Tile layout related to performance?

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Showing less tiles (4 small tiles horizontally) on your windows phone improves performance whereas showing more tiles decreases performance?
I've been using the 6 tiles layout till today, I switched back to the 4 tiles layout a while ago and surprisingly felt a performance improvement in my 520. The OS just became faster and snappier. Apps are opening more quickly and are more responsive. Is it supposed to happen or I'm just being delusional?

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, what??

Lol I was theoretically calling you a liar. Well that was my first thought anyway. Then I went and moved back down to two columns and it seemed to run better. I'm on an L635 btw

Edit: Oh and this --> 💩 is a pile of ****. It turns out even though **** isn't in the dictionary the keyboard still suggests the **** emoji lol

Edit 2: What? Since when is p,o,o,p an expletive? Ok the first "expletive" was supposed to read p,o,o,p.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
After trying it plz share your experience, if you notice any improvement or not...

After using two columns for a few days (and getting over how big the tiles were) I've noted that the rendering of the icons on my translucent tiles is certainly faster. Also zooming around Start in general still seems to be quicker as well.

go1020

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I thought I was the only one but I've noticed this on my 1020. Had to make some tiles small (which effectively disables live tile/flipping functionality), to regain some performance (lost in 8.1) in general (loading, resuming, start screen rendering). Can't give up live folders, may be that helps too. I've been using 2 columns from the beginning and having less live tiles seems to help in general with 8.1.

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Good to hear that you guys faced some improvements and I wasnt alone. It would be better if it also fixed the resuming issues. But oh well, its wp's true best friend, nothing can fix that.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Good to hear that you guys faced some improvements and I wasnt alone. It would be better if it also fixed the resuming issues. But oh well, its wp's true best friend, nothing can fix that.

You only get that screen if the app doesn't use instant resume aka isn't made for WP8.1 but for WP8. Look at the difference in Skype app. These are much better issues than Androids freeze and shut downs thankfully.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
May I add that this is only a placebo everyone is experiencing. What you are essentially doing is removing distractions on screen by making tiles huge. You have 3-4 less flipping times. The live tiles ask refresh when you home your screen. Less of these, less action you see.

If you want to test it, remove Cortana tile from start and you will see exactly same effect. Cortana updated more frequently than any other time and that's why you get resuming screens. Unpin just that one tile and you will see your phone loves it.

go1020

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
May I add that this is only a placebo everyone is experiencing. What you are essentially doing is removing distractions on screen by making tiles huge. You have 3-4 less flipping times. The live tiles ask refresh when you home your screen. Less of these, less action you see.

If you want to test it, remove Cortana tile from start and you will see exactly same effect. Cortana updated more frequently than any other time and that's why you get resuming screens. Unpin just that one tile and you will see your phone loves it.

Personally, I don't think it's placebo. For me XBM is the biggest offender as far as "resuming..." goes. Skype is much better now, if you're going in and out of the app in short intervals. Music always shows resuming - duration varies by idle time. I don't think it's an 8.1 app yet, at least it closes when I back out of it.

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Either placebo or not, we're liking what change it has brought us. Even if theres no effect of it in reality we're happy with whatever effect it has on our mind :p
But tbh I think unpinning some live tiles or making the tiles smaller frees up some RAM space, which explains the phone's improved responsiveness. Just a theory, I don't think anybody knows what's really happening under the hood... Unless you're from Microsoft.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Holy cheese and rice!! Yes unpinning the Cortana tile made a world of difference in performance! It will stay unpinned as I can easily access it via the 🔍 button. The performance improvement isn't a placebo however, from what I can tell on my L635 when comparing 2v3 columns, two always seems faster and more responsive. After unpinning Cortana, performance noticeably improved for both layouts however 2 columns still felt faster than 3. So to keep performance at its optimum (at least for low end devices) it's best to have only two columns and no Cortana tile. Merry Christmas 🎄

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
But tbh I think unpinning some live tiles or making the tiles smaller frees up some RAM space, which explains the phone's improved responsiveness. Just a theory

Ooooooooo don't do that lets leave that at your theory lol more RAM doesn't mean more performance. RAM simply allows the OS to keep things in memory i.e. less resuming screens. So in that aspect it allows for quicker navigation between apps since you'll see less "resuming..." going on, it does not however increase the responsiveness of the actual UI (scrolling response etc) that job falls on the CPU/GPU.

afnan_mc

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
My phone has been slowing down pretty bad lately. Often times takes several seconds to render the start screen properly (I've got way too many apps on it). Switching back to two columns improved performance quite a bit. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism