Does Hard reset on WP 8.1 remove apps from SD Card?

kishorekumar_a

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 820 installed with a 32GB Class 10 SD Card. All my apps and games are installed in SD Card (except for some apps that won't let me do that). I have all the Backup options turned on and do backups manually once in a while too.

I was browsing through the forums where I read that a hard reset improves your battery life on WP 8.1. I have not done a hard reset after updating to WP 8.1 Preview. While my battery life is not as bad as some describe (it is still down from what it was in WP8), I would certainly like to do a hard reset.

So my question is this: If I do a hard reset now, will it retain the apps on the SD Card? Or will it try to overwrite that from the backup? If I skip the restore option, will the OS recognize the apps from the SD Card?

And any additional details, related to this, are also welcome...:smile:

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Apps in SD card is not removed but will be rendered useless as hard reset resets encryption key as well. So all the apps and app data encrypted on SD card will be useless and be prompted to remove the next time you use it. Also, unless your app is specifically written for WP 8.1 and supports backup feature, its data won't be backed up no matter how you do it.

vishwanath singh

May 14, 2013
Visit site
this really sucks. again install the apps for hard reset. the phone should read apps automatically from sd card. surely going to ditch my lumia 620..really anoying

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
this really sucks. again install the apps for hard reset. the phone should read apps automatically from sd card. surely going to ditch my lumia 620..really anoying

it's not that annoying. it's just time and data consuming. prefer wifi for later setup.
read this first.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ot-restored-after-hard-reset-dev-preview.html

WP 8.1 restores itself completely. u don't have to do anything. just sit back, relax. connect wifi & charger in the night and go down to sleep.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I did this a couple days ago. My apps wouldn't load. Once I reset and logged in with my Microsoft ID it just downloaded all my apps again and prompt me to over write the current apps on my SD card. With the exception of a few settings the phone was exactly the way it was before I started including home screen layout. And this was after switching phones.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I did this a couple days ago. My apps wouldn't load. Once I reset and logged in with my Microsoft ID it just downloaded all my apps again and prompt me to over write the current apps on my SD card. With the exception of a few settings the phone was exactly the way it was before I started including home screen layout. And this was after switching phones.

that all correct. the existing apps are needed to be overwritten because of the change is script id / keys, as the existing apps which are not deleted while hard reset render useless.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes