Changing firmware?

anon(5518418)

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I would like to know if this is possible. I have a Lumia 640, sim free unlocked. I recently moved to the UK Operator EE, EE firmware on the 640 has wifi calling. Would it be possible to flash my 640 with this firmware?

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes but it's a little complicated. I tried this to change the ROM of my unlocked phone from metroPCS to T-Mobile and try to get the LTE working on my network (I'm on neither of those networks) and it worked: Flash a custom country variant using the Windows Phone Recovery Tools

That being said two things:

1- It may not give you the functionnalities you want. In my case I didn't get LTE working.
2- I'm not responsible if you brick your phone or something bad happens.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
1. Shouldn't be an issue as the cv version works fine on EE. LTE is more a hardware thing.

Let is know what the EE fw is like, I may consider it as NFC payment had to use the EE fw too.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
1. Shouldn't be an issue as the cv version works fine on EE. LTE is more a hardware thing.

Let is know what the EE fw is like, I may consider it as NFC payment had to use the EE fw too.

Yes but normally the Lumia 640 should have the same hardware on every carrier which is why I warned him that it might now work :)

anon(5518418)

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Had no luck with this guide. In Fiddler when I change the rules it can't find the nokiacaresuite file. When I turn this off it finds the file but I can't edit it.

anon(5518418)

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I had to hit run to completion however the download server is damn slow, downloads about 2mb sits for 20 secs and does it again, eventually gives up and fails,

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
You have to click on "Run to completion" at every step of the way (maybe 15 times throughout the process). Have you tried that?

pmehatch

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm so pleased this might be possible!
In that link the dude is changing his country variant code. Do we know what to change and what to, to make it download the EE specific firmware?

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm so pleased this might be possible!
In that link the dude is changing his country variant code. Do we know what to change and what to, to make it download the EE specific firmware?

Yes you fool the Windows Phone Recovery Tool to think you have one variant instead of another.

klcow

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, was in the same position as you, trying to get EE WiFi calling working on a unlocked Lumia 640 (got it from Argos). Here's what I did that worked and wifi calling popped up on my lumia 640 settings after that.

1. Download and install the Windows Device Recovery Tool, make sure that it is up to date. You can get it here: FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Microsoft - USA

2. Download the required firmware from Navifirm (you need to know the product code of the device, i.e Lumia 640 SimFree UK: 059X113, Lumia 640 EE UK: 059X1Q3) download software here: Symbian Toys - Software NaviFirm+ to dowload the firmware of your Symbian smartphone

3. Plug your phone in to the computer and confirm that it shows up in my computer

4. Now open command prompt (run as administrator) from this location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Care Suite\Windows Device Recovery Tool

5. enter this command into cmd prompt: thor2 -mode uefiflash -ffufile <LOCATION OF FFU FILE YOU DOWNLOADED> -do_full_nvi_update -do_factory_reset -reboot

6. Your phone will reboot, install the ffu file, wipe itself and reboot. Now try going through setup and see if wifi calling is enabled on your lumia 640.

Try at your own risk. I am not responsible if your phone goes south. I have used the steps above successfully to obtain EE wifi calling on my simfree Lumia 640 (RM-1072)

solidus1983

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Just tried this on my Lumia 640 LTE and it worked a charm. So the next question is do we lose VOLTE when updating from EE's Win 8.1 Upd 2 to Windows 10?

Thanks @klcow

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett