Can I get some help with multiple questions about WP 8.1?

Vlad_Dracul

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Multiple questions about WP 8.1

Hello,

I recently made the switch from a Blackberry to the Lumia 635, and I've been having some slight problems, concerns, and questions.

1. Facebook app: Lock screen doesn't display photos from the FB albums I selected and just shows a blank blue screen with the FB logo on it. I tried reinstalling the app, but no luck still. Is there a way to fix this?

2. App killing: I know there is an Android app called "App Killer" or something similar, is there one for Windows Phone? I want to be able to completely close out of apps. I love getting woke up at 3am because a group chat calls me and thinks I'm logged onto Skype because my Skype app isn't actually closed...

3. Music: Is there a music app out there that reads my music files as actual files and folders, and no playlist and album BS. I can't stand this type of interface. Songs are always misplaced, accused of being "unknown album and/or artist" despite I gave individual song files that specific information, I don't have any complete album. A lot of my music is also foreign, so the at the first sign of a non-English character in the name, filename, artist, or album, it gets misplaced or not even recognized. Also, its much easier to make playlists by rearranging and putting numbers in the filenames on a PC then it is using a silly program. Its Windows, it should be able to read my files like Windows is supposed to do so. It shouldn't be this way, I shouldn't have to carry around my Walkman Mp3 just to listen to complete albums...

4. Pictures: In the same fashion as my music, I put a bunch of pictures onto my SD card, but the phone doesn't recognize them at all, and only shows the pictures that I took with the phone and downloaded with the phone.

Sorry if thats a lot for one post.

Thank you

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Multiple questions about WP 8.1

Hello and Welcome to Windows and Windows Central!

Here's what I've got:

1. Other users seem to be experiencing the same problem, could be a problem on the side of Facebook.

2. Yes, but it's technically not an "app". You should see "Battery Saver" installed on your phone, where you can choose which apps can run in the background or not - apps that don't run in the background basically won't bother you if they're not looking back at you in the active screen, e.g. chat apps shouldn't receive push notifications when they're not allowed to run in the background.

Alternatively, however, there's "Quiet Hours" in the phone settings, where you can choose when your phone would remain silent despite the notifications - especially useful when you're in meetings, in class, sleeping or doing something where you'd rather be not disturbed.

3. I'll pass on this one, I don't really use my phone as music player.

4. There's a technique I've found that might help you with this problem: You would need Microsoft's Files app. The goal is to rename all those folders where you saved the pictures in, and then rename them back to the original folder name. For example, I saved my pictures in a folder called "Zipper" in my SD Card. I just rename it to "Zippera" and then change it back to "Zipper". Afterwards, return to your Photo Hub - you should see either an "Updating" message at the top of the screen or your folders where you've saved the photos.

No problem.:cool:

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site
You can long press on the back button and it will show you which apps are still open and give an option to close them

I too am struggling with the music app - though for different reasons. I found out the hard way that Xbox music app has a limit of 100 playlists. Supposedly they upped the 100 song limit to 1000 not too long ago for playback. As for folders, in my searches for a music app replacement I believe I saw an app that focused on music in folders. I would recommend searching the store. WP currently has poor options for music. Xbox music is pretty bad and there's not a whole lot out there to choose from. Good luck.

I can see my pictures but it isn't as nice as it was on BlackBerry. I have mine in folders on my card and they display as albums in the Windows photo app.

I really dislike the video app's way of sorting. If it had albums like the photo app it would be okay. Despite these little annoyances, I like my WP.

Vlad_Dracul

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Alright, so, I tried some things here:

1. Has there been any fixes for this problem?

2. Battery Saver and Back Button tricked is working out perfectly.

3. Listen is pretty neat, and will be perfect for when I need to bring up single songs. But not quite what I'm looking for.

4. Files is exactly what I needed for photos. It makes me wonder why something this useful didn't come installed on this in the first place! It's like *gasp* actual desktop Windows. This is where a music app needs to be tied in. I should just need to go a music folder and be able to play the whole folder, like I can do on a desktop Windows.

Thanks for the help and the continued help.

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

You might want to check out Folder Play and QuickPlay Pro. QuickPlay is made by the same team that makes Folders. It offers folder support and is both a music and video player in one. It is a paid app - 1.50 I believe - but a nice app. Folder Play is free.

EDIT:
I was able to display Facebook photos on my lock screen using the selected album. I'm not sure how often it is supposed to cycle though. I just did a quick test.

Vlad_Dracul

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Which selected album? I just chose my profile and cover photo albums to use as a lock screen.

Also, that 1.50 is a small price to pay for what I want, haha. Definitely getting it. Thanks.

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: Multiple questions about WP 8.1

I tried both the mobile uploads album and an album I made myself awhile back. I picked the full screen view option.

One thing I do miss from my BlackBerry is the ability to change the music tracks with the volume rocker keys. I hope that can be added to WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs