- 12-15-2012, 06:22 AM #1
- Go to http://gmail.com
- On the left side, click the dropdown that says 'Gmail', and click 'Contacts'
- At the top of the contacts list, click the 'More' dropdown, select "Export..."
- Select the contact group, most likely 'All Contacts' and then select 'Outlook CSV'
- Click 'Export' and save it somewhere(contacts.csv)
- Go to Sign In
- "Add people to your contact list" should be available, select "Import from file"
- Select the file you downloaded earlier
- Be sure to clean up and duplicate contacts by clicking the "Manage" dropdown on the main People website and selecting 'Clean up contacts'
There are 2 ways to really go about this. Create an email address(@outlook.com, @live.com) or use your existing Gmail account. If you really want to go through the full switch, I recommend just going with making a new email address. (Skip down to the bullet about linking Gmail if not)
- To create a new email address, go to http://signup.live.com (note if you have a Windows Phone, you should have one)
- Once you have your new Microsoft account, click the Settings gear at the top right, and click "More Mail Settings"
- Click "Your email accounts"
- Click "Add send-and-receive account"
- Enter your Gmail(or other) information
- Over the course of a few hours, all of your mail should be imported automatically, and you should even be able to "send-as" your Gmail account.
- Go to http://google.com/calendar
- On the left side where your calendars are listed, click the dropdown and click 'Settings'
- In the 'My Calendars' category, select Export Calendars
- The file will be a .zip, you need to extract the .ics file out of the ZIP.(calendar.ics)
- Go to Sign in to your Microsoft account
- Above the calendar, click "Import"
- Select the .ics file and click Import
- Sign in to Gmail and find your Google Drive folder.
- Select All(shift + A),click More, click Download, and then save your Google Docs as Office documents on your desktop.
- Download SkyDrive here: Microsoft SkyDrive - Microsoft Windows
- Go to your SkyDrive account , and then drag your files from your desktop to your SkyDrive folder(it will automatically sync)
Can I use "TrueSwitch" to do this?
Not anymore, as TrueSwitch has shutdown as of May 15, 2013.
Why should I switch?
Outlook is more modern, has more features(subjectively) and Google is dropping support for EAS.
My Gmail emails aren't getting forwarded instantly, why?
Well this tutorial is ideal if you want to completely rid yourself of any Google services, so you'd want to change all things that originally send to your Gmail(bills, newsletters) to go to your new Outlook email
What do I do if I have created a Live ID and subsequent Xbox Gamertag that is associated with another email address from a different provider?
Check out this post (thanks BitPusher2600)
Will this work to upgrade from Hotmail?
Yes, Outlook is essentially a giant overhaul of Hotmail. See here
My LiveID is an alias to a domain other than Hotmail or Outlook (such as Gmail). TrueSwitch does not seem to be working. What can I do?
Check out this post (thanks Matt M.)
If you have any other FAQ-type questions, please PM them to me and I'll add them to this post.
Last edited by Jake_M; 06-13-2013 at 08:56 AM.Thanked by:
+ Show/Hide list of the thanked
a5cent, Aman2901, androidtoWM, Axefield, chenhogi, Cherian, dadueler, DDJason, djrakowski, doomtuba, gerzhwin, GreatDharmatma, HeyCori, imem, Jason De Castro, klcow, Klevis, Laura Knotek, Mika Baumeister, Muessig, Optimus82, patatdrolleke83, RayWP7, saintforlife, Sam Sabri, steve_w_7, trobs29, WanderingTraveler, ZombieBacchus
- 12-15-2012, 01:28 PM #4
- 12-15-2012, 04:45 PM #6
Thanks, Jakeeeee! I used this guide to start the process of transitioning away from Google services. Mail has been importing this earlier this morning (looks like it's going to take the entire day for everything to dump into my outlook account), and setting up calendars was a breeze. I still have a Google Voice account I'm using to hold onto an old cellphone number (and if I could get people to stop calling it, I'd be done with GV as well).
As far as I can tell, there's no way to set up recurring tasks in the Outlook/Hotmail calendar. If I can figure that out, I'll move my to-dos from Toodledo immediately.
- 12-15-2012, 04:58 PM #7
This is awesome. Should be handy for those wanting to make the switch all the way and another example of why the Windows Phone Central forums are the best around. Stuff like this should make it to the home page ;)
Last edited by Sam Sabri; 12-15-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Spellingszzz
- 12-15-2012, 05:10 PM #8
After Google's announcement to move away from EAS, I advise more people to sign up for Outlook/AOL/Yahoo. IMO, using consumers as pawns in your "battle" against Microsoft is completely unacceptable. Fight by making a better product, not by screwing over users with inferior products like CardDAV. And what I've read from other users, Google has changed this so-called "open protocol" so that it's as proprietary as EAS. This, along with other inferior "open" formats like WebM, is just another example of Google pushing proprietary formats while claiming they're open and free. False!Please read our Community Rules & Guidelines
12-15-2012, 05:35 PM #10"Bro, you know I lift cause I use a Lumia 920..."
- 871 Posts
12-15-2012, 05:36 PM #11"Bro, you know I lift cause I use a Lumia 920..."
- 871 Posts
- 12-15-2012, 05:51 PM #12
- 12-15-2012, 07:37 PM #16
So just a little confused. If I have a gmail address as my login for my Microsoft accounts (ie Skydrive etc...) can this be changed over to simply have a new @outlook.com email or must I create an entirely new account and migrate? Ideally I'd like to not reformat my Lumia 920.
Also, is it really worth it to bother switching if I'm still grandfathered in? I'd have to update alot of accounts that use my gmail as a login as I'd prefer to have it all unified to one account.
- 12-15-2012, 08:49 PM #19
Only thing keeping me from canceling my gmail account is the fact that I use Google Calendar and have a calendar shared with my girlfriend who has an Android phone. I've looked into it: it doesn't seem like you can add calendars other than Gmail calendars on Android.
Anyone got a solution for this?
12-15-2012, 11:36 PM #22
- 1 Posts
i dont exactly know the ins and outs of having a microsoft outlook account. did everything as suggested but my main microsoft account is still using my gmail.
Is there a way to merge my new microsoft outlook account with my old microsoft gmail account?
this way i dont have to re-buy all the apps ive purchased using the old microsoft gmail account.
EDIT: Found it guys. thanks.
- 12-16-2012, 12:51 AM #25
Just made the switch. Well, made a new outook.com account and have email forwarding from my two gmail addresses to that new account. We'll see how long I keep the gmail accounts, as I've also switched email info on all my web logins.
- By Zyr in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 13Last Post: 01-23-2013, 02:23 PM
- By holzlondon in forum General Microsoft News and DiscussionReplies: 8Last Post: 11-02-2012, 04:02 PM
- By alansari_ammar in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 11Last Post: 10-17-2012, 04:12 AM
- By slicksilver in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 5Last Post: 06-14-2012, 01:13 AM