Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnieLasVegas

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: I am moving on... But I keep two WP8 devices.

Yeah, I'm keeping my 920 to play with and will still use it for many daily tasks, but I'm going to try out an iPhone. Just to see how the other half lives. Plus actually getting new apps, while they're still new, appeals to me, lol.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

Thed just use espn score center or Bleacher Report apps. Choose your sports, teams and what kind of notifications you want.

Also you can skip the apps and opt in to Google Now. Do a search of the team you want to keep up with and Google Now will keep you updated.

Yeah, I've tried ESPN and bleacher report. Their widgets are nice, but they pretty much just show the score. Not nearly as cool or informative as Baseball Scores and alerts, which shows pretty much everything that's happening at the moment, pretty much in real time (I think it updates every 15 seconds or something like that). I've never seen anything else like that app, either on WP or Android. Check it out:

uploadfromtaptalk1372128312350.jpg

I haven't tried Google now yet. Maybe I'll give it a try and see how I like it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

Yeah, I've tried ESPN and bleacher report. Their widgets are nice, but they pretty much just show the score. Not nearly as cool or informative as Baseball Scores and alerts, which shows pretty much everything that's happening at the moment, pretty much in real time (I think it updates every 15 seconds or something like that). I've never seen anything else like that app, either on WP or Android. Check it out:

View attachment 36372

I haven't tried Google now yet. Maybe I'll give it a try and see how I like it.

I know exactly what you mean now. That's like the NBA live app on windows phone. The live tile updates every 15 seconds.

Those two apps really stand out on windows phone to me. Nothing like them on other platforms.

Google Now will just be in your notification shade.

I haven't even tried the widgets on Android for espn and bleacher report. I just set the notifications up and check the notification shade and center (iOS).

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

How does a live tile update every 15 seconds? Weren't they limited to 30 minutes?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

How does a live tile update every 15 seconds? Weren't they limited to 30 minutes?

It uses push notifications instead of background agents. Push notifications can update in real time.

GCardoso

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site

In my case, i bought a 720, but came with a defective volume button, the store trade for another 720; but some thing mess me up, some not too much, like few apps available (no waze and a promise that never come true), and bugs on existents ones (like whatsapp), but the worse it's that WP8 doesn't vibrate the phone continuously, just a little vibrate and it?s gone, only sound.
So, i really liked the OS, the stability, but i will move to an Android (like Nexus 4 or S3, here in Brazil it's the same price), somewhere in the future, if the OS resolve the most part of this bugs, i can think in back to WP.

Haseeb Rehman

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Why I went back to iPhone after using Lumia 920: Reasons

Hii everyone. I'm pretty sure that almost everyone here might disagree with me as this is a Lumia 920 forum but I wanted to share my experience so here it is, anyways.

I decided to get a lumia 920 in black and so I did get it. At first sight, here are the pros:

1) Amazing display
2) Good battery life
3) Nice design
4) Awesome camera

Okay that's pretty much it about the pros section of this phone. Here comes the cons:

1) Heavy
2) WP8? Simply sucks. (I'll explain)
3) Animations are weird
4) Lack of customization
5) Heats up from top right corner

Well, the windows phone 8 is pretty good in some ways actually. It nevers slow or lags down a bit and is good. But the main problem is the APPLICATIONS! NOT EVEN AUTO ROTATION OFF OPTION? I mean, dude seriously?

I was even unable to find a good facebook chat messenger. Facebook and whatsapp simply sucks on that platform. No games or other third party applications. Its just like a good platform half unfinished and not yet ready for the market. I started regretting my choice and decided to give my lumia 920 in and take an iPhone 4s in black.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why I went back to iPhone after using Lumia 920: Reasons

Good choice as you're an app person!! For those who want simplicity and uses basic apps, can live with the gripes of wp8 shortcomings stick with your windows phone :) .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

blacksea00

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

if you use your phone for facebook and games you should stay on 4s
if you use your phone for anything else than facebook and games you should really consider to get Lumia 920. for business and work its a very good phone.

my personal experience with both phones.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Never ceases to make me laugh when people say this phone is heavy. It's no heavier than a burger.

I'll agree on the rotation lock thing though. That needs to get sorted soon.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

So short sighted... That's about all I have to say. Oh, and I say this as a former iPhone 4 user who replaced that phone with a Nokia Lumia 810, followed by a black Lumia 920 like that of the OP and was *that* close to buying a Lumia 925 at T-Mobile less than an hour ago.

Matt Fara

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Animations are weird?
Translation:

The animations are different from the same animations I've been seeing on my iCrap device since 2007.

Mocah

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Though your Facebook problems completely resonate with me (mostly notifications in general),

Lack of customization?
So you went to iOS?
Wut.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

I doubt anyone here will think anything of ya one way or the other. Use whatever device makes you happy. I'll tip my hat to ya for at least giving WP a try. Thats more than most people do.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

WP8? Simply sucks... <snipped> ...APPLICATIONS! NOT EVEN AUTO ROTATION OFF OPTION? I mean, dude seriously?

Look. Anyone can find a feature that one platform has that another platform lacks. I can just as well say: hey, the iPhone is the suckiest phone ever. It doesn't even have live tiles. The iPhone is really nothing more than glorified but still boring app launcher. You see how that works?

It's all a question of which features we appreciate most. I think you are crazy going back to the equally unconfigurable snooze fest that is iOS, but to each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss