Are there any email apps for 8.1 that don't suck?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you understand my issue. My issue is that it doesn't show me the total amount of unread emails.it only shows me new emails since the last time I've opened the mail app. And even when I click the unread section in the app it still doesn't show how many emails are unread even if my accounts are linked together.

MetroMail will show you the total # of unread emails. You can pin tiles specific for each account you add to it. The pinned tiles will tell you the number of NEW emails and when you go into the tile, you can see the total number of unread emails like you want. I don't know of one that will show you the # of unread ones on the tile itself.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
MetroMail will show you the total # of unread emails. You can pin tiles specific for each account you add to it. The pinned tiles will tell you the number of NEW emails and when you go into the tile, you can see the total number of unread emails like you want. I don't know of one that will show you the # of unread ones on the tile itself.

I know metro mail will at least show me in the app itself but its just really slow and sluggish on my phone. Not sure why its that way. May not be optimized for WP 8.1.

fueledbygin

May 23, 2014
Visit site
If you're looking for fast, smooth, full-feature third party email clients for WP 8/8.1, you're out of luck. Metromail is full-featured, but like all the third party email clients on the platform, is rather slow.

The fastest app is, of course, the basic mail app that comes with WP 8/8.1, but it's also severely lacking in features.

Unfortunately, this is rather systemic of the platform. Try to find a calendar app that isn't just a wrapper for the built in calendar, as another example of either:

a) Poor platform apis
b) Poor developer skills
c) Some combination of the two

..that are available for WP. :(

At the moment, I make do with the built in mail app, after spending a ton of time on the actual email services working on a gazillion filters so as to keep the inbox manageable. I do miss things like "tabs" and other basic organizational concepts email apps on other platforms have had for...a while now.

And, yes, Metromail has this type of stuff, but it is so freakin' slow. I'm not sure if I can really fault them, as I don't believe I've encountered any third party email app (not that there are many) for WP 8/8.1 that isn't super slow.

There is a "new" app that is supposedly in the works that at least looks pretty/like something you might be able to find on iOS or Android. No idea if they've managed to make an imap client that is actually fast for the platform. But, you can keep an eye on it for its eventual beta release at: http://www.maestroapp.com/ which their latest update claims will come out this month.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Basically I need Push notifications for more than the # of mailboxes currently allowed by WP. Metromail allows me to do that.

dezzilakk

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Not having the ability to select all mail, to mark as urgent yourself, from the phone, not being able to tag certain emails differently, no filter support from within the app. I've gone from Blackberry 10 to this and I'm really disappointed. Microsoft doesn't really care. And now cue the horde of people saying it's still the best mail client, that it's probably my fault, that they don't need what I need so therefore no one needs it.

pdt

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
How about spam filtering? That feature would be very helpful.

Yes, this is really important if the mail app is to be taken seriously. The whitelist/blacklist and Rules from desktop Outlook need to sync to the phone and be effective, and I need to be able to add new addresses to the blacklist from my phone using the Junk/Block Sender feature. I've found that it helps to leave Outlook running on my desktop computer since it filters messages and the results (messages removed from my inbox) eventually sync to MS Exchange Online and then to my phone. But it doesn't stop the graymail from showing up for awhile on my phone while all this happens.

Of course, if I could really get my wish, Microsoft would take care of all of this on its Exchange Online servers, and the spam would never get to me at all unless I want to see it. But that's too logical.

Whit Taylor

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
This thread is ancient, but I shall reply to the ether. Windows 8.1 is hopelessly broken and Mail is a particular disappointment. The best hardware on the planet can't offset the deficiencies in software.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OFFSET