I believe I solved the 8.1 battery issue. Please read.

AgentWhiteBread

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Final photo album, phone lasted 52.5 hours. http://imgur.com/a/5ALMv

I posted this on reddit, /r/windowsphone, but I figure it would do more good over here.

I have not downloaded the update to developer preview yet. I am still using the "faulty" one. I am using a black lumia 1520 with the 3,400 mah battery.

This is not your usual "I'm gonna complain about horrible battery life in my 920" post. In this post, I fix the battery life issue using rather... unorthodox ways.

I tried out battery saver mode and my phone died in 5 hours with the screen off while I was asleep. I charged the phone to 100% and tried out battery saver again, thinking this was a fluke. Nope, I got an alarm that my phone was dying faster than 15% per hour (Thank you battery performance app) and sure enough it was dying FAST. Once again, this was while using the battery saver application.

Here was my settings during these tests: **Warning. These settings may cause your battery to drain extremely quickly.** I'm just posting these settings for science. If someone wants to risk their phone and try it, go ahead.

* I had reset the phone once BEFORE charging it to 100% to make sure the readings were accurate. I reset the phone AGAIN after it reached 100% to make sure it was accurate.

* Airplane mode.

* Brightness set to automatic low.

* Theme dark violet.

* No sounds for anything except system alerts.

* Internet sharing off.

* Lock screen 30 seconds.

* Battery saver turned on ALL the time, not just when low. Phone at 100% battery charge.

* Screen rotation unlocked.

* Project my screen off.

* Find my phone off.

* Backup off.

* Sync my settings off.

* Driving mode off.

* Quiet hours off.

* Advertising ID off.

* Feedback disabled.

* Sunlight readability off.

* Battery saver brightness off.

* Glance disabled.

* Ringer off when phone is turned over.

* Touch sensitivity normal.

* Double tap off.

* Navigation bar vibrations off.

NONE of my applications were not allowed to function in the background. NONE of them. Email and weather were set to check for updates once per day.

My start screen has: Amazing weather HD. Nokia Camera. Phone. Messaging. Calendar. Hotmail. Cortana. IE. Nokia Car App. Settings. Battery saver. Data sense. Storage sense.

Both times I tried it, my phone died very very quickly. Like I said, about 20% per hour.

This confused me because before my phone regularly lasted over 24 hours with medium use. The other day, I was losing 11% per hour while charging the phone with the charger that came with the phone. Battery saver was on while I was charging.

I am posting this information here because I have no idea where to contact a member of microsoft so they can test this out for themselves and maybe fix this bug because I think the bug has to do with the battery saver app.

Now if you're having battery issues, you're going to turn on battery saver. If battery saver is killing your battery, you're going to get a surge of people complaining that there's nothing they can do to save battery because battery saver is killing their battery, not saving it.

**End of Part where I complain about battery life.**

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Beginning of part where I fixed battery life.**

I have NOT downloaded the latest update, so if that fixed your battery life, cool. Yesterday at 5am was when my phone died the first time. I charged the phone to 100% and within an hour it was trying to kill itself again. So now it was about 1pm. I charged the phone to 100%, did the whole reset twice thing. Here are my current settings.

* My theme is dark.

* Ringer is on full volume with vibrate on (I'm sure this doesn't matter, but for the sake of science and w/e.). *I have my email account set to sync once an hour, same with my weather app.

* Internet sharing is off.

* Lock time is 30 seconds.

* Wi-fi is on.

* Wi-fi sense is on, all boxes checked.

* Airplane mode is off.

* Bluetooth is off.

* Cellular data is on. Roaming is off.

* NFC is off.

* VPN is off.

* No workplace account or kid's corner.

* Battery saver is ALWAYS off.

* Data sense restrict when near limit. Restrict background data when roaming. Set to automatic.

* Brightness, turn automatic off, set level to low, then turn automatic on.

* Screen rotation is unlocked.

* Project my screen is not connected.

* Find my phone is on.

* Everything is set to back up except videos.

* Sync my settings only syncs app settings and internet explorer.

* Driving mode is off.

* Quiet hours doesn't matter, I have it turned off but it automatically turns on from 9pm to 7am.

* Location is on.

* Advertising ID is on.

* Feedback is enabled.

* Ease of access, text is as small as possible, everything else is off.

* Display, both are on. Color temp and saturation is maxed out.

* Glance is set to peek. Always on while charging. Lock screen notifications. Night mode red from 9pm-7am.

* Audio enhancements flip to silence is on.

* Touch is set to high and everything else is on.

Now for application settings.

* Cortana, everything is on, facebook is signed out. Speech settings is off for incoming text messages. Search settings safe search off, allow microsoft to store images.

* Internet explorer, mobile version, tabs, automatic data sense savings.

* Maps use my location.

* Messaging everything on.

* People location on.

* Photos everything is checked on all the boxes.

* Store everything is on.

Now for applications allowed to run in the background.

* **Battery performance always allowed.**

* Battery saver always allowed.

* **Internet explorer always allowed.**

* **Amazing weather HD always allowed.**

* **Cortana Always allowed.**

* OneDrive always allowed.

* Store always allowed.

* **Calendar always allowed.**

* Here Drive+ Always allowed.

* Everything else is not allowed to run in the background. Bold applications are live tiles.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

The ONLY time I change anything, is that I turn off Wi-fi when I leave home so it's not constantly searching.

**It has been 12 hours of light to medium use and my battery is at 82%.** I have reset the phone to make sure it isn't some bug and the battery went down 1% but that's it.

I'm not sure what's going on, but I thought you guys would find my findings interesting. At this rate my phone should last over 3 days, with location, wifi, and cellular data set to on and all the fixins available. Once again this is on a 1520 with the 3,400 mah battery.

After my phone dies, I will install the update and if battery life changes at all, I will let you guys know.

Tl;Dr Turned everything off (Wifi, data, location) and phone died in 5 hours. Turned everything ON and the phone should last 4 days.

Last edited:

shielah

May 18, 2012
Visit site
How is the battery saver is allowed to run in your back ground of you have it turned off BC it was killing your battery??? 😖

AgentWhiteBread

May 16, 2014
Visit site
How is the battery saver is allowed to run in your back ground of you have it turned off BC it was killing your battery??? ��

You can "allow" something to run in the background even if it isn't on. Turn location settings off and you can still allow cortana to run in the background even though cortana doesn't work when location is off.

AgentWhiteBread

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Wonder if this would work on my 920... Have to plug in one a day with need use at home. Running 8.1

From what I've heard, with regular use the 920 doesn't get more than 16-20 hours of battery life so plugging it in once per day is probably a good idea.

Sadly compared to the rest of my family and friend, 16 hours would be a god send. My friends Galaxy S4 lasts about 10 hours and my mom's iPhone 5s lasts even less!

The 900 and below series just have tiny batteries. 2k maH is nothing nowadays. However I'm thinking Microsoft "optimized" the phones for being always connected so turning things off actually kills the battery faster for some reason.

AgentWhiteBread

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 1520 8.1 Dev preview - Imgur

Here's an album of my battery life. I've had location services on the entire time. Wi-fi I only turned off for five hours while I was away from any wi-fi hotspots. At this rate, my battery will last in excess of 48 hours. It has dropped 39% in 19 hours and it's idling at 1% per hour. It should be at roughly 50% by the time I wake up (28 hours since I charged it.)

I look forward to updating everyone with my findings! It would be great if I can get my battery to last 50+ hours on a single charge! Once I upgrade to the latest update of 8.1, my phone will easily surpass the battery life of my old blackberry!

AgentWhiteBread

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Battery Performance | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Battery performance app. It's $1.30 and it lets you know how your battery is doing compared to others, how long until a full charge, how much battery you are using per hour, you can set alerts if your battery is dying too fast, and once it gets used to your normal usage pattern, how long your battery will last until your phone dies.

Because I spent 12+ hours killing my phone as fast as possible, it has said my phone is only going to last another 13 hours for the past 21 hours :p even though my phone is only losing 1% per hour.

I've also learned that glance set to peek absolutely wrecks my battery when I have long texting coversations. Like 5% battery drop per hour.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Battery Performance | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Battery performance app. It's $1.30 and it lets you know how your battery is doing compared to others, how long until a full charge, how much battery you are using per hour, you can set alerts if your battery is dying too fast, and once it gets used to your normal usage pattern, how long your battery will last until your phone dies.

Because I spent 12+ hours killing my phone as fast as possible, it has said my phone is only going to last another 13 hours for the past 21 hours :p even though my phone is only losing 1% per hour.

I've also learned that glance set to peek absolutely wrecks my battery when I have long texting coversations. Like 5% battery drop per hour.

I tried that app and found that it used more battery while using it much the same as all the other battery apps out there but there are a few that don't use much battery at all.

Also your using a 1520 which has a huge battery, with my 1520 I get between 10 and 13 hours actual screen on time over 3-4 days between charges. From a full charge my 1520 will go to 99% within an hour or so and with moderate use it would be around 80-85% after 24 hours.

What do you call moderate usage?

I have location
Bluetooth on
WiFi on
18 apps always allowed with 10 live tiles
Glance set to peak
Double tap on
WiFi sense off
Cortana always on

I use 2-3% per hour battery when on the web using mobile versions of the sites

I use 7-9% per hour battery when on the desktop versions of the sites.

During idle it is a constant 0.2-0.3% per hour.

The last update didn't change anything.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
All this is rehashing everything ever written about WP battery life with the exception of now some folks are running 8.1 . And very long winded. All this turning things on and off is ridiculous.

Battery Saver does not save your battery.............until you are down to 15% (??? default). Otherwise it does nothing. At that point it turns off functions it deems not necessary to just keep your phone on. No wifi? Well, doh. Keep the wifi on, no saving of battery.

It's a known fact that the WP OS uses the battery over a very wide range, just sitting on idle. My 810 is always on wifi, always on 4G (the 2G only option uses less juice), five minute display on time if I don't close it down first. Sometimes it uses less than 1% an hour, i.e., more than four days standby. More typically, 2-4%/hr. Sometimes 10% and more. All just up and down, no obvious reason. Sometimes a reboot fixes the battery drain.

I use the Battery Sense app. I think it was a buck. It nicely graphs the use and life. As of this moment, .7% an hour, five plus days to go on standby.

That's the long and short of it. Nobody has fixed anything yet that I can see.

dudamuniz

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
​Battery issue has been resolved (nokia 920) with the latest update for developers. Before the upgrade the battery was gone when I was using waze or here maps, even if the smartphone was pluged.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon