Why is my phone calling people on its own?

GhostITMG

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
So, a really strange thing happened this morning. At about 6:15 AM, while sitting on my bedside table on the wireless charging cradle, my 920, running the WP8.1 preview (since AT&T hasn't officially updated it yet), decided to call my wife's cell phone. We both woke to her phone ringing with a call from me. I had to reach over and get my phone off my bedside table to hang up the call. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
So, a really strange thing happened this morning. At about 6:15 AM, while sitting on my bedside table on the wireless charging cradle, my 920, running the WP8.1 preview (since AT&T hasn't officially updated it yet), decided to call my wife's cell phone. We both woke to her phone ringing with a call from me. I had to reach over and get my phone off my bedside table to hang up the call. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Your user name says it all :)

But, no never happened to me

vlknff

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Hmm that's an odd one, I would suggest you download Lumia hard reset tool and reinstall your OS. Also there is few settings about avoidance of pocket dial although there were no pockets involved.

Bryon Burns

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Was she a most recent call? Sometimes a phone case, water on the screen, defective digitizer, etc. Can cause phantom screen activity. I know that it's very easy for the phone icon to be pressed if it's a live tile, and then another press to dial a most recent call. Two "presses" in roughly the same spot. That or something woke up Cortana to dial, hehe.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
That's as strange as a co-worker (iPhone) and my brother (AT&T land line) getting calls from themselves. Phone rings, caller ID shows they are getting a phone call from themselves .... :straight:

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I was going to say Ghost In The Machine, then saw your screen name and subsequent posts. Odd stuff for sure. I've been on the receiving end of supposed phantom calls multiple times from one business a county over that I've never done business with and don't speak their language, all hours of the day.

Did you happen to say "Cortana, babe, call my wife next time I'm near her, thanks bunches babe...drinks next week" the night before? Heh.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Is this still happening? Or was it just a one time thing? That is rather spooky though. Also, is there any application that has permissions to do that? Some kind of call spoofer gone awry maybe? I like 920Walker's explanation.

GhostITMG

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for the thoughts! It has not happened again since I posted my initial post. I haven't done a reinstall of the OS yet, but given another post I just made today, I think I may need to. I may also replace the shell with a new one to see if this is any way hardware related. To answer some of the questions, my wife was not the last number I had dialed at the time, in fact I hadn't called her in some time. And there are no apps on my phone that have permission to access the dialer. I'm thinking my 920 may just be passed it's Use By Date :-( I really need MS to release a new flagship soon! I have to hold out until then!

Bobstephen68

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Something very similar happened to me. The other day my wife and I were in the kitchen when her phone rang, I was nearest to it so picked it up and was surprised to see the call was from my phone! My phone was at that time upstairs in our bedroom charging so I thought my daughter must be messing about. When I went upstairs I found my daughter in our room but the other side of the room looking really worried, she then said she had heard my voice coming from the other side of the room saying hello. She didn't touch my phone but when I checked it had registered a call to my wife's phone. I would like to know if this a common thing? so I can put my daughters mind at rest as she now thinks our house is haunted!!!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Likely Caller ID spoofing by maybe an advertiser or a prankster. Our home phone once got a call that said it was from well, the same number associated with that phone.

Katcodes

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
The same thing happened to my husband and I this morning. My phone was sitting docked on its wireless charger and my husbands phone rang at 545 this morning. As I had clearly not called him and was fast asleep we found this to be extraordinarily alarming as well. Have spent quite a bit of time researching this and even called Verizon but couldn't find any answers. I don't think it has anything to do with caller ID spoofing, especially given the similarity in time. Makes me wonder if somehow the wireless charger is to blame here. Exact same scenario.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers