Q:Windows Phone onPfD backup/restore procedure

josipogo

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Couple of simple question.
Current situation:
Old phone Lumia 920 with installed PfD, still in my possession.
New phone Lumia 930 with latest consumer release, meaning that I am not yet install PfD.

What is initially strange, new phone during setup procedure did not ask me to restore backup from cloud. Does anyone know why setup procedure did not ask me to perform restore when I use same Microsoft account as on my old phone?

Second, on old phone under backup is written that last backup is seven days old, when I click backup now, backup stuck on 98% for a long, long time, let say more than one hour. Is this normal? While I write this post backup procedure is stopped and said There was a problem backing up your phone settings. Try again later.

Does the both phone need to be on PfD for proper restore procedure, second is there any bug in PfD for proper backing up phone setting?

What I am forget to ask is that originally old phone is set it up to Bosnia and Herzegovina region but because of Cortana is switch to USA, do I need to switch back to original regional setting for proper backup?

Thanks,

Josipogo

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
First off if you can't backup and it fails at x% then go into OneDrive and delete the backup file, then try again.

When I upgraded from a pfd to non pfd phone the restore worked, but not perfectly. The reason what that the pfd phone had live folders but at the time the non pfd one didn't, so the home screen was a bit messed up.

Restoring only works perfectly if the software versions are the same or very similar. But I can't understand why it didn't offer you the option to restore?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

josipogo

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Figure it out, initially when I am set it up new phone instead of using original mail address for sign in, I was use alias (it was easier). Later I was reset new phone to factory default and sign in with original mail address, then offer me from what backup I prefers restoration.
In general I do not see reason why was not work with alias during sign in, maybe Microsoft change this behavior in future and enable sign in process with alias like it work when signing to their portals.
Regarding backup of old phone, seven days old backup is more then fine, I will not trying to perform newer one.
Thanks.

gemini5150

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
so if I get a new phone without pfd and then install pfd it will it restore everything from my only phone which was a pfd? because I just got a new 1020 and it was stock with 8.0. I updated to 8.1 but all my stuff was not complete. so if I put on pfd and than wipe my phone will it restore back to what I left off on my old phone? Thanks.

josipogo

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
First of all you need to sign in with same user name and password as it was used on your old phone. Second, sign in user name cannot be alias mail address, it must be your real user name. Once when you sign in via setup process of your new phone the setup process will ask you do you want to restore your setting and apps from cloud, if you choose Yes, setup will look on your OneDrive cloud is there any backup that can be restore. If there is no backup that it can be restored, most probably on your old phone backup was not set it up property, otherwise setup procedure will offer you to choose from what saved backup from cloud you want to perform restoration.
By the way, there is no need to initially performs upgrade to PfD, you can first perform restoration then upgrade to PfD.
Cheers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb