Can I use my phone as PC screen?

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
WiDi is a proprietary Intel standard, no hope for you there haha.
Would need to write an app, but even then there would be some latency issues involved.

Easiest way would be to use Remote Desktop. You might know about this already..
On Linux (Xserver) you can have multiple users in the same session. Windows you are limited to one user per session, but you can have a patch to have multiple user sessions active.

In other words:
1 - Install this Step by step on how to Configure multiple concurrent RDP clients to run SambaPOS (IPHONE ,IPAD, Galaxy tablet) - SambaClub Forum
LOOK FOR THE PATCHES, not the 2X software

2 - Install Microsoft Remote Desktop from App Store
3 - Make a new user
4 - Enable remote desktop for user
5 - Connect!

Hope this helps

ShadowDK

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply :) I have considered remote desktop, but I wasn't sure if its safe to have the PC turned on all the time with remote access enabled?

The PC I wish to connect with is running Windows 8.1 Pro and my phone will be on the same network as the PC. I wont need to connect remotely to the PC when I am not home.

Will the remote desktop only be accessible for computers on the same network?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Because you might have disgruntled employees, or a neighbor who has guessed your wifi password, somebody with virus, rootkit or remote control app on their computer unknowingly, or any other number of people on the inside who it might need to be secured against.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I see :)

However, how come the guide I have linked below describes how to secure remote desktop, even though it is just considering local network (see the section "securing remote desktop)?

How to Enable and Secure Remote Desktop on Windows

Thought you only wanted a "second screen".
If you wanted to use your PC on the go, you would not need any patches haha.

Like PepperdotNet said, should not apply to you, assuming your PC and passwords are secure.

ShadowDK

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes I did originally ask about using my phone as secondary monitor, but that was actually because I thought it could be easier than using it to control the PC - but controlling the PC is in fact be the optimal solution (my plan is to use my phone to control my htpc).

However, I don't quite understand the following (from the link in my previous post):

"There are a lot of bots constantly scanning the internet for vulnerable PCs running Remote Desktop, so don’t underestimate the importance of a strong password."

I know it's just some random site I found about this, but it just seems there is something I'm not understanding here :) If it's only accessible on the local network, how could bots scan for PCs running remote desktop and try to access them?

jaspreet Atwa1

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I know it's just some random site I found about this, but it just seems there is something I'm not understanding here :) If it's only accessible on the local network, how could bots scan for PCs running remote desktop and try to access them?

This applies only if you agree running your PC on a public IP or you have remote desktop port open on your fire wall

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3