Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrodoBaggins

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

Been a loyal Microsoft fan since I was like 7 years old. Always upgraded to the latest OS once it was released, got a surface pro 2, windows phone, use all the skydrive/onedrive features and all that jazz, however I'm probably gonna be moving to an iPhone 5S shortly. You may ask why - well i'm getting really tired of the app gap and how companies constantly screw us around, take Spotify, Tinder, Google, and even something as simple as Facebook - it isn't officially available. Instead we have to use Microsoft's FB app. I'm also getting sick of how Microsoft isn't focusing much effort onto Windows Phone. They don't give us updates very often, nor listen to their customers terribly much. Don't even get me started on promotion, I have never seen a Windows Phone ad. Much smaller issue, i've also found that WP gets incredibly laggy after about 6 months of using it, at which point you need to do a hard reset to restore the speed of the phone - don't know if this is just me, but i don't find it as 'smooth' as everyone cuts it out to be.

I'm still going to be keeping my WP8 device of course, I love to make apps for WP in my spare time, and talk to Cortana, however it won't be my daily driver anymore. Feel free to call me out on any of my points above, its entirely my opinion, and i'm open to discussion here if you feel differently or want to change my mind.

PxuLL

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Leaving Windows Phone...

Had a long run with windows phone since July 2013 and I have already purchased my next phone which is running Android (CyanogenMod 11S) the phone is the OnePlus One which I recieved an invite for. I am quite annoyed that windows phone doesnt meet up to my expectations because of the lack of apps, notifications come through too late etc...

Didn't want to make it too long for you guys.

P.S: I do NOT have any invites.

:smile::smile::smile:

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

The tiny size and the need for iTunes (bloated, memory hog on Windows) are the reasons I wouldn't consider iPhone. The iPhone 6 should be bigger, but the need for iTunes still exists.

And the iPhone has no back button... you have to press home then go back into whatever you were doing, but on the previous step - instead of just going straight back to it.

SPIFF Costa

May 28, 2014
Visit site

I bought my first smartphone 3 months ago. My first smartphone ever. Granted that I never owned one but I researched them a lot and I played with them everyday from my friends. And I tried a lot of them, except a Windows phone. No one had a Windows phone but I was very interested in it. So my thoughts at the time were somewhat like this:

Android - Tons and tons of features, tons and tons of apps. You can do everything on those things. But with time they get laggy, and buggy and you have to be carefull because the phone is very unsafe. And the OS updates have a low support time. I had to buy a top of the line which is way too expensive for me to get support for a few years. So Android was a dealbreaker for me

iOS - Beautiful, easy to use, lots of apps, very secure. They are really well made and well thought out. But they are also all top of the line. Any decent iPhone is too expensive. I don't want to spend 500€ or more on a phone. But if people have that kind of Money to spend on a phone go ahead, iPhone is a good choice, no doubt.

Windows Phone - It was really interesting. It had way less features than the other 2 OS's and way less apps. But I could see where it was going and I could see greatness in it.

So I didn't buy anyone until 3 months ago because no one met my needs/budget. Until Windows Phone 8.1 was announced. I loved it. I watch the BUILD and I decided that was the phone for me. And all my predictions that the phone will be great are becoming true. I get that people are tired now because they had an incomplete phone for some years. Because they bought one at the wrong time. I believe that I bought mine just at the right time. I have the Developer Preview and I absolutly love it. And once a month I get news from here that really excites me and shows a future in this phone. Like the bi-weekly updates to the xBox Music and Cortana. And the new lockscreen. And Windows phone 9 with maybe interactive live tiles next year, and so on and so forth. I have close to no doubts that I will ever regret buying this phone. With other OS's I would get excited once a year. Windows Phone is progressing good and with speed.

ABsmoove

May 4, 2014
Visit site

I got the LG G3 on July 11 for AT&T. I researched that phone for awhile and I realized it was the best phone to go to if I ever was to leave Windows Phone. It has almost everything I love about WP (double tap to wake screen, great camera app, shortcut to camera when phone is locked, etc.) and the good things of Android all on 1 device that is beautifully designed with a 2K screen. In 2 years, I know Windows Phone will be much more mature. I started with a Samsung Focus to Lumia 900 to Lumia 920 with 8.1. I'll let Windows Phone expand and grow while I enjoy an already very matured OS for awhile.

I really miss 6tag tho and having my favorite pictures show on my start screen. =(

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site

Is there a reason that a lot of people switching from WP don't even consider iphone? It works well with MS services and it has the better App Store.

I see no reason, I ditched the icon for the 5s a week ago. I'd never go back to that buggy, ugly *** mess called android. When I went to get my 5s, I briefly considered android .......until I used it for 30 seconds.... that was enough for me, it looks and functions much better than it used too, however, I can still see androids ugly *** underneath all those OEM skins. iphone all the way for me, imo its miles better in every way possible than the other platforms, BUT I still don't like iTunes......

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

I see no reason, I ditched the icon for the 5s a week ago. I'd never go back to that buggy, ugly *** mess called android. When I went to get my 5s, I briefly considered android .......until I used it for 30 seconds.... that was enough for me, it looks and functions much better than it used too, however, I can still see androids ugly *** underneath all those OEM skins. iphone all the way for me, imo its miles better in every way possible than the other platforms, BUT I still don't like iTunes......
I agree with everything you said except iTunes > xbox music, xbox music is a clusterfu%#.

I also owned an LG G2, worst decision ever... I couldn't believe how much lag my phone had and how outlook.com app sucked. iPhone apps are much better than the android counter parts and of course windows phone as they are non existent

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site

I agree with everything you said except iTunes > xbox music, xbox music is a clusterfu%#.

I also owned an LG G2, worst decision ever... I couldn't believe how much lag my phone had and how outlook.com app sucked. iPhone apps are much better than the android counter parts and of course windows phone as they are non existent

I feel your pain, the last android I had was a gs3. Biggest piece of shi* ever, I like wp ,but for me ios is tight.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Goodbye Xbox Music

So after 6 1/2 years as a subscriber to Zune and the last 3 with Xbox music my patience has run out. Let me explain what happened, I have 2 lines at ATT as well as a tablet(2520) and recently decided to slowly move my service to Verizon for better rural reception, I live in California and I go up and down 101 camping and stuff. So, as a loyal but, angry, windows guy I decided to get the Icon so I went to Verizon in Citrus Heights,ca., and got a white one, great piece of hardware btw. During the purchase a salesman ask me why I was getting a windows phone and after I told him he told me he always steers people away from WP because it is hard to use and has no apps. I just listened. So I got the phone and then went back to another store in Folsom to port number where they didn't even have an icon on display stating there was no room for it. So I got to thinking, why am I sticking to WP? They don't listen to THIER customers especially concerning Zune, which is one of the main reasons I went to windows phone, you see, I was stupid enough to believe they were gonna take everything I loved about Zune software and just rename it to Xbox music. I got to thinking I'm reinvesting for another 2 years into an OS and a company whose own music app barely gets 2 stars! A company who said they were listening and we gonna add the features you guys want we care, and then preceded to release update after update that were nothing more than "Bug Fixes" and then big news, KIDS CORNER!!! GET OUT OF HERE.... So a few days past and I thought on these things.... so 3 days ago I exchanged my Icon for an LG G3. Is it perfect, yes because I have all the MS services and amazon music, Google music, ahh finally cloud storage and Xbox music. And you know what I'm starting to see? Almost every MS app and service is better on Android and that's a fact. That's also sad for people like me who bought into your o's and have owned ten of your phones, still have an ATT 1520. So, now I'm gonna go with beats or Google play streaming service and buy all my music on amazon...I saw so many newer releases on those services for $3.99 that were 12.99 on XBM. What a joke. IMO, MS should make an android phone and use WP as THIER skin as the mobile has passed them by it is too late. I'm positive Windows 9 will be a huge success I just hope they fix the media part of THIER o's and if they do ill check it out but this is the last month they get $9.99 out of me for an ugly music app that still gives black screens and duplicate songs.
Good riddance.
PS-I still have a 1520,2520, and a first gen Samsung windows 8 tablet.

Damiao Junior

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I did my part

It was november 2010 when I got my Samsung Omnia 7. I live in Brazil so I had to import it from Europe. No easy task, no easy money.
Well, since then all I did was to praise the Windows Phone OS and Microsoft.
I participated in forums and invoices, wrote apps, evangelized friends, coworkers and family.
It's been almost four years now and I really feel part of the WP history.
Before Nokia, almost nobody had WP here in Rio. Now, thanks to the 520, all you see in subways and trains are colorful, beautiful live tiles flipping around.
But now it's time for me to leave.
I believe MS is kinda lost at the moment. And the (always) only US or US first for months and months is stupid since it sells less home than away.
In my opinion, WP 8.1 is a mess with new classes. Lots of my favorite WP features, things that I used to sell the OS, are gone. And a lot of other things are just so bad you can't even use it.
And I'm just tired of lagging behind Android and iOS. It's weird but I learned to be sorry about this feeling...
And I own a HTC 8x...
But I don't want enumerate bad things about it. I just want to say farewell and move on.

Thanks to all the WPCentral team and community. The best around.
Thanks Rudy and all the great devs who saved us since launch.

P.S. English is not my native language.

abhinavsaprey

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Till may 2014 had the s60v5 phone nokia 5230...
I wanted to get a real smartphone and was just attracted towards android before seeing my dad's laggy samsung...

But then sometime in dec 2013 tried out my friends lumia 800 and was instantly attached to the windows phone...

I was amazed as to how wp performed smooth even on the lowest spec 520... And then i picked up a Lumia 525... And boy has it been a great experience!!!

Since then i am a big fan of wp and loving its minimalistic design philosophy....

Portee

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Bye Bye WP8.1 and Lumia 520, hello again iPhone :(

Very sad to say goodbye to my much loved nokia lumia 520 running wp8.1 but after constant random reboots and shutdowns and 2 visits to repair shop I think it's time to revert back to iphone. i've tried just about everything possible or suggested on various forums to get round the rebooting issue but none have worked I was hoping the recent upgrade to 8.1 might finally fix it but alas no :cry: I also thought about waiting for another manufacturer to make a wp8.1 device for the uk market maybe HTC m8 for example but this phone also seems to suffer according to ppl on the forums here, really dissapointed as I was thinking of getting a 930 or 1520 (heard it affects the 1520 too, not sure about the 930) but am not now prepaired to take a chance. A real shame as I really like the OS and feel even despite any shortcomings it's way nicer to use than Android or IOS but I need a phone I can depend on, today was the last straw, last night with 100% battery it shut itself off and the alarm didn't go off, almost late for work which would be very bad for me so that sealed its fate.

I wonder how many users are leaving wp because of simialr issues? of course if MS or any of the carriers admitted it's an issue and fixed it I would buy another wp straight off but until it's genuinely looked at and resolved that's it for me,:cry: it's just too frustrating to live with on a daily basis.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Bye Bye WP8.1 and Lumia 520, hello again iPhone :(

Sad to head that. Hope you'll enjoy the iPhone.

Regarding the issues. I'm using this forum much time, and I've read very few complaints about device random reboots. I think your 520 just had manufacturing issues.

I didn't have any random reboots on my 1520.

Portee

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site

I know I won't enjoy the iphone as much as the lumia but I'm getting it cheap whilst I wait to see what happens with wp. I've heard of 1520's also having this issue and also other lumia devices which is why i haven't taken the plunge and bought another new one yet. I'm not sure about manufacturing issues as we had 3x 520's in my household and they all done it and each was bought at different times and places so likely not the same batch, my wife gave up months ago but I carried on until now. Happy to hear your 1520 is OK and long may it stay that way.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

While you probably have a defect of some level, but overall I don't think it's even fair to expect the kind of quality from a 80? phone as a 700? iPhone :p

Chances are if you invested the same into WP as you would into an iPhone, your experience would be much better too. That said, I know plenty of people with 520s that don't have any random rebooting, so it's definitely not normal or common to every 520.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

My 930 has no issues at all. It's so much superior to my 920 in every way. Also I have had no issues with my 520 so suspect it is just a dodgy device.

What I will say about iPhone is the latest iOS is terrible. I bought an iPad Air because I hated how slow my Galaxy Tab was getting and the Windows based tablets were missing a couple of key apps (Sky Go mainly). The main reason I got the Air was because when I had my iPhone I found the OS to be really stable. Apple have acknowledged that there is a reboot issue with iOS but repeated updates still haven't fixed the issue. iOS 7 (is 7 the latest) is so buggy I find it hard to believe.

noobchief

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site

My 820 has no such issues, heck, even my sibling whom own a 520 has no issue. Seems like bad luck that's all

ams963

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

My 520 is running fine. I hope you come back soon on the WP wagon next time try to invest the same amount on a WP as an iPhone. Then you'll have great experience. Also I think you just had some bad luck with 520.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Sounds like a defective unit.

When I bought my wife a 1020, I got my 520 back from her... wasn't problematic back when I owned it initially, and still has none of that rebooting :/

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

I left WP in November 2013 from a Lumia 920 (very upset about the GDR2 update which caused my camera to be crap, among other things) for an iPhone 5S. You will be impressed for about a month, the OS is solid and rarely has issues...the main problems you will have are likely iMessage not delivering all your texts, Siri's inconsistency to work and Wifi connectivity (simple turn on/off usually works)...otherwise the platform is a rock. With that said its still the most boring experience you will have and if you already know you're not going to enjoy it, well i can say be prepared to come back. And lets be realistic, you had a 520...my buddy and his wife had 520's which both were not very durable or reliable (not saying this applies to everyone with the phone, just my experience). I would have recommended you to pick up a cheap 920 for the time being while you wait for "your ideal device". But alas, you are leaving...and we will see you back here in the coming months =)

Ive got a 1020 and not very pleased with the experience, the battery is horrid and the auto camera quality i personally find does not work very nicely (i am sure manual is the RIGHT way to use this device but i just wanted an awesome camera that takes great auto pics). With that said, 7 months with iOS7 as stable as it was, was enough to have me running back to WP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa