Why am I getting error messages when I use Office 365?

oshea

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone 8.1 and Office app + Office 365 sub. question

I have the nokia 830 and i noticed something that I do not understand about office 365. I have office 365 home account. I have in the settings of the phone my MS account established. Now, when I go to the MS Office app there is a place called "Office 365" (see picture) and, when i click this, then an option pops up for "set up account." I then enter my MS information and then I get this error message, "We encountered a problem and couldn't compete this task." What does this mean? I called MS and out of the 5 reps I called 1 didn't know, 2 told me I need a "business" 365 account, but then 2 other reps said for the phone Office 365 that both the Home or Business accounts give the same benefits. I do not understand. I am able to open up documents and create them, but then why have this "set up" section. What is it, and what does it do?
Thanks for the help.
IMG_0567.JPG

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Windows phone 8.1 and Office app + Office 365 sub. question

The Office 365 on windows phone is strictly the business side of office 365 (SharePoint). If you have the personal subscription for $99 year, its solely your Microsoft account. You do not have to use one of your 5 licenses on WP because the office apps are built in.

ADDED: You do not need to do anything with the phone if you have the personal account... as long as you setup and signed into the phone with your Microsoft Account address that has the subscription. And just to further clarify, the subscription really doesn't do anything for your phone because the apps are included. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook. (You do have to download OneNote and OneDrive (App) from the store). OneDrive is sort of built into the office hub. You are getting (with that subscription) 5 licenses for upto 5 other devices, 1TB of OneDrive Stores..(Scratch that... Unlimited now), and 60 minutes of Skype credit per month.

oshea

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

So the "Office 356" set up on the Office app is only for business "SharePoint(s)" ?

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

So the "Office 356" set up on the Office app is only for business "SharePoint(s)" ?

Yes. That is only SharePoint. For sure the hosted Office 365 business side and I think even a stand alone sharepoint server. So if your company has a SP site, you can use that setting to add it.

oshea

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

Thanks !
I called MS and talked to the sales department, the apps and windows phone department and no one could tell me that.
It could help if they just labeled "SharePoint" beside the "Office 365" title and it would make it more obvious.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99