Update question

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
I just got a new Microsoft lumia 735 running the 8.1 update 2. I was checking for updates and nothing then i remembered i used to have the Preview for developers so I reinstalled it and when I checked for updated one came up. does anyone know what this update is for. I plan on updating to windows 10 when the next tech. preview comes out so I wasnt sure if i should even bother with it.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Would you like to share the OS Version and the Firmware version of your phone after the update? This would allow us (and the search engines) to aid you better. :wink:

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
Would you like to share the OS Version and the Firmware version of your phone after the update? This would allow us (and the search engines) to aid you better. :wink:
OS version is 8.10.15148.160 and firmware version is .02171.00002.15194.03079

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Based on my readings, looks like that is Update 2 (GDR 2 for Windows Phone 8.1). Did you notice any changes in the layout in the settings?

The change log for that OS version includes:
Settings. Find your phone settings more easily. Tap one of the new settings categories to jump to it, use Search to find a setting, or pan down to peruse in the traditional way. Additionally, phone settings can now be pinned to Start.

Name your phone. Give your phone a name without connecting to a PC. Just tap Settings > About > Edit name to name it.

VPN. Now you can use certificates to sign in for L2TP VPN connections. Always-on VPN profiles are now supported too, so you're automatically and always connected.

Bluetooth. Type with more than your thumbs. Use an external Bluetooth keyboard and watch the words fly on your phone. And now get your text messages right from your car if it has a compatible Bluetooth system.

App privacy permissions. Now you control whether an app can access your contacts, calendar, camera, microphone, and text messages. Just tap Settings > App permissions to get started.

Reset Protection. Provide an extra layer of protection for your phone, so that if it ever ends up in the wrong hands, it can't be easily reset or reused. (This feature is available only for specific phones.)

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
Based on my readings, looks like that is Update 2 (GDR 2 for Windows Phone 8.1). Did you notice any changes in the layout in the settings?

The change log for that OS version includes:
Settings. Find your phone settings more easily. Tap one of the new settings categories to jump to it, use Search to find a setting, or pan down to peruse in the traditional way. Additionally, phone settings can now be pinned to Start.

Name your phone. Give your phone a name without connecting to a PC. Just tap Settings > About > Edit name to name it.

VPN. Now you can use certificates to sign in for L2TP VPN connections. Always-on VPN profiles are now supported too, so you're automatically and always connected.

Bluetooth. Type with more than your thumbs. Use an external Bluetooth keyboard and watch the words fly on your phone. And now get your text messages right from your car if it has a compatible Bluetooth system.

App privacy permissions. Now you control whether an app can access your contacts, calendar, camera, microphone, and text messages. Just tap Settings > App permissions to get started.

Reset Protection. Provide an extra layer of protection for your phone, so that if it ever ends up in the wrong hands, it can't be easily reset or reused. (This feature is available only for specific phones.)
Right. my phone does say windows 8.1 update 2. I can do everything you mentioned. I didnt get an update notice until after I reinstalled the Preview for Developers app. I didnt know if the update is just improvements or maybe something else. I havent installed it yet.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Right. my phone does say windows 8.1 update 2. I can do everything you mentioned. I didnt get an update notice until after I reinstalled the Preview for Developers app. I didnt know if the update is just improvements or maybe something else. I havent installed it yet.

Update 2 is not officially available for all phones in all regions as of this moment, so either participating in the Tech Prev (before installing W10M) or installing the Preview for Developers should prompt the download of this update - works for some phones but it may not work for all.

As for an L535 I used to own, I received update 2 by signing up for the Tech Prev, but I didn't go too far as to begin installing Windows 10 Mobile. It once was said that Update 2 was a pre-requisite to being able to participate in the Technical Preview for Phones.

As for my L1020, I haven't attempted any by-pass method (PFD or TechPrev) so it's still in Update 1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos