8.1 Developer Preview Everything Music Thread

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
hasn't it been 2 weeks?since the last update? Thought we were getting bi-weekly updates for xbox music app. But I don't hear anyone else talking about it.

The last update and the handling of the delay are such big let down that I already lost faith in the team....

TheRotfler

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
The last update and the handling of the delay are such big let down that I already lost faith in the team....

Me too.
It's just a strategy.
MS always removes a lot of features at every big step (WP6.5->WP7, WP7->WP8 and so on) and reintroduce them in few years, just before jumping again.
So, after few years, you just get what you had few years earlier in older platform but feeling like have received a lot of updates and get excited over them.
Music app will not make an exception.

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
This is one of those examples of making the choice for us rather than giving us an option. MS has a way of taking functionality away because a minority doesn't want it. So they will keep going backwards until the device is a feature phone.

A thousand times YES.

Things like this are totally personal preference - some people liked having the controls there, some didn't, some don't care - probably in roughly equal numbers. Any solution you hard-code is going to **** off somebody - that's what optional settings are FOR.

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
This is one of those examples of making the choice for us rather than giving us an option. MS has a way of taking functionality away because a minority doesn't want it. So they will keep going backwards until the device is a feature phone.

I'm all for more customization but you can't make everything an option. It'd be much to confusing for regular users not to mention the amount of testing you'd have to do to make sure even the simplest changes worked in all cases. We'd be lucky to get a new release once a year.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Yup. This is bull. Microsoft is kind of proving what I've suspected for about five years ago. They've just lost their touch.

I have no idea why the biggest software company in the world can't get it together.

yaron zeevik

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Yup. This is bull. Microsoft is kind of proving what I've suspected for about five years ago. They've just lost their touch.

I have no idea why the biggest software company in the world can't get it together.

It's so aabsourd that the biggest software company in the world can't make a decent music app...

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm all for more customization but you can't make everything an option. It'd be much to confusing for regular users not to mention the amount of testing you'd have to do to make sure even the simplest changes worked in all cases. We'd be lucky to get a new release once a year.

Maybe you can't make EVERYTHING an option (though fans of the EMACS text editor might disagree), but it's not necessarily true that more options make things more confusing for "regular" users, as long as they're done correctly. You make sensible defaults that work the way you think most users will want them to work (as Microsoft has done) - and then you let those users who disagree with you change those defaults, through a well-thought-out Settings section, with logical groupings.

The "increased testing" thing is a valid point, but it's marginal. I've heard the idea stated as, "Every checkbox you add to the UI doubles your test matrix," and that's a grotesque exaggeration. Think about the number of user-selectable options in Microsoft Word, for example - if it were really a requirement that every combination of settings be tested together, that would be literally *billions* of test cases, and Word would never be released. That's not the way testing works.

The ideal program for me is one where I don't HAVE to configure anything, but I COULD configure everything.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I know I read that the whole purpose of ripping the music and video hub out of the OS was so that MS could release updates quicker and more efficiently. Yes we did get an update a couple weeks ago and have been promised one for this week...but I couldn't see any difference at all after the last update and am having a lot of doubt about whether there will be one this week at all.

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I know I read that the whole purpose of ripping the music and video hub out of the OS was so that MS could release updates quicker and more efficiently. Yes we did get an update a couple weeks ago and have been promised one for this week...but I couldn't see any difference at all after the last update and am having a lot of doubt about whether there will be one this week at all.

The main difference I saw in the update two weeks ago was that list population got faster. Still WAY too slow, but faster. There were supposedly stability fixes as well - can't really say much about that - it hasn't crashed on me post-upgrade, but it only crashed once or twice pre-upgrade, so that's not much of a sample size.

As far as I know, nothing's been said about the next update (either its content or its date).

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
So, while the old music hub wasn't perfect, but at least it worked properly. The new hub crashes most of the time and when it doesn't it seems to not find newly added music on my phone or at least takes days to find it (you heard right, I added a song yesterday morning and it just showed up this afternoon.).

But my biggest gripe is that I can no longer queue songs. I usually just hit the "shuffle" button to listen to my music. When I decide to listen to a specific song I used to just open the app, keep my finger on the song and select "add to current playlist". It would then queue the song next on line and keep on with the shuffle afterwards. Either I am doing something wrong or this is no longer working. When I add a song, it gets added to the playlist at the very end. I can't even go to the "edit playlist" mode (which is really the only improvement over the old hub) and move the song up to be next cause the playlist is not saved. So, right now I have to stop the current playback or just start playing the song instantly, which results in only that song playing, I'd have to restart shuffle afterwards.

Please tell me I'm just missing something...

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Just got the update. Still a total mess. Doesn't the 630 come out next week? How are they going to ship a new phone with a music experience this embarrassingly and shockingly bad?

wp_ss_20140510_0001.png

The update has decided Joe Jackson albums should be categorized under Haim.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99