VPN question: What does "Don't use VPN for home Wi-Fi traffic" really do?

OzoneAction

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I've been setting up my phone to use a VPN connection when I'm using public wi-fi. I'm using hide.me as my VPN provider and I was able to set up the VPN connection itself without any problem. In the "Advanced" settings for this VPN connection there's an option which says "Don't use VPN for home Wi-Fi traffic". That option is just a toggle ("yes/no") and there aren't any other fields that go along with that option. I have that option turned on in my configuration.

If I set my VPN connection to "Automatic" the VPN connection is getting used whenever I'm on wi-fi -- even when I'm home. I can see the little lock symbol next to my wifi icon and when I use a service like whatsmyip.org it shows that I'm getting routed through a VPN server. Does anyone know how that option is supposed to work? Is it supposed to use location information to know when I'm home? I'm pretty sure that Cortana knows when I'm home because I get notified when it's time to leave for work.

For now I just have the VPN connection set to "manual" and I turn it on myself when I'm using a public wi-fi but I'd rather just be able to set it to "automatic" so that I don't have to think about it.

Does anyone have any insight into how that "Don't use VPN for home Wi-Fi traffic" option is supposed to work?

lad33

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Did you ever work this out? I'm wondering the same thing as I'd like to have the VPN off automatically at home.

Endja

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
The only thing I could think of is that the VPN will not connect when you have set you "Home" location in Cortana, but have tested it. It still connects, maybe it's a bug. It could better have a list of Wireless networks, which you can set as defined "Home".

Work in progress...

davebwi

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
It will NOT run your local Internet Browsing thru the VPN when set to ignore wifi traffic at home. so , when you are browsing and looking at files on your work server, or whatever you VPN connected to, those are secure, when you open your browser and go to say msn.com... that will go direct like not on the VPN... You could route all traffic thru VPN, but usually this would be slower, cause has to encrypt and go thru all VPN hops...hope that helps
Dave::eek:rly:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786