Has Microsoft forgotten about resuming Cyan update for those on Developer Preview?

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Actually, the ideal thing would be to halt the update for just those devices that use Bitlocker, but I guess that the issue runs deeper than that.

Anyway, right now they should either resume the update, or at least give us a reason for the delay/ a timeframe.

Riddle me this... without the phone broadcasting stuff it shouldn't, how would the update servers know the device talking to it has Bitlocker turned on? It can't, and the phone doesn't send such information out so they blocked all users on the Preview as that's the easier thing to do.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes, in fact, they've probably forgotten about WP all together and wandered off into a conference room to play Halo.

But seriously, it's posts like this that make me wish MS had raised the requirements to install the DP a little bit higher.

I doubt they can teach people to read and accept the phrase " using this preview software is at your own risk, and you accept that things can/will go wrong, due to the nature of the software".

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I doubt they can teach people to read and accept the phrase " using this preview software is at your own risk, and you accept that things can/will go wrong, due to the nature of the software".

All software says that (except the word "preview"). Completely irrelevant.

kevin hill3

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I am fairly new to this sight and for the last few months I have enjoyed reading and keeping up to date on all the new Windows OS features, and it was only a few months ago that I updated my 920 to the 8,1 preview, and I do love it. But WOW reading the forums on this sight is like listening to a bunch of spoiled little kids not getting the newest and best toys. Is the Cyan update going to make your phone so much better then it already is? I mean really? If they let it out today and your phone locked up or you had some other problem you would be on here complaining that they didn't get it right and what is wrong with Microsoft. So maybe it is better to wait till they do fix it, and I am sure they will. There is still a lot of people out there still running Windows 8 waiting for the update to 8.1 and if it wasn't for wanting Cortana I would be one of them. But it wasn't a make or break deal that I had to have it, Microsoft made it easy to get and I am happy with my decision to download the preview. And I am happy to wait until they fix the Cyan update, it is not like it will make a new phone out of an old one. Even if you bought a new one with all the new software it would still not work any better than the one you have now.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Riddle me this... without the phone broadcasting stuff it shouldn't, how would the update servers know the device talking to it has Bitlocker turned on? It can't, and the phone doesn't send such information out so they blocked all users on the Preview as that's the easier thing to do.

Why does the phone have to broadcast stuff over the internet? A simple if statement in the update code would solve the issue.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
People here are arguing that beta software comes with its own risks, and that we were warned about them before installing the developer preview.

Guys, how ignorant can you be? Did you even read my original post? I didn't ask Microsoft to fix every issue right away and put everything else on hold.
I simply asked them for a confirmation, or a message saying "Yes, we are still working on a fix and it will be some time (a month or so) before we can roll it out."

Of course that's not to say that I wont be happy if the update started tomorrow.

The whole purpose of this thread was to bring it to Microsoft's notice that users are waiting for this update, and it would be nice if they could tell us how long would it be until we can expect the update.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Also, for the people who think this is just another whine-and-complain thread, why even bother replying to it, then?

The people who are facing this problem can surely understand and hence express their dissatisfaction here, while the others that understand our problem are here offering helpful advice. We have already got good people here.
This thread doesn't need you to whine and complain about what you consider whining and complaining.

crussell1492

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I am willing to flash to go back to the non Preview release, install Cyan, and then re-install Preview, but does anyone know if Cyan for Icon is available yet, before I jump through these hoops?

sameermehta2

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
are you crying so passionate about everything? Next time don't enrol into preview/alpha/beta programs and enjoy your devices like the other people in the market. you can still reset your device and go along the way it is intended to be for the average user.

Are you referring to my post

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I was tired of the waiting and restored WP 8.1 Cyan to my phone with the Nokia Software Recovery Tool. After that I installed DP again and installed Update 1. Then I restored my backup. Worked very well only that the Store is not accessible right now for my phone so it cant install all the apps again. Hope this will work again soon.

kevin hill3

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I do not see where you think that you have a problem. The only problem with this thread is that you all have no patience and you want it fixed right now. Does your phone have a problem? did it stop working because you did not get the new update? Does anything else you own come with free updates ? The thread had a good title, and yes I wonder when we will get the update, but I found no answers here just complaints about why we should . And I do apologize for my whining about the whiners I just have a problem with spoiled children, sorry, I will strive to do better.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
But with commercial software, you have every right to complain if something goes wrong.

What "right" are you talking about? Who decides that, you? The Preview for Developers is commercial software. You can ***** about a regular release as much as you like you still have no special privilege to demand a fix compared to the DP.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It would need to tell the update server if it's running Bitlocker or not. THAT's my point.

And my point was that IT DOES NOT NEED TO DO THAT.
Take a look at this example (although keep in mind that this is a highly generalized one):
The software package for the update could simply include a conditional statement like
if (Bitlocker.status==true)
{
stopUpdate();
String display= "Your device has Bitlocker encryption enabled. As of now, Cyan can not be installed to your device.";
}

See? The software package itself checks if Bitlocker is enabled and stops the update. The phone doesn't have to broadcast anything to the servers of Microsoft.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I do not see where you think that you have a problem. The only problem with this thread is that you all have no patience and you want it fixed right now. Does your phone have a problem? did it stop working because you did not get the new update? Does anything else you own come with free updates ? The thread had a good title, and yes I wonder when we will get the update, but I found no answers here just complaints about why we should . And I do apologize for my whining about the whiners I just have a problem with spoiled children, sorry, I will strive to do better.

Please read the original post again. I have added some clarification points.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney