After four years I just left Windows Phone, here's why (mature discussion only please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm mostly writing this as I know Microsoft employees peruse these forums, this is to serve as feedback for them. Of course the community discussion is also enjoyable. Mature discussion only, if you are thinking of commenting "bye then, get lost" or something to that effect. Close your laptop, go outside, and breathe some fresh air. I have been an avid supporter of windows phone, and I don't dislike the platform, it just has too many limitations for me now.

In Jan 2011 I picked up an LG Quantum. Couple years after got a Samsung ATIV S, I've been with wp until last night. My wife and I did a contract upgrade last night, both got the iphone 6. Here's my reasons for leaving the platform:

1) Apps.
Sounds like beating a dead horse I know, but I just can't deal with the lack of apps anymore. I listen to siriusxm every day, and in the car I have to do a hotspot to my wife's old iphone from 2009 to listen. There are no Canadian banking apps, no company apps, nothing. On the odd chance we do have an app, the functionality is limited, or it performs very slow.

2) Microsoft apps
This one is confusing. The Microsoft apps on other platforms are more functional than they are on MS's own platform. Doesn't make any sense. Also, if I can get xbox one glass, onedrive, etc on the iphone, what's to stop me from going over to the better platform?

3) Lack of a flagship
My contract was up, and my phone was a 2012 model. I was ready to move on. What are my options? The only one Bell carries is the 830. Ok, how does it stack up? Almost exactly like my 2012 model. Why upgrade a lateral move, dedicate two years of my life to that. Maybe I'm not their target anymore, but I'm not in the market for a mid-level device. We're professional adults, I'd like something premium. Let's say I buy unlocked though, I still don't have any options. The 1520 or 930 or whatever they are are again, almost as old as my ativ.

4) Targeting developing markets
Please don't get me wrong, there is great moral value in doing this. Bringing technology to the third world, etc. I think it's very admirable. But I live in the first world and hence am looking for a comparable experience. Their presence in India and other countries is great from a moral standpoint, but by focusing on those locations, it means they're not focusing on north America.

5) Changing the platform
This one surprised me, I thought they'd stick with their original vision. They're evolving wp to more resemble Android. I'm not sure why, but they're far from what they first introduced. No more hubs, no more seamless functionality. And I know the reasons, but that doesn't matter. People need to understand that I don't care the reasons. All I know as a consumer is that it's different and more complicated then what I originally signed on for.

Those reasons sum up my decision to leave (as the Sharks say: for that reason, I'm out). It's probably nothing they haven't heard before, but just wanted to reach out and let them know.
I still have an interest in wp, so will still be watching the news and updates about it, but I'll be doing so from a device that suits my needs.

Thanks guys.

Southgarden116

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
A well written post and I totally understand you. I have a Lumia 920 since two years and I will wait until the next Windows Flagship comes out with the final Windows 10 version. If they can't convince me there, I will leave the plattform too, even though I love Windows. But my reasons are the same as yours, just that I live in Austria (Europe). I can wait until summer.. but not longer.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Everyone needs to use an ecosystem that works for them. Being OS neutral is the way to go. If MS wants to do the marathon approach and you want something now it only makes sense to switch if WP is not meeting your needs.

Enjoy your new phone, whatever that may be.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Good luck. Hopefully you can report back in a while (and hopefully I see it pass by).

I've thought of doing the same. I have no interest in Android, and iOS in many ways lacks the integration and "life" of WP.

I've got an Icon (Verizon) and 928 (on GoPhone) and I'm going to try run them into the ground I guess.

I put my 520 on the Dev Preview and hated where 8 1 started going. There is no vision and MS (as usual) always seems to focus on the wrong things.

Put a full featured VPN into it? Nah, muck up the dialer and phonebook.

Do something a little, beautiful, and keeping in theme with the rest of the OS (notifications to the left of Start)? Nah, dump a bunch of games into the Start menu.

Have a functioning music app in this century? HELL NO, FIRE THOSE PEOPLE AND DROP THOSE PROGRAMS -- sorry, is seething rage mature? :p

Looking at "Window Mobile 6.6.6 the Hellspawn Hamburger Edition" coming up this fall, I probably won't update to that and will hope the ex-Nokia employees at Apple come up with some "revolutionary" concepts for cameras like micro xenon flashes, high res sensors, oversampling, lossless digital zoom, and the like.

IPhone 7 here I come :p

(PS started with the Trophy, and in general if I like something with MS they abandon it. WHS, Media Center, Live Mesh, and heaven knows a million other little things. I actually like the "Charms" menu, one standard place for things...of course it's getting dropped *head-desk* .)

Edit: started with WP on the Trophy, have been on Windows forever...we do have a Mac...an old G4 lamp. Grew up on old 9" b/w Macs...

Jeff Erson

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I can feel you...but I am more concern with 1 and 3...i can bear with the rest....apps, the app gap situation is getting worse....banking apps are withdrawing....my local bank doesn't have an app.....I can't find local apps...my network provider gives freebies, but for Android and iOS only....no support for Windows.....i love windows and will always be a fan.....my 2 yr old 920 needs an upgrade but I can't find a good replacement....soon, I'll be with Android....Z4 or G4 or the Nexus 6....

Laurence_Leong

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
What you said is quite true..but for me
?i still can cope with the lack of apps...
?Lack of of flagship, not yet working [ no money for flagship ): ] but honestly, I think 930 does not shine as bright as 1020

I think window phone is nowaday lack of influence in keeping people in window phone ecosystem (hope the release of window 10 solve this issue)

I guess different people have different requirement...
Totally understand your situation.. Hope Microsoft had listen to your voice

PS: I still love the simplicity of window phone

harihar akhil

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I would like to post my honest opinions why my Lumia 520 does not serve any purpose to be a main device.but I would like to describe it based on your point of view.

1. Lack of apps: Did not really care for lack of apps when planning to get Lumia 520 as an upgrade to my galaxy y,but the os itself lacks functionality when compared to galaxy y.and to say my galaxy y does everything(os functionality) than my Lumia 520 leaving aside hardware and camera.

2.msft apps-my main concern.i thought wp would provide me better MSFT office and email (using from 2010) integration with windows phone.and yes I accept it.but really it does nothing compared to their android and ios apps. And wp fan boys would be trolling to wait for wp 10 when ever I ask why isn't not available or any way to make it work on wp.

3.flagship-As being a student I don't have any thing to say about flagships as I can't own any of those things.

4.targeting third world countries.ok I live in India but to say MSFT is just making devices that does not even appeal to consumers and if they are they would be heavily priced or would be loaded with bugs,just like third world devices.

5.probably can't say anything about these things because the os has not yet been released and don't know what really MSFT have planned to make those changes in Windows 10.

Prathamesh Tambe

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Well, need differ from person to person, i got attracted to wp(lumia) just because its camera application, i really like it, the wp interface was the thing i started to love when i actually used it. So yeh, if this platform doesn't get at par or even better than today... I don't care about that, i will just use it as a camera phone 📷

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 isn't going to fix what is missing in Windows Mobile....the addition of a new high end, quality device is what is missing. You can't hold an OS in your hands to show people..they are all looking at the device that runs the OS

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for posting this, it's great feedback and a lot of what you say here has been raised as concerns by others. I have just a few comments to make, but I'm not here to thrash you with the Microsoft stick and make you stay...

1) The App Gap. Yes, it's an issue which is largely perpetuated by market shares and established app developers being entrenched into their comfort zones of Apple/Android. Microsoft are making steps in this direction with the Universal Apps feature - an app you write for Windows will work on any device. Of course this depends on people writing apps for Windows, so I'm not sure the App Gap will go anywhere anytime soon. Personally, I'm not that app-orientated, and I'm happy that things work for me the way I want them to.

2) Microsoft Apps. I guess you're meaning the Office apps here. Historically, the Office functionality was baked into the OS which means that any updates had to be written by the OS team and released as OS updates. Clearly this leads to slow (if any) improvements. This is changing in Windows 10 where Office will be a Universal App and be developed in tandem with apps for other systems.

3) Flagships. There are current flagship models that work very well. The fact that there haven't been recent releases of high powered phones doesn't really mean that there's no flagships. For Microsoft, flagships are a different beast - they're better than the lower tier phones and they have a longer life time. More flagship devices are coming with Windows 10 that will be better still.

4) Targeting developing markets. There's no doubt that Microsoft has been successful in creating powerful handsets at a low cost. The benefits of this are twofold - people love these phones, and they generate numbers in terms of market share and there's a hope that this will lead to more interest from those App Gapper developers.

5) Changing the platform. No, it's not going toward iPhone/Android, Windows is heading towards being more Windows like. Windows 10 gives you a similar experience on any platform.

The irony here is that I'm excited for the future of Windows 10 going forward for the same reason that you're not happy - I'm just seeing things from a different perspective...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like well thought out reasons and honestly IMO each one listed is accurate (especially galling is the androidification of WP, that's reprehensible). Maybe with Windows 12 (or after apple "invents" tiles and hubs as they seem so keen on emulating them) they'll come to their senses.....

stevebor1

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I too am about to leave. I do not really care about an official Instagram or the popular game of the week, but if basic apps are not there, it is impractical to use. Mobile payments, gone. Bank apps, gone. Can't acces b of a mobile website. Starbucks, Target Cartwheel, nope. I seriously carry my Nexus tablet with me to complete these tasks. I might as well combined them into one, android phone. - reality.

Just for the record, I am a WP app developer. I have owned the Nokia 800, 900, 920, 520, 635, 1020, 1520

Status
Not open for further replies.