Microsoft wil fix Push Server in WP 8.1 ???

Neung Puntoom

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
By my Title I need to know Why notification in Windows Phone does not Push on time ? It sometime late around 5 min. or Not Push on my Phone . (FB Messenger , Line , ETC.)

PxuLL

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft doesnt let developers push notifications to your phone, instead apps can only check every 30mins for notifications and send it to you every 30mins. Only app which has access to instant notifications is Whatsapp because its got access to some private API to do so.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft doesnt let developers push notifications to your phone, instead apps can only check every 30mins for notifications and send it to you every 30mins. Only app which has access to instant notifications is Whatsapp because its got access to some private API to do so.

False, apps which doesn't have notification can update their live tile each 30 mins, all apps which has notifications updates whenever "update/notification" appears.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft push notification service will be improved yes.
Every 30 mins is only for tiles. Push notifications work through servers. I am phone right now, but there are 2 threads on WP8 forum where I have pasted "how it works" sort of links which you may find handy.

Neung Puntoom

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I have not hear microsoft talk about "Fix push server" or about toast notification does not warn on time before. I'm afraid this ploblem will not be fix. I'm from Thailand and in my country very worried about notification ploblem in Windows Phone .

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft push notification service will be improved yes.

Thanks. Do you have concrete information on this? Or just from the leaked feature list? If you do, you don't have to share what it is! Just say yes. Then I'll be happy. This is my only complaint with WP so it would be great if push worked reliably in 8.1!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Do you have concrete information on this? Or just from the leaked feature list? If you do, you don't have to share what it is! Just say yes. Then I'll be happy. This is my only complaint with WP so it would be great if push worked reliably in 8.1!

It comes from SDK documentation. Those saying "it won't be fixed" are living in denial.

StevieBallz

May 1, 2013
Visit site
The 30 minutes timer is only for background services on the phone. Those were introduced in WP7.5. Many developers use those to query webservices they don't own themselves and update the tile then or trigger a toast notification. Technically they could implement push any time (as push has been available since WP7 was released) but that would require them to have server infrastructure which many Devs don't invest in.

As for push notification reliability. There are several Apps that work reliably. Given that all push notifications go through the same infrastructure at Microsoft it comes down to the fact that the services that trigger the notifications don't work reliably. This is something Microsoft themselves can't fix as the code that has issues is not their own but that of a third party.

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
The 30 minutes timer is only for background services on the phone. Those were introduced in WP7.5. Many developers use those to query webservices they don't own themselves and update the tile then or trigger a toast notification. Technically they could implement push any time (as push has been available since WP7 was released) but that would require them to have server infrastructure which many Devs don't invest in.

As for push notification reliability. There are several Apps that work reliably. Given that all push notifications go through the same infrastructure at Microsoft it comes down to the fact that the services that trigger the notifications don't work reliably. This is something Microsoft themselves can't fix as the code that has issues is not their own but that of a third party.

so you are saying that all of those whatsapp facebook apps codes for ONLY WP doesn't work properly and they work fine with iOS/android? WTF

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm from Thailand and in my country very worried about notification ploblem in Windows Phone .

I don't think its bound on regions or countries.
There are days that i get everything ontime and there are days that it just dont .
I use facebook ( NOT the messenger ) and Whatsapp.
Whatsapp is getting better, but not so long ago it was a drama.

It sounds strange, but the inapp messenger in Wordfeud works better hahaha

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
so you are saying that all of those whatsapp facebook apps codes for ONLY WP doesn't work properly and they work fine with iOS/android? WTF
He is partially right. Apps can ping servers as many times as they want but they don't. Here is scenario:

An app has a notification. It pings Microsoft notification service. This pings back to phone. However, if phone can't connect to notification service,bad connection or whatever the reason, the app should be able to ping again in few seconds to check for notification. But apps don't do this. Not reliably. So notifications hang about in cloud till next sync cycle.

Apps like Twitter, flyby, Facebook - do it reliably.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I think there has to be blame on both sides. There are clearly some apps that don't have issues with push notifications, and some apps that do. This means that there is some developer fault in this. But on the other hand, it seems like setting up push notifications on wp properly is much more difficult than on iOS or Android. For example, look at whatsapp. It took them over a year of updates to finally fix their notifications issues. Skype for some reason couldn't even send notifications until last year, even Facebook notifications were garbage up until a few months ago. None of the other platforms have had issues like this. I hope, based on what others have stated in this thread, that the push service is either simplified and improved so devs don't have to spend years massaging them to work

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
None of the other platforms have had issues like this.

This isn't true. Go to Android Central or iMore. There are EXACTLY same threads of people saying "Why I don't get Facebook notifications?"
"Why I don't get Facebook messenger notifications on my HTC One?"
"Why my iPhone never gets new Skype notifications?"

etc etc etc.

Grass is greener on the other side.

Few days back I posted a link to thread in off topic lounge. It was a member who moved from WP to Android because he wasn't getting Facebook notifications. He got HTC One, guess what? EXACTLY the same issue. What replies did he get?
"App doesn't support push"
"Android doesn't do Facebook push"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923