. I suspect that my GPS locational data is not as precise as it should be. I've had similar GPS accuracy issues with both my 928 and Galaxy Note II since moving here to Hawaii. We live close to Pearl Harbor/Hickam AFB and it's possible that electromagnetic interference is causing it. Or maybe, atmospheric/solar interference as well. I'll keep playing with it.

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Maybe we need to have wifi on at the favourite place when we get there ...it might try to connect once if it fails then it wont connect else it connects .... Because yesterday it connected, today as wifi was off and I switched it on after coming home it did not connect....

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Auto on is working fine for me, home and work. I don't have other favorites with wifi but for those two, the ones you set up specifically as home and work, it's been great. It doesn't auto turn off.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
OK. So it worked again today... at least as far as automatically turning on when I get home. I have a couple of theories.

1. The phone gets confused if there are multiple WiFi networks to connect to. Especially if they are all unsecured. This is the case at one of my favorite Starbucks. Because of the population density here on Oahu, you will get several WiFi networks stepping on each other.

Or

2. My phone is not reading the GPS data accurately or the mapping data for Hawaii is not accurate (more likely). There have been several times when I've arrived at a destination and my phone says I have over 100 yards to go before I arrive. I've run into this with my using Google Navigation/Maps (Galaxy Note II) as well as WP8.0 (928 and Icon) and WP8.1 (Icon).

Or

3. A combination of both 1 and 2.

I like that it is available, and I am hoping that MSFT addresses this in the final build.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Ok. So I tried again today. When I got to my favorite Starbucks my WiFi did not turn on. I opened maps and noticed that my location according to GPS was about 200ish yards from where Maps says that particular Starbucks is (note: The GPS location was correct, I recognized the building I was in). When I got home my WiFi did not turn on like it has previously. I checked Maps and noticed that my GPS location was off by over 100 yards.

So by what I can determine with this little experiment is that my second theory is what is causing the problems (mine at least).

The mapping data in Hawaii (Oahu) is not always accurate. We have weird addresses such as: 98-12345 Farrington Hwy. Both Maps and Here+ Drive won't recognize any numbers before the dash. Also, many places here share an address with different suites being what differentiates between the places.

As for the GPS inaccuracies. I can only attribute that to anomalies caused by weather, solar, and or electromagnetic interference and is probably a local problem for me and not many other people.

So my recommendation is to use the GPS location of your favorite location and NOT what Maps says is the location of your favorite.

My two cents.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Ok. Another update. My WiFi didn't turn on when I got home. Upon looking at where my phone was saying I was, compared to where my favorite was set. It showed that I was about 50 to 100 yards away from my house... I was standing IN my house. So for me it's a combination of the phone not reading the GPS data accurately enough and mapping errors here in Hawaii.

Anybody know how far from a favorite place you need to be for WiFi to turn back on?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3