What WP needs to succeed

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
As it is now, the consumer can select among 3 US owned OSs for mobile devices from 3 US companies which must hand out everything they can collect about their customers to the NSA. Where is the advantage to get a Windows Phone?
There is none. One trick could be for Microsoft to spin off the whole mobile division into a non US corporation with all development done outside the US in which MS would only hold a minority blocking stake. I.e. into a new Irish company which would have no obligation to hand over data to the US NSA etc. Even better would be a corporation located outside the EU. This would change the game for corporate users that have no desire to share their intellectual property with US intelligence agencies. Otherwise I see no real gains in market share for Windows Phone and ultimately the risk that a Chinese made OS will appear and gain users in the long run.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello,
the one thing i?m missing most is a free choice to back up my contact data. With my old Nokia 5230 i could store it simply on pc. On my L1520 i can?t do that, not even on my sim or sd card. I will never store any data on onedrive, as long as it is not completly encrypted.

Ehemm...

"Microsoft announced this morning that it has bolstered the security of several of its digital products, bringing stronger encryption tools to its OneDrive and Outlook.com services."

source

A web search will yield dozens of results on how MS does exactly that. Seriously, if you aren't working for a government agency or work with data that is protected by law, there is little reason to worry about security using MS' services. Privacy is another matter, but MS and Apple are both good on that front too.

I can't think of any communications with MS services that aren't encrypted at this point.

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Ehemm...

"Microsoft announced this morning that it has bolstered the security of several of its digital products, bringing stronger encryption tools to its OneDrive and Outlook.com services."

source

A web search will yield dozens of results on how MS does exactly that. Seriously, if you aren't working for a government agency or work with data that is protected by law, there is little reason to worry about security using MS' services. Privacy is another matter, but MS and Apple are both good on that front too.

I can't think of any communications with MS services that aren't encrypted at this point.

You do realise that encryption of this sort is entirely pointless as the NSA and the rest of the alphabet soup have direct access to the servers and most likely to fiber-optic telecom hubs as well? They can just access MS' servers directly or if that doesn't happen. MITM using their access to the physical layer. There's nothing MS can do about that.

Finally, everything you said is also meaningless because those kinds of encryption (SSL and the rest) are vulnerable to master keys held by Verisign, Equifax and other CA certificate providers (mostly US-based). If you have their keys, you can root everything.

Arka1412

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
1)Facebook, Instagram , skype and other important apps should be full featured..Ms should now give priority to quality..Only bringing apps won't help, the apps should be on par with android/ios.
2)background download
3) Google apps( many users don't switch because of the lack of support of google apps..3rd party apps cant be a replacement of Youtube..
4)Expanded quick settings option..More option should be included and data toggle is must(specially in country like India)
5) Improved Multitasking(it sucks on WP, I am totally amazed with the multitasking on iphone and even in low end android like Moto g)
6)Ms should now allow Apps to access gallery, 8.1 was released long back and still we cant send pre recorded audio and video(except whatsapp)its a shame.
7)IE is great but we should have option to use other browser like chrome and opera( while opening a video an option to choose browser should also be given which is now IE by default).
8)Video player like Vlc and mx player.
9) actionable notification center or interactive live tile should be really cool and unique
10) Pattern or fingerprint lock..
11)more and more customization should be given to users and lastly Promote WP like anything..People should know about the power of WP..

haikallp

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I'll sum it down to these points.
1) Give users more customization options.
2) Release more devices (since they now own Nokia)
3) Continue attracting devs (esp. game developers)
4) Step up the marketing (esp TV commercials)

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
A letter to Mr. Nadella Subj: WP

Hello everybody, last week almost every tech site ran the same article after IDC WP numbers; How to help WP, How to bring WP to more people, How to make WP better, etc. As you can see all titles are slight different in a way but with the same end point. I've read many of those ideas and the majority are actually really good. Even BGR that is 99% of the time trashing WP came out with three really good ideas: How to save Windows Phone: 3 ideas to help | BGR
For example:

1. End the carrier exclusives for your best devices [BGR].
  2. Make a smartphone that solves a key pain point and harp on it relentlessly in ads[BGR].
  3. Build a phone that plays to one of Microsoft?s key strengths[BGR].
This is list wmpoweruser compiled from its reader: How to save Windows Phone, according to WMPoweruser.com readers | WMPoweruser

1. No launch delays
  2. More unlocked devices
  3. Better specs for low-end handsets.
  4. More OEMs
  5. Change the UI
  6. Replace Joe Belfiore & Terry Myerson, Stephen Elop
  7. More innovative features e.g. Pelican lenses, 3D gesturing, and others
  8. Target business
  9. Target consumers
  10. Confirm WP8 devices will get threshold.
  11. Free Windows Phone with W8
  12. Run iOS and Android apps.
  13. Move to California
  14. Make peace with Google.
  15. HTML5 apps
  16. Less handsets
  17. Less focus on US.
  18. Cheaper Windows Phones.
  19. More commitment by MS.
One idea that caught my attention was: to MS set up a developer 1 billion trust fund to payoff developer to create and bring local and big apps to WP. I believe that Mr. Nadella shall set up weekly meetings with the developer community and ask the what would it take for them to embrace WP 100% and make peace with those that hate/don't like MS, he himself is a developer and he has a better understanding of the community. I know people that never hear or even seen a WP and I bet a lot of people maybe millions has never hear of WP. Android shipped 256 million & WP 7.5 million what are the chances that people will see and Android phone & not a WP? Yes we need more OEMs to start shipping more WP.
As my title says "A letter to Mr. Nadella Subj: WP" I came to you guys to help write the best and comprehensive letter to Mr. Nadella, if you could say what you think in two sentences or less, what would it be? Please take on consideration OP when your summit your idea it would be more than appreciated.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: A letter to Mr. Nadella Subj: WP

Hello everybody, last week almost every tech site ran the same article after IDC WP numbers; How to help WP, How to bring WP to more people, How to make WP better, etc. As you can see all titles are slight different in a way but with the same end point. I've read many of those ideas and the majority are actually really good. Even BGR that is 99% of the time trashing WP came out with three really good ideas: How to save Windows Phone: 3 ideas to help | BGR
For example:

1. End the carrier exclusives for your best devices [BGR].
  2. Make a smartphone that solves a key pain point and harp on it relentlessly in ads[BGR].
  3. Build a phone that plays to one of Microsoft’s key strengths[BGR].
This is list wmpoweruser compiled from its reader: How to save Windows Phone, according to WMPoweruser.com readers | WMPoweruser

1. No launch delays
  2. More unlocked devices
  3. Better specs for low-end handsets.
  4. More OEMs
  5. Change the UI
  6. Replace Joe Belfiore & Terry Myerson, Stephen Elop
  7. More innovative features e.g. Pelican lenses, 3D gesturing, and others
  8. Target business
  9. Target consumers
  10. Confirm WP8 devices will get threshold.
  11. Free Windows Phone with W8
  12. Run iOS and Android apps.
  13. Move to California
  14. Make peace with Google.
  15. HTML5 apps
  16. Less handsets
  17. Less focus on US.
  18. Cheaper Windows Phones.
  19. More commitment by MS.

......add the missing keyboard inputs for the market where they sell devices for which some users can't type rather than selling Cortana like the next big thing.
......allow users to actually use Office for editing stuff or allow third party office suites
......make the platform integrated so that people can share websites to pocket, instapaper etc.
......flush Internet Explorer mobile down the toilet and come up with something that actually works and shows pages without crashes, reloads, unwanted resizings (also when you don't touch anything or touched the screen 20 seconds before)
......let devs have more apis so the real experts can make real apps and the amateurs can go home do something else.
......stop making updates where you add 2 functions everyone else has had for years and trying to sell them like real innovation. Make less updates but more substantial (think before doing them...)
......are you going to add any encryption before 2050? by then we'll be using telepathy and you'll be still playing with Cortana and which voice she should have. Google is going to use ultrasounds in place of passwords relatively soon. Microsoft may be planning for smoke-signal passwords and Leonardo Da Vinci-style encryption.
......add some modern, advanced way to integrate email accounts and actually show notifications (in a differentiated way) from any single account. Or are you planning to stay in 90s forever? Are you going to make WP a vintage niche OS for few intimate friends and two or three corporations with low end needs?
.......improve aftersales service. I went twice, once when the device had the screen oversensitivity issue and another one recently because white spots appeared on the display. In both occasions those clowns you and Nokia pay to provide "support" were playing with their iphones and Android devices with no clue at all about what i was talking. Showing them the white spots had them surprised like "are you coming here to bother for this?"....
The device has 1 year warranty. You're not honoring that much. Service in Taipei SUCKS! Service on the phone is good when you bump into an US based operator. Terrible when you have to use non US call centers (including the level of English many speak that is beyond a lost language in some cases to end with the arrogance of certain operators).

Overall WP doesn't have so many problems, just a 2 or 300.

And say it would take very little to fix them all with one single update! Busy life at Microsoft.

Last edited:

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: A letter to Mr. Nadella Subj: WP

One idea that caught my attention was: to MS set up a developer 1 billion trust fund to payoff developer to create and bring local and big apps to WP.

They already do this: Microsoft reportedly paying developers $100,000 or more to build apps | The Verge

When a cross-platform game comes out and only gets 400 downloads on the WP Store, yet gets 20,000+ downloads on the App Store or Google Play, don't you ever wonder why the developer even bothered with Windows Phone to begin with? It's because Microsoft is subsidizing them. It's also why apps get left sitting in the store buggy or without updates. Developers get their payout from Microsoft and abandon them.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You do realise that encryption of this sort is entirely pointless as the NSA and the rest of the alphabet soup have direct access to the servers and most likely to fiber-optic telecom hubs as well? They can just access MS' servers directly or if that doesn't happen. MITM using their access to the physical layer. There's nothing MS can do about that.

Finally, everything you said is also meaningless because those kinds of encryption (SSL and the rest) are vulnerable to master keys held by Verisign, Equifax and other CA certificate providers (mostly US-based). If you have their keys, you can root everything.

If you can't make a point without being condescending, then most would appreciate it if you'd spare us your remarks. I hope we can continue without being childish.

Anyway, MS has moved parts of their infrastructure outside the U.S. For many of us, that single-handedly invalidates most of your points. However, if you live in the U.S. and you are worried about the NSA spying on your digital life, well, then things are thornier.

I don't know what EndOfRope's exact security and online privacy concerns are, but for most people, the NSA shouldn't be amongst them. Why? Because for the NSA, the vast majority of U.S. citizens are completely uninteresting. More importantly, the NSA is in the national security "business", meaning they have no interest in exploiting information about you commercially. Being a government entity means they lack a profit motive, which automatically leads to a much lower risk of your information being misused (compared to commercial companies).

In my experience, the NSA argument is often used by Google apologists as a way to suggest that caring about online privacy is pointless. The standard argument goes something like this:

Because the NSA has the ability to access virtually any digital information about any U.S. citizen, the notion of online privacy doesn't really exist, so why care about it at all? Since all your privacy is already compromised, Google (or any other company) can't compromise it any more than it already is. IMHO that is complete BS. The ability to access information, by itself, isn't really relevant at all. As I've said elsewhere, what is relevant is how that information is used! In that respect, Google, Amazon and MS, being commercial companies, are completely different from the NSA.

For many people, the idea that private companies are constantly trying to monitor everything we do and build a psychological/behavioural profile of us is just downright creepy. Others have very rational concerns, revolving around doctor- or attorney-client privilege and/or industrial/economic espionage, just to name a few. For all these people, what services they use, the related ToS and privacy laws do matter, NSA or no.

As such, I'd strongly disagree with your conclusion that all of this is meaningless.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, MS has moved parts of their infrastructure outside the U.S. For many of us, that single-handedly invalidates most of your points. However, if you live in the U.S. and you are worried about the NSA spying on your digital life, well, then things are thornier.

No, even if MSFT has moved the servers to a foreign jurisdiction, it is required to provide the data to US government. See:
Judge upholds warrant for Microsoft e-mail on foreign server - The Washington Post

Also, if you had read the book by Glenn Greenwald, you will see AG VK does have a quite valid point:
No Place to Hide (Greenwald book) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

s2mikey

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Id like to see Windows simply keep eveolving the interface and keep the devices coming. The UI is slick and functional. Its just as smooth as any of the other mobile OS's, that for sure. Actually, WP seems less bloated as Android but a little more customizable than iOS. Its really a good product as is - my Lumia 520 is my very first real smart phone and Im pretty impressed with how it works and the WP system.

Of course though, there needs to be more killer apps. Even more customization would be great. I still think the bottom line is more people need to STOP being afraid of WP and realize that even though Windows 8.x on a laptop or desktop might be dodgy, its GREAT for a smart phone. I think the sour taste in peoples mouths from early Windows 8 releases has turned poeple off to WP. Its a shame too - WP is as good or BETTER than android or iOS and I mean that. I own an iPad Air and a Macbook pro too so Im not anti-apple or anything ;)

EndOfRope

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
what i mean about encryption is not only the usual encryption like ssl which is basically for the traffic of the data. I do make mostly fotos from holiday or family and sometimes i use it also for work. Maybe it?s only me but i don?t like it if anybody even from Microsoft or any us agency has the chance to view my private photos even if they must be boring for them. And anything from work ist mostly under NDA. The same is for my contact data or anything else on my phone. Technically it would be possible to encrypt data, for example like spideroak does. So i decided not to use onedrive or anything cloudbased for now. That makes the use of the phone difficult for me, because i have to backup my contact data on a piece of paper. Thats a step back compared to my old Nokia 5230.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Also, if you had read the book by Glenn Greenwald, you will see AG VK does have a quite valid point:
No Place to Hide (Greenwald book) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You've completely missed the point.

You are still talking about the NSA, while I just finished explaining why the NSA's activities aren't something I'm considering (for now). Until the U.S. general public becomes politically active over the NSA's constitutional violations, the NSA's tactics will remain outside our sphere of influence. Meanwhile, I take some comfort in the fact that the NSA lacks a profit motive (the primary motivator for misuse) and instead focus on the things we can influence, meaning commercial companies like Google, Amazon or MS.

Again, as already stated, just because the NSA can get at whatever they want, doesn't make it rational to decide that any company that wants access might as well have it too!

No, even if MSFT has moved the servers to a foreign jurisdiction, it is required to provide the data to US government. See:
Judge upholds warrant for Microsoft e-mail on foreign server - The Washington Post

MS is not yet required to provide that data. That case is still being fought in a court of law, and only after a final ruling in the governments favour will MS be compelled to do so. That is why I said the issue is thornier for U.S. citizens.

Should the U.S. judicial system be unable to uphold privacy rights for its citizens and decide in favour of the U.S. government, then its likely that the E.U. will step in to at least enforce some privacy rights for its own citizens.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello, what i mean about encryption is not only the usual encryption like ssl which is basically for the traffic of the data.

Yeah, although the techniques currently employed at MS are more sophisticated than just SSL, you are correct that they only address the encryption of data in transit. Not storage.

Maybe it?s only me but i don?t like it if anybody even from Microsoft or any us agency has the chance to view my private photos even if they must be boring for them

I don't think that is "only" you. I suspect a lot of people, if not most, feel that way.

On the other hand, I know a lot of people with similar concerns who are nevertheless willing to turn around and store confidential information on their smartphone, where it is, statistically at least, even less secure. The chances of our smartphones being stolen or lost are astronomically high compared to the chance of an MS staffer coincidentally stumbling across that information on OneDrive (very few actually have direct access to those servers). You can bet your last dollar that stolen or lost smartphones often have their photos sifted through and sometimes uploaded to the web.

I also have some confidential data to take care of, but none if it is on my smartphone, or any other casually used mobile device. I don't have confidential contacts, and with one exception, none of my e-mail accounts are confidential either. That one account isn't synced to my smartphone though. A stolen smartphone would be an inconvenience for me, but not the end of the world, precisely because all the data on it is backed up to the cloud. That too is a matter of security.

Oh yeah, and if you do the encrypting yourself, OneDrive can be an extremely secure option for cloud storage. Use PGP and you'll even deny the NSA access to your data.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents on smartphone privacy and security.

Last edited:

Llordy

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone Is great. I have loved the power of Windows since Windows Mobile (my first smart phone), I love the simplicity and smooth performance that Windows phones have. For me, I thought that Windows Phone 7 was going to be awesome since I was on Windows Mobile 6.5. But after hearing about all the lack of capabilities of Windows Phone 7 compared to Windows Mobile I was greatly disappointed; and when my friend got his first Android phone I was blown away by the array of features, apps, and customizability, it was like Windows Mobile with smooth performance, and modern refresh (at least how I wanted Windows Phone 7 to be like.

My point being, I like the simplicity of the OS and Its performance compared to competitors, but it is being held back by the "Iron fist", so to speak, of Microsoft on the OS, and the innovation that developers can achieve on competing platforms. For the sake of security on the platform, some of the lock downs are necessary, but I don't see why Microsoft, when they know they don't have a feature, put a security control on the OS to stop developers from supplementing that feature on their own. I believe that if Microsoft wants developers to come to the platform, in order for the platform to grow, the OS has to be like an open canvas for developers to create new apps, rather that looking for workarounds and loop holes just to make their apps work like they do on competing platforms.

To be truthful, Apple paved the way in the innovation of the smartphone, and made it what it is today, in terms of popularity, and has made the OS simple with its OS limitations. Microsoft seems to be trying to recreate that same effect for Windows Phone with it OS limitations; but it can't work now because when IOS did that, it was the first time that it was happening in the market ever, and now they have had time to mature and gain experience as to want consumers want.
Microsoft on the other hand, now have realized that the features that they offered Since Windows Phone 7's inception, were appreciated in minority compared to the global market, such as the Hubs and Start Screen customizations, so now they have to change and even roll back some features to the likeness of other platforms and even to Windows Mobile.

Everybody wants to get the most possible out of want they have. That's why a lot of people on Android and iOS refuse to move to Windows Phone because when they find that they have more options and capabilities with Android or iOS compared to Windows, they feel that they need to have those feature even though they may never use them.

For now, I still use Android, because sometimes when I'm doing something on my phone and a situations comes up and I have to do some unusual things on my phone, I think, " I wonder if I can do this on my phone?", and then I try it and android has an option to do what I wanted, without me even needing to ask Google to included that feature (I mean seriously, I have to beg just to be able to download in the background). Though I will recommend new smartphone users to go with Windows because of its simplicity.

Microsoft needs to appeal to users, not by just saying, " Hey! We can do what everyone else is doing just a little bit better", or, "We have Apps!"
But rather that, "You can do what you want, when you want it, and how you want it even before you know you want it"

Its thanks to committed people like those on forums like these, who genuinely want the platform to be better, that are keeping 'Windows Phone' alive today.

Last edited:

Biju Nair

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I am from india. I bought lumia 520 by accident. But i fell love with its user interface

I think windows require only one phone to change everything. atleast by 50%.

a phone with Lumia1320 Tech spec with Lumia 625 design Body with dual sim, expandable memmory and priced around 12000 to 15000. Because Lumia 1320 is listed now 16 to 17500

Now the apps. Make the apps complete.

Smart dial/Speed dial is not available in Phone dialing pad. But the same is available forMessaging
Notification center does not include Mobile data connect. I use wifi at office. to Switch between i had have to download another app.
Focus on Music...Provide some Different Headphone which gives Good Soung Carity
most Important Battery back up to last for 2 days....I think Nokia Lumia 625 Battery last for 2 days in continious use.

I could think only these now :)

Last edited:

senthil gnanasekhar

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
These things would be nice to have
1. Schedule SMS delivery. Type an message and schedule it to send at a time
2. Search contacts from dialing app by typing in the dialer. Mow I need to go to people to search for a contact if I have not called that contact before
3. Save contact with phone number and pause with commas and then pass code. This is very useful when I want to dial a conf bridge and then put a pass code after an initial announcement
4. All latest games or exclusive games only on windows phone

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft needs to FIX the Xbox Hub on Windows Phone 8.1....ASAP

I was never a big achievement guy before Windows Phone, once I got WP7 and saw the features of the Xbox Hub, I loved it, I love seeing gaming status and seeing my achievements in real time. I went from having a 3500 gamer score to over 12,000 in one year.

This is what we should see and be asking for.

1. Allow the option to keep all games in the hub (a toggle option for people with a lot of games) like you could in WP7
2. Update the Hub to show all achievements including Xbox One with games and details (MAJOR)
3. Start pushing the advantages of using Xbox live to Devs....#SaveXboxWP

Social
How about enabling features from Xbox One and 360 ?
-Videos
-Hear audio messages from Xbox one and 360 users on the phone
-See better detail on status on fellow gamers like the feed on the xbox one.

MOST of all, put it in one place, not an extra app, make the built in Hub a place for ALL games and Xbox related things.

Windows Phone 8.1 as been a MAJOR disappointment for gamers, we all expected them to expand on the Xbox Hub, instead they just stripped out features like they forgot about it...It's sluggish, does not update correctly, it's full of bugs....(even last played games is not accurate on the DP 8.1.1)...

Microsoft needs to get their act together on this Aspect, one of the coolest feature for a gamer for WP was Xbox support with Achievements.....and we watch this die day by day... If I just wanted a phone for games, I would of gone Android or iOS, we all know they have more games and get them quicker.

There really needs to be an advantage for gamers to go to Windows Phone and Microsoft is just screwing it up....

If your on twitter, use the hashtag #SaveXboxWP.... Let MS know this is important to you.

Last edited:

El_Burro

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Comparing to my old Droid DNA, SMS delivery status would be nice. It makes it look like it sends the message instantly, then in areas with poor service...will turn around and show it did not send, there is no hour glass or anything that shows if it completed its send or not. I liked the option on my DNA as well that if it failed, it asked you if it could automatically retry when there is service available. Would be neat.

Actually I hate the hourglass in the Android OS. I prefer the method WP uses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett