Factory Reset - It's a lot easier now!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
After updating my Icon to 8.1 Dev Preview, I couldn't access the store. I waited until all of the other reports of store failure stopped coming in, since it was a known issue that the store was down, but I still couldn't get in. I updated my 928, which I'm going to sell when I get time to take some pictures of it and put it up, and it was immediately able to get to the store, as was my wife's 822, while my Icon still could not.

Having accepted the fact that I was going to have to restore my phone, I performed one last back up on it (settings | backup | apps | backup now), and went for it. Once logged in after the restore completed, my start screen was immediately as it was before, except muted. As apps were installed automatically in the background, they lit up on the start screen, showing their full color.
My custom ringtones were restored
Most settings were restored.
I still had to provide passwords for any apps that needed them.
I use the Authenticator app, so I had to go into my Outlook account and delete the old Authenticator app and add a new one.
Photos are not restored
I didn't have any music on my phone, but I would expect that to not be restored.

The new features say that app data is backed up, but I haven't yet found any apps where the data was preserved. I don't know if that is something that developers have to enable or not, but it didn't seem to work in my case.

Even without the restoration of my app data (which in my case isn't that big a deal), just the restoration of the start screen is a HUGE help.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for this Hop! I have been wanting to do a hard reset to clear some of the "Other Storage" (Which after my update seems to be 0 bytes :/ Go figure)
But I still wanted to know if i would get app data back after a factory reset.. Guess not. I'll just wait this one out :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this Hop! I have been wanting to do a hard reset to clear some of the "Other Storage" (Which after my update seems to be 0 bytes :/ Go figure)
But I still wanted to know if i would get app data back after a factory reset.. Guess not. I'll just wait this one out :)

There may be some data preserved, but if there is, I haven't found it yet. If I do find something that was preserved, I'll post it here.

Another thought - I know the store wasn't working right, and I also couldn't get to OneDrive with one of my apps (it was the only app I tried), so maybe the problem was my phone. I welcome anyone to post here if they find that data backup does indeed work.

JasonKruys

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I think the developers of each app have to enable the app data backup function now possible with WP 8. Hopefully we will see the devs running all their apps through the new SDK!

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I think the developers of each app have to enable the app data backup function now possible with WP 8. Hopefully we will see the devs running all their apps through the new SDK!

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Hopefully very soon! :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes