Third Party apps will be able to extend File Picker abilities in WP8.1

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
You can find this sentence: "Your app can be a file provider too!" in slide 23 of This lecture: Contracts and Pickers: Building Apps that Work Together on Windows | Build 2014 | Channel 9

Also the slide show clearly shows that OneDrive will be integrated into file picker, which is missing in current version of emulator ( http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1/273064-file-picker-screenshots.html ) maybe they need to update the OneDrive app?

So we can expect OneDrive and other cloud storage services integration in the file picker.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Oh so there is a file picker/manager coming in 8.1???

I missed that!

Superb news!

And i am excited to see what apps can do. A winrar app that allows file manipulation, and better attachment options, for email - well i would live better email attachment, that's the reason i carry a blackberry!

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Oh so there is a file picker/manager coming in 8.1???

I missed that!

Superb news!

And i am excited to see what apps can do. A winrar app that allows file manipulation, and better attachment options, for email - well i would live better email attachment, that's the reason i carry a blackberry!

File *picker* is available in WP8.1. IE11 is using it for uploads. However, mail app is still not updated and it only chooses photos. but I think they'll update it in final release.

And about File *manager*, it is not clear that if Microsoft will create one or not. but with new APIs, developers can create file manager apps. (see my post here)

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I see - thanks for the clarification.

I really hope Nokia create a Nokia app that is a file manager. Working with zip attachments and other files - it would be nice to b able to manipulate them in a manner akin to a blackberry.

Either way, i await the dev preview in earnest!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss