Backup always fails

SB Jon

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I deleted old backups via phone and one drive. changed the screen lock photo to low res. did a soft reset. trying to backup only settings, not apps. still not backing up. and now i don't have the old backup which was better than nothing (i guess). so i can't do a hard reset. Does anyone else have a fix for whom the above did not work? not having a backup is a big problem. I have a 620 running developer preview. thanks.

poppo101

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I have tried everything mentioned and still backups fail. Backing up shouldn't be this hard. Unfortunately, unlike Android, there are no third party backup apps to backup the entire phone including settings. You can't even backup the entire phone by plugging it into a computer. I like my Windows phone but it is things like this that should be basic everyday stuff that is making me think about going back to Android.

Snowy Nokia

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Finally!!! Done!
So went to OneDrive site, deleted my device backup.
Turned off glance, since im running glance background beta.
Ran back up, an bam, done!

ali80

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I have Lumia 930 unbranded. I tried everything but failed. First, the back up process stuck at 22% & after 20-30min it continues normally but at 98% after waiting 5-10min it says there is a problem backing up. Now, when I check for the previous backup, I can see 264mb file. I don't have any lock screen app nor preview for developers updates and my questions:

- Is there any app you know causes the failure of the backing up?

- anything I need to do in the setting to make the process faster and smoother?

I really need to backup because I need to fix my broken screen.

Andrew_12191a

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue with my Samsung Ativ S on WP8.1. Changing the lockscreen photo to anothore one with a smaller resolution fixed my problem. Now I'm able to backup my phone again.

ali80

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue with my Samsung Ativ S on WP8.1. Changing the lockscreen photo to anothore one with a smaller resolution fixed my problem. Now I'm able to backup my phone again.

For me a hard rest did work. I didn't download some app to make sure it works.

RoboMWM

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the issue still, even when I have Settings backup set to on. OneDrive app is connected and functional. Backup goes to 99%, then after a minute or less, hits 100% and immediately spits out an error. I don't think I've had a successful-reported backup for many months now... it no longer reports when the last successful backup was. I have not performed a hard reset and don't plan on doing so, since I have some apps that are no longer in the Store.

Phone is Nokia Lumia 928, on WP8.1 dev preview, Black firmware (thank Verizon). OS version: 8.10.14219.341

Things I've tried (each attempt I've restarted the phone and deleted the backup beforehand as well):

- uninstalled Live Lock Screen BETA
- uninstalled Tetra Lockscreen
- removed Start Screen background
- Set lock screen background to Bing, then to the default photo, then to another standard photo.
- Unchecked "theme" in Sync My Settings
- Turned off Kids Corner
- "Turned off" Apps corner (via removing all apps)
- I live in the US, my region is set to US, it hasn't changed otherwise, etc.
- Turned off text message backup

Results:
app backup off: 0 MB (shows up in OneDrive website though)
With app backup on: ~88MB (shows up in OneDrive website as well)

It appears apps aren't the issue, so what other system-level things are there to do?

Last edited:

Dichotomous Byte

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Having the same issue too.. Using windows phone is really frustrating. Skype landline calls has never worked for me. Screen blacks out completely during calls giving me no access to the touch pad, and now this.

CowardlyLions

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
8xt user here. Backup always stops at 14% and never progresses. I'd love to fail at 96% like most of you, but I can't even get close.

EDIT: Progress? turning off "app backup" allowed me to get to 100%.

I sorta get the feeling something about the apps is the problem here. Is it possible I have too many installed or that certain apps cause the problem? I'll try removing a few suspects and seeing if it helps.

Last edited:

Legal-alien-UK

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I have been having this issue since I had the phone, and it kept telling me last backup was 6 months ago. It always stopped at 96%, and then produced an error message. Another forum suggested to go in to 'all settings'>'apps+settings'>'manage backups' and delete the saved backup, as apparently the root cause is a corrupted store backup. Now click on 'back up now' and mine actually reached 100% and then told me 'backed up 2 seconds ago'! Hope this helps somebody else,

firehawk_1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
So, I am using my Lumia 1020.
I have Windows Phone 8.1 Dev Preview.
I deleted the existing backup.
I uninstalled a few beta programs I had downloaded like the glance background and the gestures beta.
I tried the backup again and still fails! This goes to 99% and then fails.

I even changed my settings from US to UK (I live in the UK but prefer the US version of Cortana) and that still didn't work.
Running Windows Phone: 8.10.14219.341

any ideas? I have tried all suggestions I see here which could be applicable to me but no go. It just wont backup...

SamPavlov

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Got my 1020 "wp8.1 final" backup fails at 17% all the time
1. Turned off background work for all apps in battery saving
2. Deleted Whatsup (cause it was the only app that didn't work when backup freezes on 17%)
3. turned backup off
4. deleted old backup from the phone not from onedrive settings
5. rebooted the phone
6. made soft reset (power+volume down keys for 10 sec)
7. turned on backup
8. Made backup manually

It tooks more than 1 hour. Sometimes i though it has been frozen again. Just wait don't leave percentage page. Don't let display turn off to lockscreen (set display time to 5 minutes touch it periodically) After 1 hour it finally backuped. Will do full reset now. Good luck!

Last edited:

takisrock

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought a lumia 930. I did the restore, and all came up the same with my previous Lumia 820 with developer preview.
Now I just updated with Denim and I decide to do a buckup. But it stuck at 97% it say problem, please try again later.

The thing is that I log in to my one drive account to see or maybe delete the old backup, and I see that it said that the last backup was created today. On the phone, it said that last one, was 2 week ago (which I did it then)...

Any thoughts???

takisrock

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
A guy at http://answers.microsoft.com gave this solution...

Remember that you must delete it in this section and by a Browser and no in Backup Manager section in your mobile device!
After delete it, I checked my mobile Date and Time and tried to adjust correct it.
I shut downed my mobile and then I turned on it.
I tried to backup manually by a fast internet connection.
One error shown to me but I try again.
I was successfully and I had a healthy backup of my device.

The question is as I wrote above to my previous post, Do I have to delete it and make a new backup? or leave it as it is?

shishu1

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
If your back up gets stuck. There is a simple workaround that will work for a majority of users. Simply delete your previous backups and then try to backup again.

takisrock

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
And even I may write on a wrong session, I'll continue.
I did delete, the backup from onedrive, from a pc.
I restarted my phone, I did a backup, failed.
I did again, took a while, it said at 97% that error, please try again later,
but at Onedrive there is file with today's date, and on my phone it said, that the last time was 2 weeks ago!

How is that?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12