Tmobile Lumia 635 Cyan. Should I do Windows Insider?

billy269

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I have the Tmobile Lumia 635 with Cyan on it. I have strongly considered joining Windows Insider and doing the first slow ring update only since this apparently upgrades the software to "close to denim" and makes the phone run more smoothly. Before going the slow ring upgrade route, I have a few questions:

1. What new features will this allow? Live folders? Tap screen to turn on? My wifes 640 has Denim and I love it.
2. Will I still be able to upgrade to Denim/W10 if Tmobile ever pushes out an official update?
3. Will I have to reinstall all my apps, or will everything on my phone still be there?
4. Will it actually help my phone to run more smoothly, quickly, efficiently, etc?
5. Is there any risk of bricking my phone or is it completely safe?

Thank you so much for any help/advice you can provide!!!! :smile:

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
1. Lots of features to list around. Check the main windows 10 mobile website.
2. Yes, but you might have to do a hard reset. See point 3.
3. You will probably have to reinstall apps. The reason is that a hard reset might be needed to get it working probably. So backup things and copy your photos.
4. It is currently not smoother than 8.1. There are bugs, and it is slower. That will hopefully change as they finish it.

P.s. Generally I find that newer builds are much better so jumping to the fast ring immediately might not be a bad idea (if you are jumping at all). Read known issues with each build.

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I have the Tmobile Lumia 635 with Cyan on it. I have strongly considered joining Windows Insider and doing the first slow ring update only since this apparently upgrades the software to "close to denim" and makes the phone run more smoothly. Before going the slow ring upgrade route, I have a few questions:

1. What new features will this allow? Live folders? Tap screen to turn on? My wifes 640 has Denim and I love it.
2. Will I still be able to upgrade to Denim/W10 if Tmobile ever pushes out an official update?
3. Will I have to reinstall all my apps, or will everything on my phone still be there?
4. Will it actually help my phone to run more smoothly, quickly, efficiently, etc?
5. Is there any risk of bricking my phone or is it completely safe?

Thank you so much for any help/advice you can provide!!!! :smile:
So you just want to get the update to 8.1 upgrade 2. Not WP10? Ok, unless things have changed. 1. Backup your phone, save everything to OneDrive. 2. Join slow ring. They will check your phone and send you an update. That will be 8.1 upgrade 2. I stayed there for a while to enjoy the "Denim" experience on the 635 before going to WP10. The basic feel of it is just like the 640, for a couple days mine were basically clones. Now if that's where you want stay for a while, you can just ignore the new update prompt. Make sure you updates are not on auto. Or....do a hard reset, don't install the insider app, and you're good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99