Lumia 1020, very hot while using Internet Explorer

placencjusz

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Did your phone (I have a Lumia 1020) heat up very fast while using Internet Explorer for lets say about 15 minutes?
During IE usage the battery drains extremly fast. Did you experience the same issue?
After 15 minutes it is very hot - I'm worried that a longer usage may do some harm to the phone due to the very hot temperature...

The back of the phone and the screen is getting very hot - if you did experience the same issue, please respond.
I do not have the drain problem while not using the phone - it is cold while idle!

But I did notice, that other applications do also heat up the phone, but not as much as IE...

I have WP version 8.10.12393.890
Firmware version: 3051.50009.1424.0003

Thank you for answers!

dysje

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Happens to all devices with the same SOC. Lumia 830, 920, 925, they all have it. There unfortunately isn't a solution for it either. Especially when browsing for a longer time the battery drain and heat is way too high.

Back in the day when these phones first came out, this soc was waaay high-end and causing some heat with it. It was normal, also for Androids with similar specs.

I'm afraid you'll have to learn live with it. Fortunately with modern devices the situation is better.

You could try Opera Mini... It's not perfect but it doesn't heat stuff up as much either.

placencjusz

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Are you sure that this is the case?
I have two friends at my workplace which one of them is using Lumia 920 and not noticing such thing. He was using this phone for much longer time than I'm using this 1020. Another guy uses the 925 and again - he did not notice such thing.
I once had a Lumia 800, which also was considered as a hi-end device and it was very hard, really very hard to heat it up a little - it was possible only in games and not possible in Internet Explorer (I know that this is not the same hardware, but I'm sure, that this 1020 is not working the way it was intended to...)

I also read a lot of comments, that IE did not heat up the phone before the Cyan update. Are you sure about your opinion? If you are 100% sure then I'm going to return the phone to the seller...

Thank you all in advance.

placencjusz

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
The phone is heating up even, when just a plain website is displayed and screen is always on - set in settings. I know that the CPU is going to heat up when doing something, but it is heating up even when just diplaying the website and NOT browsing anymore. It shouldn't heat up when doing nothing right?

I think that there is something running in the background that makes the phone hot while using IE.

I have just left the store in which I had an opportunity to play with Lumia 1320 and 630. I used IE for some time and the phone heated up on the upper side where the camera is placed. It is other SOC than in the 1020. I played with Lumia 630 also. Both of them were on Cyan and both of them heated up.

All of this makes me think, that this is not SOC related, but system related - a lot of people on the web are saying that this happened after some updates lately.

Please let me know what do you think about all that. Thanks in advance,

Sławek

placencjusz

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I received the Denim Update, but it seems, that nothing has changed in this matter. Phone is still getting hot in Internet Explorer. Is yours phone behaving the same as before the Update? Can anyone say anything more about this problem? Is your Lumia 1020 getting hot in Internet Explorer and rapidly draining the battery?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon