- 03-02-2014, 09:10 AM #1
It was a sad day when I found out that this is what Microsoft is planning for WP 8.1. I keep asking myself why and never get an answer.
Why I believe that skinned tiles isn't the way to go:
- It would clutter the home screen.
- Flipping skinned-tiles will make the background image look like a chess table with pieces on it!
- If you used a background with some white spaces, text and other white stuff on tiles won't be readable.
- Non accent-colored tiles won't show the background beneath them.
- It's just plain ugly and ruins the simplicity of WP.
Why I believe that background image is the answer (with tiles grouping + Semantic Zoom):
- It's a step closer of unifying the experience between WP and Windows 8.
- Users can choose from a pre-set of simplistic backgrounds (Just like Windows 8), which keeps the OS simple too.
- Grouping tiles is a must, especially for people who have more than 50 pinned tiles on their start screen.
- Semantic Zoom can be used to quickly jump between tiles on your start screen (it's the answer for Androids pinch out that brings all the different home-screens in a quick jump, small view list).
- Grouping tiles creates gaps between them, so the background can show (this argument is for people that always say there is no point of having a background.)
I have made some mock-ups (with interactive tiles, which is not my subject today). Please check them out and let me know what you think:
(You can visit my other post named: Windows Phone 9 Concept-linking1990)
Update: Added two more mockups, one isn't my design but I don't know whose is to give credit for:
If you agree with me, please give me your vote on the feature suggestion page for Windows Phone. HERE
Last edited by linking1990; 03-05-2014 at 05:00 AM.
- 03-02-2014, 09:24 AM #2
Skinnery tiles could look good, and to be honest, the windows phone start screen already looks like crap. The tiles are just bad, there is no simplicity, and you can read only a few useful information from them. While puting a image on top of that may look bad, I still feel like it's better than a background since you could see most of the picture. If you put a background you would see only like 10% of it, and those would be the edges, while like this you see 90% of the image.
Eather way I would like for everyone to be able to choose, so both options would be great.
- 03-02-2014, 09:31 AM #6
- 03-02-2014, 09:48 AM #11
I wouldn't like to see this replace the current homescreen, instead you could introduce the SortBy category where the default will be the current homescreen, with the current order preserved, then next is sort by Category and that would be what OP suggested, then sort by Name, date the apps where installed and so on ...
What do you think.
03-02-2014, 10:27 AM #13
- 179 Posts
I can't remember the last time such a benign option caused such a firestorm of opinions. I've never been into 'skins' myself but understand a lot of people like this kind of thing, but the vocal opposition to this simple update, an option at that, just seems so very over-reactive.
Good luck to you for your wishes, I sincerely hope you get what you desire, but pumping the brakes a bit seems in order here.The views expressed are my own -- Results are not typical, your experiences may vary -- Professionally posted on a closed course -- Tax, tag and title not included
- 03-02-2014, 10:35 AM #15
- 03-02-2014, 10:53 AM #18
Umm, well I don't understand you quiet well, in my concept I have implemented sorting out your app list by the things that you mentioned (date installed, most used, name, category). But on the start screen, I am with the option of letting the user manage and sort the start screen the way he wants: arrange tiles, group them, name groups, etc.
03-02-2014, 11:11 AM #19The views expressed are my own -- Results are not typical, your experiences may vary -- Professionally posted on a closed course -- Tax, tag and title not included
- 179 Posts
03-02-2014, 11:18 AM #21
- 250 Posts
It's all about choice, which I hope Microsoft realise and give the option of either skinned tiles or a background image. Actually, I'd be happy if they'd let us just change the background colour to something other than black or white.
I love the idea of grouping tiles with semantic zoom - this is so useful on my Surface and sometimes I forget and try to do it on my phone. A shame there haven't been any leaks of this, but maybe that's one of the few things that hasn't leaked yet?
- 03-02-2014, 11:19 AM #22
Last edited by Michael300; 03-02-2014 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Grammar and added to the post
- 03-02-2014, 11:26 AM #23
- By blacklumia70 in forum Windows Phone AppsReplies: 2Last Post: 03-09-2014, 09:47 AM
- By Qiyamata in forum Software Development and HackingReplies: 5Last Post: 03-04-2014, 11:32 AM
- By tany3450 in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 4Last Post: 03-03-2014, 07:21 PM
- By mrappbrain in forum General Microsoft News and DiscussionReplies: 7Last Post: 03-03-2014, 03:05 AM