Question: What is Advertisement ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

debuke

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
(precursor: i just love it when people talk but don't answer questions.)

it looks like an ID they use to track your movements online and associate items, services, etc. leave it on if you like to be targeted (not necessarily a bad thing) but if you just want the generic ads turn it off... it's a personal choice.

subsequent questions are:

- how safe is my data and communications to these targeted ads?
- do i exclude myself from new opportunities?
- how is it killing my battery (if at all)?

those are questions i'll keep an ear to the ground for. even if i DO have to weed through a slew of comments that don't answer the question... :)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here:-

Microsoft said:
Advertising Identifier

To provide more relevant advertising, Windows Phone allows apps to access a unique identifier for each owner of a device. You can reset or turn off access to this identifier at any time under advertising ID in settings. If you turn this setting off, no information is sent to apps that request your advertising identifier. If you sign in using a child Microsoft account, the advertising identifier is disabled. If you allow apps access to the advertising identifier, Windows Phone will provide it to all apps that request it. Apps may store or transmit this information. Your advertising identifier is used by app developers and advertising networks to provide more relevant advertising to you by understanding which apps you use and how you use them. It can also be used by app developers to improve service quality by allowing them to determine the frequency and effectiveness of ads and to detect fraud and security issues. If you use a third-party app, how the app uses your advertising identifier is subject to the third party?s privacy practices.

Some websites you visit and some applications you download from the Store may display advertisements using Microsoft's advertising platform ? including personalised ads that we believe may be of interest to you. To learn more about Microsoft Advertising and your choices, see the Display of Advertising section.

Your Choices:

If you choose express settings while setting up Windows Phone, Windows Phone will allow apps to use your advertising identifier. After setting up Windows Phone, you can change this under advertising ID in settings.

To turn the advertising ID on or off:

1.Go to Settings > system > advertising ID.
2.Toggle the Advertising ID switch to On or Off.

To reset your advertising ID:

1.Go to Settings > System > advertising ID.
2.Tap the Reset your advertising ID button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3