Where is File Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kush Grover

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Totally impressed with Microsoft. Great work developers. But where the hell is File Manager?
No announcement for it.
Will it be tomorrow??

Minith Jain

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
It came as a surprise that there's no file manager in Windows Phone 8.1. As recently, we got news from MSFT that they are done with File Manager for Windows Phone 8.1. Hope so they unveil something tomorrow.

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I think at this point we will see a file picker (open and save) rather than a file browser in Windows Phone 8.1.

Hopefully someone can at least confirm the file picker is present.

Hakkim Nadapuram

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
**** ,damn, again fooled ms. File manager is must in a smartphone. without file manager its not a smartphone. We dont need a file picker.
They know its importance but they don't made satisfaction to their customers. They want to sit android's back bench to understand features of a good smart phone.
I waited for WP8.1 for 3 months. waste.....................

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
**** ,damn, again fooled ms. File manager is must in a smartphone. without file manager its not a smartphone. We dont need a file picker.
They know its importance but they don't made satisfaction to their customers. They want to sit android back bench to understand features of good a smart phone

Lol...even iPhone doesn't have a file manager but its still a smart phone...I know its an absolutely required feature for some of you guys..but calling it not a smart phone coz of not having it is too much of a stretch

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Calm folks even ios doesn't have true system level file manager and wp wont ever have it either...giving a root level file manager to user = compromising security...so yes it is an annoyance but people have to get over it as apple fans have already....BUT at the same time it would be a nice if they make a robust sandboxed file manager..allowing read only access to basic apps like Photos music and Office...and to make any changes the file manager would be able to only import the copy of the file in its storage,provided with robust features like creating zip files,sending them to mail,sync etc..it would do wonders IMHO..

As an example people can look for "documents for readdle 5" for iOS...though file manager don't have access to the any apps except photos..

BUT we are able to "open in" the docs,attachments,files in Documents by readdle app,only from the said app and not from file manager...it is an annoyance but this is how things work in a closed eco system..once you get hang of it..you even become productive with it...

imho wp must do the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shivam Chandel

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
They know its importance but they don't made satisfaction to their customers. They want to sit android back bench to understand features of good a smart phone

Some how i found it funny......dont curse you can swith to android if you like it...

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I've never owned a smartphone with a file manager. Ever. So to the people that say it's"required" and "essential" are greatly over exaggerating.

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I've never owned a smartphone with a file manager. Ever. So to the people that say it's"required" and "essential" are greatly over exaggerating.

it would be nice though. I want one so i have a simple way to allow users to load their own samples into my app :)

Doesn't have to be root level, just allow access to a folder on the phone called "files". Can copy files to it from a PC when plugged in, and a filepicker on the phone can load them into apps.

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
As long as there's a file picker, I'm fine with it. I don't really see a need for a file manager. If I needed that, I'd use OneDrive. I just want the ability to say "attach" in an email and browse to a PDF file. That's all I need. That's all I want. Can someone confirm if this is available in WP8.1?

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Lol...even iPhone doesn't have a file manager but its still a smart phone...I know its an absolutely required feature for some of you guys..but calling it not a smart phone coz of not having it is too much of a stretch
Sorry, but at least I don't take iPhone as a smartphone. You can call me anything you want, but when I'm purchasing a smartphone, I'll never even look at an iPhone. Even if I have the money to buy one. I'll rather take the S5, Note 3 or G2, but never an iPhone.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

iPhone does have a file manager through third party apps.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Would have liked a file manager. I think they still need to figure out how to mange internal storage though. Like WP8.1 allows some cool storage features with a micro SD, but besides the 1520 and the low end Lumias no one else will see them.

The ability to go in and delete files from time to time is pretty crucial in my opinion for having complete control over what is in your internal storage. No matter what anyone else says, a file manger is something I have valued greatly in a smartphone.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb