WP 8.1 Hidden Wifi Settings MISSING?

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Off topic-

My iPhone 5S works with my company's hidden network.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses!

All my apple gear work just fine - iPad airs, rMBPs, MB Airs and iPhones.

Citizen X:

Don't get me started with the genius bar. The blood pressure starts to rise just thinking about those chaps, honestly!

I've got business Apple care on my devices - basically you don't have to wait to see a child and frankly, the service is apples and oranges.

I'm a windows guy myself, and you better believe those mac devices are running Windows for real work lol.

On point, the 1520 in question worked under wp8.0.

On wp8.1 I have tried it with cellular off - thanks for the post, it shares my mindset and way of thinking!

I've also tried to connect it to an ssid (hidden) coming off an Asus 66u router, an ac/n compliant one - no luck.

I have no idea what is going on?

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes, actually three or four.

I've got the device with none of my accounts connected, bar a dummy ms account, just for testing.

No luck.

Went as far as using one router for testing this device specifically.

I have many alternate devices so it's not life or death. I just want to know what on earth is going on and why out works under wp8.0.

NastySasquatch

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It probably doesn't work because the 8.1 dev preview jacks up the firmware to the wifi radios.

I have issues with my 1520 connecting to a ton of visible ssids. When you add In the flat out 25% loss of signal fidelity by removing the said handshake...

Anyway I bet when the cyan update rolls out you'll have functionality again. I know my 1520 only has about half the wifi strength it had before the dev preview was applied.

Magnetic_dud

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Citizen said:
I had a situation where my wifi wasn't working on my 1520. I wanted to test the 80 MHz ac connectivity. So I constrained which bands were being used on my router and I put my phone in airplane mode and turned on just wifi. Well after numerous pointless lectures about the evils of hidden networks I declared this forum a waste of time and researched my own answer. After a few hours I finally figured out that that particular kind of ac connectivity requires two antennas. By trying to be careful and scientific in testing my phone I actually created a problem. When the phone needs two antennas for wifi it turns out it uses the cellular antenna. By disabling the cellular antenna I made the 80 MHz ac connectivity inaccessible.

Thanks!
I'm using my Lumia as a tablet, meaning I kept in airplane mode with wifi enabled. For some weird reasons, it can connect to my home router only with the gsm antenna enabled!
Thanks for the hint!

ggprice

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I was having the same problem with a Surface Pro 3. The easiest workaround is to set your modem to broadcast its SSID, establish the Surface Pro's WiFi connection with it, then turn off the modem's SSID broadcasting. This worked for me.

Searching across the web, I found reports that this difficulty is fairly common in implementations of Windows 8.1 and is not limited to the Surface Pro. Some claim that the original WiFi specification called for the SSID to be broadcast and that the intended interoperability of the specification is compromised by hiding the SSID; they go on to claim that Windows 8.1 therefore omitted the "hidden networks" feature.

Some of those discussions point to articles like the following, which are worth reading.

"Myth No. 1: Don't broadcast your SSID" in Eric Geier's PC World article of October 7, 2013, 5 Wi-Fi security myths you must abandon now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte