Switching from iPhone 6 to Windows Phone...

Allen S

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I have been considering switching from iPhone 6 (verizon) to a Windows Phone (doesnt matter the network to me). Our office (I made the decision as I am the Executive Director) just switched from Apple products to the new Surface Pro 3 and I LOVE the SP3. We use SharePoint and Office 365 so my rationale has been that things will probably work better being all in the same ecosystem vs having a SP3 and then an iPhone 6. I have checked the apps that I use most and everyone is in the Windows Store. I am curious as to what other people think about the rationale here and if I were to switch, what device would be recommended. I mainly use my phone for emails, calls, texting, multitasking, etc. Not much photography or games, etc. I want speed but I don't need to have something that provides 15 times the power I really need.

So....
Switch?
What device?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Y
There's really no advantage to using Microsoft's own products on Windows Phone...they are all worse than for iOS. This will most likely change when Windows 10 is released but this is still some time away.

Microsoft's own Office apps much better on iPhone than Windows Phone 8
That is another point I mentioned in this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/330867-wp-has-no-apps-sucks-take.html
Why on earth are Microsoft apps better on platforms that aren't in Microsoft's ecosystem?

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Don't do it! The iPhone 6 is a great device and as was mentioned before; Microsoft's products are better on the iPhone than on their own smartphones.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
But no real sources to state that ;)
The functionality what the op asked for are all there. Those are quite basic tasks on every phone no matter witch platform its running.

And in ios is no longer growth, it is what it is.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I just switched to the Lumia 830, does everything I need it to (email / text, Whatsapp, Facebook, games etc), I don't use it for photography, but the camera takes AWESOME quality photos.
Here are the specs: Nokia Lumia 830 Specifications - Nokia

A few friends I have that own Iphones have referred to my 830 as making their Iphones feel "cheap" :smile:

Andre-Omari John

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I have been considering switching from iPhone 6 (verizon) to a Windows Phone (doesnt matter the network to me). Our office (I made the decision as I am the Executive Director) just switched from Apple products to the new Surface Pro 3 and I LOVE the SP3. We use SharePoint and Office 365 so my rationale has been that things will probably work better being all in the same ecosystem vs having a SP3 and then an iPhone 6. I have checked the apps that I use most and everyone is in the Windows Store. I am curious as to what other people think about the rationale here and if I were to switch, what device would be recommended. I mainly use my phone for emails, calls, texting, multitasking, etc. Not much photography or games, etc. I want speed but I don't need to have something that provides 15 times the power I really need.

So....
Switch?
What device?

Yes, come join us at frustrationville. Fresh anger with a side of disappointment and to wash that down: Elevated blood pressure. Morbid, but as it has been stated: Microsoft's apps work better off their devices than on.

jfdavis17

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
We have have a HTC M8, Lumia 1520, Lumia 1020,Lumia 620, Lumia 520 in our family all are great phones. Of course the last two have horrible cameras but otherwise are solid phones. Definitely learn the usefulness of Cortana,and OneDrive integration, this to me is where windows phones shines.

Allen S

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I feel like SharePoint/One Drive integration would be the major benefit to switching. But seeing the other posts about those apps performing better on iOS makes me wonder...

Allen S

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
That is so crazy to me....you would think if Microsoft built a phone, they would intentionally do whatever possible to make sure their own software worked better on their devices/os.

Allen S

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
The other piece of the puzzle is that I use Outlook on my Surface Pro 3 (via Office 365/Exchange) for my tasks and categorization, etc. and I understood that the Windows Phone would support that organization/categorizations of tasks, etc. instead of having to purchase 3rd party apps/software to make it work.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
don't know about sharepoint, is it an office tool for sharing docs in the could? in that case the experience on wp is seamless without that thing, onedrive is the exception here, it actually works great on wp, and outlook is, again, a seamless experience, these apps are always in sync between my devices

but back on topic, if your iPhone 6 is doing fine for you, keep it, wp wont do it any better honestly, office and onenote are better on iOS, multitasking I believe is faster on iOS, and there are better chances of having the tools you need in the future if you keep using iOS, Microsoft seems determined to have all their services on iOS, the surface pro 3 obviously outperforms any tablet in a business environment, but that doesn't necessarily translates to wp

lbeezy2188

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
A cool thing no one is mentioning is you have the options to save your preferences and share them on all devices if you stay in Windows ecosystem. OneNote, Office and Sharepoint are all seem less if your setting are correct

lbeezy2188

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

wpfan1995

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
iOS has better stability and performance when it comes to applications.
I think better stick with iPhone 6 than Windows Phone for Office work.
Windows Platform hasn't developed much if we are talking about GUI...
Windows 10 will sure make some UI improvements in mobile platform,so just stick and do the work with awesomest tablet ever SP3 and well iPhone6 :eck:

Nahuel 1988

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
This is different from a person to another. Having the Microsoft ecosystem has is pros. Now that being said, the 930 or M8 will get updated to Windows 10. You should give it a try and see if it fits your needs. I switched from a HTC M7 to a 930 and I'm enjoying everything on it, even the office and one drive integration along my Desktop PC and my Windows Tablet. Cheers!