Installing apps without a SD card (8.1)

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

Before I start I would like to say that I searched for this in the forums, but couldn't find anything so I decided to share it..

A few months ago one of my favorite apps stop receiving updates so I decided to uninstall it since I had found a suitable replacement.
However for some reason I just kept missing the old app so I went into the store and searched, but the app was no longer published.
I downloaded the file (after going through my purchase history), but since my phone has no SD support I was stuck.....

So I was happy to learn that for those with 8.1 we can install apps without actually having an SD card option!!!

Here are the steps:

• Download the app from Windows Phone store. That would be a XAP file and the option is available on every app page, bottom right.
  • Connect your phone to your PC using the data cable.
  • Copy the app to SD card or Phone storage.
  • Unplug and open the Windows Phone Store.
  • Now tap on the menu bar and a new option will be available, Install Local Apps.
  • Tap on this and it will let you install right away.
  • Installing multiple apps is also possible.

I would like to note that all the credit should go to Ashish over on Windows Phone & Xbox App + Game Reviews, Tutorials, How To & News

This is the original link (which also has a youtube vid to help out):

Install Apps from SD Card & Phone Storage in Windows Phone 8.1

Hope this helps all of you that ever wanted to install an app manually, but couldn't.... :angel:

RudraPratap Singh

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I am in the state of confusion. You are saying that one can install the apps without using SD car. And on the other hand, you are utilizing SD cars to save the apps. I think that the topic relates to "Install apps in windows phone without Internet".

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
He's trying to say that you can place the xap. file in the phone storage too, in addition to the SD card storage. I think he copied it directly 😉

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Lol I can see why you're confused.. In my defense I did say "or" stating that this works for both options... SD card or just phone storage.. But I will edit that part out later.. Thanks for mentioning it :)

Darkstar159

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Where do you put the xap file in the phone memory so that the store recognises it? I have it in the root but the store doesn't seem to get the install local apps option

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb