Transferring sms to Android device

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't seem like it's possible, but if anyone knows it'll be someone on these forums.

I'm trying to restore/sync all my sms conversations from my 1020 to my new Android phone. I'm currently waiting on a Note 4 to be delivered but I tried to do this on a Z3 and had no luck at all.

I've contacted Lumia support on Twitter but they weren't able to help. Xperia support suggested their Transfer Data app but that does not support messages to WP.

It would be a massive shame if MS have not made it possible to do. AFAIK, it can be done to and from other platforms and it's also possible to transfer the data to WP. It just seems that MS don't want people to leave!

Does anyone know if it is possible please?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Oddly enough the Transfer My Data app has the capability to transfer SMS to the SD card which doesn't help you in this instance as you don't have one. It's a bit strange that this capability isn't available for all phones regardless.

Other than that I haven't been able to find anything other than the backup data you can get from Outlook.

Last edited:

GrandGerminator

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
It's not possible to transfert SMS from your old Windows Phone to your new one with this app (now we can do it with OneDrive). So I think it's impossible to transfert our SMS from a Windows Phone. We only can transfert to it from other OS

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Indeed try the transfer my data app. If that does not work maybe the following will work:
Use backup your sms on your 1020.
Change your sim card to your android phone.
Add your 1020 Microsoft account to android.
And now see what happens.

GrandGerminator

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Indeed try the transfer my data app. If that does not work maybe the following will work:
Use backup your sms on your 1020.
Change your sim card to your android phone.
Add your 1020 Microsoft account to android.
And now see what happens.

Can we add a MS account to an Android phone ? As we can do in IOS or WP ?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Transfert my data does not transfert SMS from Wp to Wp ! That's why I think SMS can't be sent trop a WP. I'm waiting for your excuses
You don't need to transfer from WP to WP your account does it automatically from backup.

They asked for an option. I told them that they can use the app to export SMS data to SD which they don't have, which is unfortunate. Did you miss the way I wrote it or something? The app states it can do this. So is the app lying?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I thought I found something but didn't.

I think your only option is going through web based Outlook.com and getting what you want there... At least I hope it's still there.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Android has a plethora of apps that backup and restore SMS using an .xml file. Maybe it would be possible to take the Outlook backup from WP and somehow convert it to the appropriate .xml format, either manually or with a script.

GrandGerminator

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
You don't need to transfer from WP to WP your account does it automatically from backup.

They asked for an option. I told them that they can use the app to export SMS data to SD which they don't have, which is unfortunate. Did you miss the way I wrote it or something? The app states it can do this. So is the app lying?

The app is lying... Yes an no. Because you can transfert your sms, but only in certain situation. In the situation described above, that's not possible.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The app is lying... Yes an no. Because you can transfert your sms, but only in certain situation. In the situation described above, that's not possible.

Yes, I know that. I had pointed that out already and I have stated it twice. It only exports to SD card, this I know. So no, the app isn't lying, it just doesn't do this on all phones. Which is frustrating for someone like the OP.

As I also stated, the only option appears to be through Outlook but I'm not 100% certain if that option is still there. Unfortunately I can't access via the web at work.

Unascki

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Many people say the Facebook can be used to transfer data, i have tried but that didn't work out, i can not link my Facebook account , it's not scientific, i am very confused, such as transfer SMS from Android to Android or other phone , as i guess , it might be more effective to try some transfer tools

Last edited:

Leonardocezary

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site
Hello guys,

Maybe someone is still looking for a solution. I have one. I've made an app which helps you import your SMS messages from Windows Phone to Android. It is called Import SMS from Windows Phone.

It is Free and has no limit for the messages which can be imported. It has no Ads.

It imports both .vmsg and .msg file formats.. It reads the date format correctly from the .msg file.. If you receive a SMS while you're importing.. you won't lose that SMS. Also, it reads all the diacritics and the emojis.

Simply copy the .vmsg/.msg into your Android device and the app will search for all the backup files. You can select from which numbers you want to import your SMS messages or you can import them all at once.

Here is a tutorial on how to export on Windows Phone and how to use the app:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4eOVeh9960

You can find it here on Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smsbackup.leonardocezary.smsimporter

Thank you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99