Different Display settings for L925 and L730 with Lumia Denim?

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I have installed Lumia Denim on my L925 recently and I have L730 which had Denim out of the box. I noticed there are a few differences though both run on Denim. Most notably in display settings. I do not have display profiles on L925 which are there for L730? Why is it so?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They put in the effort to make an smaller extra feature available on new devices.

That is one of some things us people using older devices don't get.

Why? My take is that our devices never had that feature in the past, and they aren't going to sink more resources into them for a relatively small feature since it takes work to enable it on a given device.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
But as such they have tweeked Denim for every device and stripped off major stuff like Lumia Camera 5 with excuse of hardware limitation. How much resourses would it take just for such small thing?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But as such they have tweeked Denim for every device and stripped off major stuff like Lumia Camera 5 with excuse of hardware limitation. How much resourses would it take just for such small thing?

Actually, they have not tweaked Denim for every device.
For many older models its little more than a name change, or perhaps a minor fixing-up since Lumia Cyan firmware works fine as is, given the relatively minor nature of the Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 update its corresponding with.

Hmm, maybe I can make an analogy. You're assuming they put the effort in building a skyscraper for each and every phone in the beginning, and then putting the effort in to demolish large sections at the top because "hardware limitations" and "evil-ness."
They don't, maybe they add another floor or two for older devices, but there isn't going to be much return-on-investment in sinking even more resources on already-superseded devices.

It takes effort to do even seemingly minor features. Perhaps they decided it was better to focus on newer devices and other things in development than investing in a brightness profile option many may not realize is there.

Now of course, this is all conjecture, I could very well be wrong since I don't work for Microsoft, but if my Computer Science class a couple years ago means anything, coding can be a pain.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
So it simply means I have Lumia cyan with just a few codes from Denim attached and branded as Denim. I hope this does not happen with W10. Otherwise it just will be Cyan under the hood for old devices. Never can be sure when it comes to MS.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So it simply means I have Lumia cyan with just a few codes from Denim attached and branded as Denim. I hope this does not happen with W10. Otherwise it just will be Cyan under the hood for old devices. Never can be sure when it comes to MS.

IF Windows 10 works well with Lumia Cyan, then I wouldn't care if they put extra work in or not to build an upgrade or not.
Whatever they do, as long as the experience is intact I'm cool.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3