Can't set English US as language

TripleHelix192

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm in Australia with a Telstra HTC 8X. I have my keyboard and speech settings on English US.
When I go change the language I can choose English US, but the Australian one I cannot delete (which is set as the language).
I figured out that I can set my language to English UK completely, but cannot set it for US?!
After I change the region to US I still can't remove Australia and I can't get Cortana...
Does anyone have a solution as to why I can set language to US? Thanks :)

TripleHelix192

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I have set US to be on top and when I tap and hold to remove the option is greyed out.
But, I can remove Australia only if another language is set, I absolutely cannot get US set as all default.

TripleHelix192

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
After some more research I have found a lot of people with a HTC are having this issue. I think its something that has been implemented so that a non-US phone can't be set to US. Looks like I'll be waiting a long time for Cortana then :(
At least the rest of Windows Phone is still awesome!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
After some more research I have found a lot of people with a HTC are having this issue. I think its something that has been implemented so that a non-US phone can't be set to US. Looks like I'll be waiting a long time for Cortana then :(
At least the rest of Windows Phone is still awesome!

im sorry m8.... just hang on a bit longer :D

Hamberthm

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here, Argentina variant, can't find a way to set US english, it just won't quit using the previous language and won't let me uninstall it.

anon(5379091)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, region set to US ,still greyed out.
I'm pretty sure I downloaded the language pack before 8.1 as I had it set to US before the update.

I had English language pack before 8.1 , when I updated I had to download it again. Try taping (don't hold, just one tap) the English USA option and see if something comes up. If nothing then try checking for phone updates.

Hope this helps.

TripleHelix192

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I had English language pack before 8.1 , when I updated I had to download it again. Try taping (don't hold, just one tap) the English USA option and see if something comes up. If nothing then try checking for phone updates.

Hope this helps.

I had the language pack before 8.1 too. No other options when tapping on it.

Mine is locked to Telstra (Australia).

mrjamesmoore

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a 920 locked to Telstra & changed my settings so I could get Contana so it does work here in Oz. However as you said maybe there's an issue with the HTC phones? Can tweet me on @MrJamesMoore if you have any questions

Peter McNeill1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
HTC did not bake US English into the ROM on non-US phones so these phones can never have Cortana until MS ships the non-US language versions of WP8.1 although some non US folk seem to have 8x/s's that can be changed to US English. This spotty QC from HTC sucks some get the full 8.1 experience while a major chunk of us are SOL.

Marcelo Velazquez

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem in a Lumia 520 Claro Variant in Paraguay. I used my phone in English US prior to the update, and after the update, it reversed itself to the default language (Espa?ol, Paraguay).

TripleHelix192

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a 920 locked to Telstra & changed my settings so I could get Contana so it does work here in Oz. However as you said maybe there's an issue with the HTC phones? Can tweet me on @MrJamesMoore if you have any questions

I've seen elsewhere that most non-US HTC's are having this issue. I guess I'll have to wait it out for Cortana the. At least the rest of the OS is awesome enough!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss