WP8.1 GPS application that can help me navigate in places where no road exist?

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I am looking for a WP8.1 GPS application that can help me navigate in places where no road exist.

For example, if I am in a trip on an uninhabited island in the middle of a lake and I know the GPS coordinates of a point of interest somewhere on that island, I can not use HERE maps because it finds no road, displays a warning and everything ends here.
There should be applications (I can not find them) that draw a straight line and show the distance between the departure and destination point and also the current location as I progress toward the destination trying to remain as close as possible to that straight line.

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
It suffers of the same problem as HERE maps. Outdoor-Navigation warns me that no route can be found and stops.

What I need is something quite basic like in the sketch below:

==================================================

Departure x---------------------------------------------------------x Destination

Current position *

==================================================

I just want to know how far from the departure, destination and the straight line between the two points I am as I progress to the destination. The map can show roads, lakes, rivers, etc., between the two points. How to cross, avoid or follow them I will see on the place.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried Maaloo outdoor? I use the geocaching variant (and both apps are converging).

Once you've set your target, you can use a card with a straight line (so it doesn't take into account the roads, or not), and a compass.

Like this:
wp_ss_20141005_0001.png

and the compass show a red dot (target), the north, very easy to orientate towards your target, remaining distance, GPS and magnometer accuracy.

More info here: maaloo | This is the official Blog of the App maaloo Outdoor/Geocaching

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
GPS Calculator can find the distance between two points, a useful feature for me, but it is complicated and impractical for my trips.
What I need is an application where:
1) I set the destination point B.
2) I get the departure position A by GPS.
3) I start to walk.
4) Form time to time I double tap the phone screen to wake up the application and take a quick look at the display to see my new position in relation to A and B.
5) The phone has to go off by itself after 30 seconds.

While checking my new position I do not have to waste a lot of time because this will drain the battery and I need the phone to work at least 1 day without recharging it.

GPS Calculator requires me, that each time I want to check my distance to the destination, to introduce the current position (press a button and it will get the coordinates automatically by GPS) and press enter which takes time. The same operation has to be repeated to find my position in relation with the departure point. There is no way to visualize my location together with the straight line between A and B.
GPS Calculator is for other purposes.

josipogo

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I am use GPS Calculator for business purpose but also for private to look distance between two point while hiking, and very use full is option to see is there optical visibility between departure and arrival point and altitude difference, elevation profile. Maaloo apps I never used before, just installed right now, look nice, promising.
Cheers.

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
It appears that "Maaloo Outdoor" does 90% of what I want to do by applying some tricks in using it.

For example:
1) I set the departure point close to my current initial location, A, (this is a trick) shown always as an arrow.
2) I set the destination, B, by touching the screen in a certain point and naming it as I had done with A.
3) Each time, while walking, I touch A, Maaloo will display the approximate distance between my current location and the departure point. Same is true about destination B.
4) If I touch an unmarked place near A (again a trick) Maaloo will show simultaneously both distances from my current location to the destination and departure points.
5) There will always be a blue line between the Current Location and Destination not A and B but I will likely manage with this configuration.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Hmmmmmm? Are you by chance on Oak Island? If so, your phone is blocked by the Curse of the Masons. It happens when someone tries to find the treasure.

Ax, you are a funny man! LOL

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
First of all, the BEST path between point A and point B are USUALLY not in a straight line. Especially in the back country where it is typically not flat and there aren't any trails.

Second, I would prepare for your trip before you get there by doing exactly what you are doing.

I would recommend GeoGPS because it lets you download a TON of maps while you still have WiFi or Cell connectivity. You WILL need topo and hiking and biking maps. Having aerials wouldn't be bad either as sometimes they will let you see what is on the other side of that rock or mountain.

I do a ton out outdoor navigating and by far GeoGPS is my go to tool. It will do exactly what you are talking about in conjunction with being able to download maps.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism