Microsoft stopped WP8.1 Developer Preview update for all devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I also agree with all his complaints, apart from not having encountered any lag at all. With just one caveat: Once I realized how the new cursor works, I acclimated to it fairly quickly... I'm not sure why they changed it, though. If it ain't broke...

I actually hated the old I beam, it would appear about 10cm away from where your finger was and you had to position it where you wanted it.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. Its a preview. Its full of debug code as all beta code has to monitor and report how it functions for as many varying types of users back to Redmond.
It is a preview of the final release. In other words, it is the same build sent to manufacturers. It is not beta, and is not full of debug code. Yes, it is instrumented, as are all of Microsoft's products. Yes, Windows 7 phones home and tells Microsoft what features you are using, and more (just like Windows XP, Windows 8, Office, and so on). Yes, there may be updates beyond this one before the push through carriers, but just like the preview of GDR3, the intent upon release was that this is the final build.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
It is a preview of the final release. In other words, it is the same build sent to manufacturers. It is not beta, and is not full of debug code.

I've read it before, but, do you have a link with the source? What I've read is MS was sending the final build to manufactures, but not necessarily mean that the build we have is the same than that.

If you have a link where said "the dev preview build is exactly the same build we are sending to manufacturers", I will thank you.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
This, exactly.

Changes to the Photo hub...changes to the awesome scrolling pictures reel.

Changes in the Phone app. Accidentally click on a name while scrolling through recent calls? You're calling them (removed the circled call icon to left). Click on the Contacts icon at the bottom? Well now it's a phonebook and you're calling them when you tap their name instead of looking something up (because heaven forbid a smartphone have multiple capabilities).

THE GOSHDANG MUSIC APP WTF IS THIS STUFF -- I MEAN SERIOUSLY? When we left WP7 behind we wanted gapless playback, maybe better podcast support? They've gone backwards ever since. Seriously backwards.

Games Hub. Not a hub anymore. Just junk.

Messaging. Not a hub anymore.

Me tile. No more integrated social functions. Could still break this stuff out into a Me system level app, updateable but not in your app list, keep up with API changes and the like. Instead I get to stare at the screen for 13 seconds while my 520 pounds away at the bloat of the FB app.

Background tasks. Where are they? Who the hell knows? Did the latest FB just re-enable background tasks for it? Well, it's not at the top anymore so let me scroll all over the place aaahhhh to hell with it. Used to be so easy. Tap, swipe, tap, looook for offenders. Why wasn't it just integrated into there?

The lag is amazing. I go back to the Start screen and it's like being on my old OG Droid and the days of launcher redraws while I wait for things to fill in again.

edit:

why did WP7 have Zune on the desktop with easy syncing support INCLUDING wifi and we have to use Win8 with the worst program ever designed while plugged in and multiple songs AND THROWS ALL THIS CRAP ACROSS THE ROOM :crying::eck::devil:

I know a couple people that returned their windows phone because they needed to make two clicks before they could call someone. There are lots of integrated features that the average may or may not want, and I think it is best that they stripped the features of out the os. Now third party apps can integrate into the operating system, and it is much better this way. THe background tasks are now under the battery saver app. You have to keep in mind that we have generic drivers, so things like this are likely to happen. When my 1520 lags at times, I just restart the phone, and it is back to normal and operating very smoothly that way.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
When things are included with the OS, then they can't get updated regularly. Please realize the reason all your hubs are empty is because 8.1 lets store apps hook into the hubs via the new APIs. You hubs will have everything again once the apps themselves (twitter, facebook, etc.) update to use the new way. This way is much better than before, but you switched to 8.1 before the apps did so don't expect everything to be there right away.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Except, they added Speed Dial...but won't let you pin that to the Start screen.
Except, apps can integrate into the hubs...except APPS can integrate into the hubs, not services, so when you try to comment, BOOM off you go into your app.
They could have still separated the hubs from the core OS (which shouldn't be under carrier/OEM control anyway, that should be kernel/driver/radio and that's about it) and still maintained a much more integrated experience. In order to get updates out, they HAD to break all things multimedia into Music, FM, Podcast, AND Video?! FOUR apps to replace one Hub? Talk about losing their way and why some of us are frustrated!?!

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
And you have to reboot your 1520 to counteract the lag?! The Android conversion is complete!

*goes off frothing at the mouth some more*

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
And you have to reboot your 1520 to counteract the lag?! The Android conversion is complete!

*goes off frothing at the mouth some more*

Careful there buddy. That might be rabies. While you're getting that sorted out. Let's wait and see what MS will do next for the actual release of 8.1. (Carrier will actually oversee who gets bless'd with ye holy update.) If the rabies do make you get an android device... at least A-Central has more news volume?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

It's not just an Android conversion; they've now actually switched places! Rebooting for that reason is hardly necessary anymore with an Android running KitKat (I've had over 1,000 hours uptime more than once).

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've read it before, but, do you have a link with the source? What I've read is MS was sending the final build to manufactures, but not necessarily mean that the build we have is the same than that.

If you have a link where said "the dev preview build is exactly the same build we are sending to manufacturers", I will thank you.

What I have is experience. When I said it about GDR3 and the Developer Preview, I was proven right. And while I can't find a link quickly right now, I will be proven right again.

EDIT:
Here you go. First paragraph.
Microsoft Delivers Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview | Paul Thurrotts WinInfo content from Windows IT Pro

sethpogi

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
And it was just now that I've read this, unfortunately I deleted 80% of my apps for the update. I deleted most of my most used apps, then no update? ****.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
What I have is experience. When I said it about GDR3 and the Developer Preview, I was proven right. And while I can't find a link quickly right now, I will be proven right again.

EDIT:
Here you go. First paragraph.
Microsoft Delivers Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview | Paul Thurrotts WinInfo content from Windows IT Pro

Well, maybe you need more experience, read the source of your source:

The version of Windows Phone 8.1 you will get from the developer preview is "final," but it does not include any device firmware or driver updates that will accompany the future, public releases of his update on specific handsets. Also, Microsoft typically delivers small post-RTM updates that handset makers include with their phones; this release does not include any of that.

And...

You will later be able to update to the general release of Windows Phone 8.1, if available for your device (most will get it), which will include firmware and driver updates as well as post-RTM updates.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Exactly... Some people act like it has bricked their device or something. Maybe some are better off getting an Apple...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro