Why do Windows phone users have a low standard when it comes to applications?

anon(9193737)

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone users have a low standard when it comes to applications!

Im very surprised over how low the standard is, if you check out the recents review on the spotify app, all are are like "OMG this app is made by god and its so good"

The app have 4? stars out of 5, (WTF)

The app for iphones are so much better, its smooth, no bugs, it has lots of feature, and many more options plus it looks stunning compared to the one for WP.

In reality the spotify app for WP is, Buggy, slow sometimes, dosen't look that nice compared to other WP apps, it has not option/feature, you can't search in your playlists.

A proper rating for the WP spotify app would be like 2-3 stars, if it looked like that on a Iphone.

But i don't think that many WP users have any idea what criteria a good app has to
cover.

It's not only the spotify app, but this is the one that pisses me off, check out the IMDB aswell, 3? stars out of 5 (WTF) that app might be the worst ive ever seen so far. And still people be like "OMG can't live without you"

Am i right, because this frustrates me a bit?

Ollie

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows phone users have a low standard when it comes to applications!

People are just making do with what they can get. Glass half full and all that. The apps are lackluster and it is a shame wp is getting the bad end of the app deal but it's what is available. Until and unless the devs decide otherwise. It's better than nothing. Look at what snap chat and secret are about to pull.

anon(9193737)

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

Well i can't really see why people rate the app with 5 stars anyway, one thing is to accept how the apps are, thats what im trying to do, but i would never rate something with 5 stars if i didn't like it.

;(

Tasha Jaiswal

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site

I feel that the apps are way too slow when compared to iOS or Android apps. For ex: WhatsApp or Viber opens too slow in my Lumia 525 and on the other hand its very smooth in Moto E which has the same processor and RAM. Its quite disappointing.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

It does seem that the apps are a second or third thought - and some really are not optimised, on higher memory or lower memory devices. Again, it's the devs who chose to do this. WP doesn't present any incentive, due to poor sales or whatever. That state is hard to address and remedy.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

My standards must be lower than you think. I read your post didn't I?

anon(9193737)

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

Yes i know thats its the devs responsibility to make good apps, it is the users that have to stop 5 star rate all the bad apps, so the devs maybe can see that there is a problem.

Right now the spotify app has 4? star rated by about 30k people, and thats a bad signal, because it shows that the app is almost just perfect, and it is not at all.

Hoekie

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

@Tasha Jaiswal Lumia 735, Whatsapp loads instantly. Can't load any faster ;)
When compared to a Moto G, a Lumia is definitely faster.
When is takes a little longer it depends more on the app then on the OS it runs.

More on the subject: my guess is people that use WP know they have the nicer UI and the App UI is more consistent.
People don't give stars for nothing. Perhaps try to understand the advantages instead of questioning their level of good judgement of apps.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

I feel that the apps are way too slow when compared to iOS or Android apps. For ex: WhatsApp or Viber opens too slow in my Lumia 525 and on the other hand its very smooth in Moto E which has the same processor and RAM. Its quite disappointing.

Apps that load slow either don't have proper fast resume enabled or are not optimized for 8.1. The difference in IOS and Android is the way apps are made to work in background. For example, an app in Android runs truly in background, like proper multitasking. In IOS, the apps get tombstoned same as WP but when the app icon is clicked from the springboard it resumes instantly whereas in WP the only way ANY app would instantly resume is when it's invoked from the app switcher menu, apps that support fast resume only resume when opened from the clicking the tiles or icon. Again this is something that the developers should be fixing and not Microsoft. Also on your note on WhatsApp being slow, it loads almost instantly since the last update on my 925, 830, 920 and 630. The only thing lacking is feature parity which i guess is slightly lacking behind the current IOS and Android versions

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

Im very surprised over how low the standard is, if you check out the recents review on the spotify app, all are are like "OMG this app is made by god and its so good"

The app for iphones are so much better, its smooth, no bugs, it has lots of feature, and many more options plus it looks stunning compared to the one for WP.

In reality the spotify app for WP is, Buggy, slow sometimes, dosen't look that nice compared to other WP apps, it has not option/feature, you can't search in your playlists.

A proper rating for the WP spotify app would be like 2-3 stars, if it looked like that on a Iphone.

But i don't think that many WP users have any idea what criteria a good app has to
cover.

It's not only the spotify app, but this is the one that pisses me off, check out the IMDB aswell, 3? stars out of 5 (WTF) that app might be the worst ive ever seen so far. And still people be like "OMG can't live without you"

Ollie

Don't worry I think alike. ;) :) I mean as I also own Android I always compare so I know what I can spam developers with :D fortunately apps gets updates - Viber for comparison.. Although it still needs some work..

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

TO OP - You seem to be an attention-seeker! First of all, you have generalized all WP users to a category which according to you is low, this proves you don't have a ******* idea about WP users. You can't be the mass and thus you should think twice before posting threads with such subject line.

Secondly, like or dislike towards an app is highly subjective and folks most of the times don't even bother to rate an app that has got great features (true for all OS). If you think Spotify/IMDB are not that great as compared to iOS then its your thought and you can rate it accordingly. You may help developers by providing your feedback and that way it can be brought to the level that matches your standards :)

Each OS is different and if App was your concern, you shouldn't have chosen WP platform as MS is still working hard to close the app gap. However, your concern was with the app quality available on both ecosystem, so help yourself and provide constructive feedbacks to developers. You can do so by rating the app per your choice and that's it. You never had to generalize WP users for one or two apps.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

As long as it gets the job done, I'm fine with it.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I don't use big name apps (Facebook, Spotify, viber, etc) because I don't have a need for their services. I do get the impression that a lot of cross platform services begrudgingly make a WP app but don't pour as many resources into its development as they do the IOS app.

But this is true for what, 25-30 apps at most? There are more apps for WP than just clients to 3rd party services, and the general quality of apps on WP is great than what I generally find on IOS or Android. The scope of your analysis is incredibly narrow, and does not extend to support your statements.

anon(9193737)

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

Hey, well first of all the headline might be a bit to aggrassive, so be it.
But it sounds like you are taken this personally, if you know much about apps and OS you can see where i want to go with this.
And i was just looking for some feedback about my issue, if i was the only one or other users have the same problem.

I do care how people use the rating system, 80 % are rating with 4-5 stars and the feedback are like amazing,good,perfect and so on.
And thats a lie, if they just knew how a good app look and work like.

I know that MS is trying to fix alot of this, and i knew it before i bought my Lumia 930, and i accept it and im looking forward to updates.
But its the users im picking at.
Ofc im not saying that all wp users are like that, but there er WAY to many.
fx the spotify app is made by spotify them self, so it has nothing to do with MS.
If the ratings was like 50/ 50 i would probably not have made this thread, but i when i see ratings on different apps its like 90 % 4-5 stars and 10 % who gives a good criticism of the app that the devs can use to improve it.

Anyway im glad that some in here see the problem as i do.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

App review scoring has been abused any misused constantly over time, regardless of the apps or platform.

It's the wording of the reviews which should be taken as the main point. Having thousands of "Great app" or "Useless" really means nothing at all. Someone taking time to really describe why they like and app or what fundamental faults it has is worth more than a hundred other badly wored reviews.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

I don't think OP is trying to bash WP users, but it comes across that way. I think most WP users choose to use it for specific reasons--why else would you use a low market share OS? I don't really read too much into app reviews as there is a ton of variance in the number and quality of reviews and often app updates make many of the prior reviews moot. So, no, I don't agree that WP users have low standards when it comes to apps.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

My thought is that WP users are willing to put up with less apps, and lower quality apps, for the other benefits WP provides. It's somewhat of a compromise. Some see it as worth it; others don't.

jamie johnston

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

cover.

Ollie
Brace yourself!!

boltz82

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

While I think that the WP quality lags in some aspects I think you are blowing things out of proportion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3