How Push Notifications Work (and why sometimes they might not)...

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Introduction
Push notifications - love them or hate them, you can't avoid them. Some people never seem to have problems with them, others seem to be plagued with unreliable notifications. There are a lot of things that can interfere with notifications, and hardly any of them are directly related to your device. This article is an attempt to remove some of the mystery from this subject, and perhaps give you some pointers on where to look next time you think you're having a problem.

Why we need them
Push notifications are now the dominant method for sending notifications from online services to mobile devices.
There are a number of reasons why this method makes sense, but the biggest one is simple – it’s much more efficient in terms of battery life than having each application checking for its own notifications using its own method. That consumes processor time, data, battery - all precious resources on a mobile device.

It's far more efficient - in most cases - to have notifications "pushed" to your apps.

Notifications to Windows Phones are sent using the cleverly-named Microsoft Push Notification Service (MPNS), which is a cloud service provided by (no surprises) Microsoft.

Types of push notification
There are three different sorts of push notification:

• Toast - displays a message at the top of the screen for 10 seconds
  • Tile - increments a counter on a Live Tile
  • Raw - used to send 'other' data to the app - useful for games

For all three notification types, your app's cloud service can request that MPNS delivers the notification immediately, within 450 seconds or within 900 seconds.

Toast notifications can be deep-linked to the app - so if you tap the notification it takes you to a specific screen in the app

For toast and tile notifications, the app itself does not need to be running for the notifications to be processed - the OS (via the Push Client service, see below) keeps the notification channel open and handles these notification types.

For raw notifications, the app has to be running on the device for the notification to be handled.

How they work

The process of getting push notifications for your app starts with the app itself.
37690d1374271862-ic627802.png

(From Push notifications for Windows Phone)

1. The app communicates with the OS on your phone (specifically a part of the OS known as the Push Client Service) and requests to be registered for push notifications.
  2. The Push Client Service then talks to MPNS, and MPNS provides a URI (Uniform Resource Identifier - see Uniform resource identifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) for the app
  3. The Push Client then gives the URI to the app.
  4. Your app then sends the URI to it's own cloud service
  5. When the app's cloud service has a notification to send, it uses the notification URL to send the notification to MPNS.
  6. MPNS then routes the notification to your app.

MPNS will provide feedback (a response code) to the app's cloud service to acknowledge that the notification has been received by MPNS and will be sent on to the device as soon as possible. MPNS doesn't provide any confirmation that the notification has actually been delivered to the device, although it can give some indication that a notification won't be sent by using a different response code. If the response code that is fed back to the app cloud service indicates a problem, it is the responsibility of the app cloud service to resend the notification.

The response code from MPNS can give a number of different responses depending on what state MPNS believes your device to be in. I'm not going to list them all here (although if you are interested the full list is here: Push Notification Service response codes for Windows Phone). For the purposes of this article, I will focus on one area - the device connection status that MPNS can feed back to the app cloud service.

Device Connection Status
There are three states that MPNS can determine that your device is in.

Connected - the device has an active connection to MPNS and can receive notifications in real time

Temp Disconnected - the device has lost connection with MPNS. The device (more exactly the Push Client service) will try and reconnect to MPNS as soon as a working internet connection exists. In the Temp Disconnected state, up to 30 notifications are queued for up to 24 hours.

Disconnected - After 24 hours in Temp Disconnected, MPNS will change the device status to Disconnected. Once MPNS has decided that your device is disconnected, it will discard all notifications in the queue and not queue any more until the device reconnects. It's still possible for the Push Client service on the device to reconnect to MPNS once internet connectivity is restored, but only notifications sent after connectivity is restored will be sent.

Temp Disconnected is an important state to understand. It is a perfectly valid state for a device to be in, for a variety of reasons:

• Battery Saver is on
  • You have exceeded your carrier's data plan limits
  • Data Sense is enabled and you have exceeded your specified limit

There are also some reasons that are less obvious:

• Corporate wifi networks (and public hotspots) can have firewalls, packet inspection devices and proxy servers that can interfere with push notifications
  • Your mobile carrier can (and will) limit how long your device is allowed to keep a data connection open on its network. Your device's Push Client service can try and prevent this but there's only so much that can be done. There are a lot of factors that can influence this but it will certainly depend on how busy your local cell tower is.
  • Poor coverage, intermittent coverage, or frequent transitions between data and wifi is making your connection appear unstable.

I think my notifications are broken.... what can I do?
As we've seen in the article above, there's quite a few factors involved with push notifications. So diagnosing problems with them is tricky, and it's hard to come up with a definitive list of do's and don'ts for tracking down issues. But there are a few questions to ask and a few steps you can try.

Is battery saver off?
Do you have a working internet connection?
If you're a Data Sense user, are you within your usage limits?

If the answers to all the above are yes then about the only thing you can do (short of hard-resetting your phone) is simply to power your phone off and back on again.

If you're certain only one app is having a problem then you can uninstall it, restart your phone and then reinstall the app.

If you're having problems with one live tile not updating, it's definitely worth unpinning the tile, restarting your phone and then re-pinning the tile.

Particularly if only one app is having a problem, it's well worth checking the forums here in case others are having problems.

And it's worth testing with an app that you know should generate a notification - Whatsapp (now they've finally got a version using MPNS) is really good for this.

Conclusion
Push notifications aren't as simple as they first appear. There are quite a few reasons why push notifications can appear to be unreliable, and a lot of those reasons are nothing to do with your phone. It's important that an app's cloud service is written to handle the responses from MPNS properly. There can be transient conditions in wifi and data networks which are not immediately apparent to you that can delay notifications, and if these conditions persist then notifications will be discarded.

And finally....
For some apps (Facebook in particular), the logic behind what causes a notification to be sent to the app is not always clear. From observation, it seems to me that Facebook notifications are triggered only in relation to posts that you make (so if someone else likes or comments on your post, or if you comment on someone else's post and then someone else does) or when you are tagged in photos. I get these notifications reliably and consistently. From memory the Android and iPhone versions of these apps triggered notifications for just about everything. So I am theorising that the notification logic for the Windows Phone app is different to those platforms - if you are getting notifications from Facebook for other things, please comment below.

As with all these guides, feel free to post your comments and suggestions below. It's great to get feedback, corrections or clarifications.

adhi depp

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Nice post,but my concern why ios push more reliable than Windows Phone.did infrastructur in Microsoft is so bad..i am using Same carrier network and Same place

khunhorm

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I was about to ask the same thing. Why ios push more reliable? Does ios push using the same method? 450 seconds!!! That's nearly 10 minutes. Any chat will not work.

Haigs

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Nice post, it explains everything for notifications! The only problem i have is with facebook and fb chat so i am sure its not my phone's bug but Facebook/MS.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
This thread was not about iOS/Android, nor was it meant to be a comparison of different platforms.
Not about iOS and Android, but about different platforms? Contradicting much? Anyway, regardless of what the thread is about it talks about push notifications and I think a lot of us would love to know the reason behind why they're so wonky on Windows Phone.

Haigs

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
This worked for me, when some tiles stopped updating.

Is battery saver off?

If the answers to all the above are yes then about the only thing you can do (short of hard-resetting your phone) is simply to power your phone off and back on again.

trickym81

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
For Facebook, I can get notifications for wall posts, comments, etc. but I never get them for new messages (which is the only thing I actually want them for.) All Facebook notifications work perfectly fine on my Android tablet.

t0n1zz

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
well in my case every social notification in my lumia 820 is not working anymore like whatsapp,line,wechat,facebook beta, metweets(twitter) and even i can't receive any message from facebook chat or family room, already have this issue for a month (because waiting for amber update but the result today is nothing different). so i get very frustated when most of my other friends using other phone have no issue about this (from android, ios , even the old blackberry not the os 10)

tomorrow i'm willing to do some factory reset to see if it will fixed, but it will takes sometimes(setting tiles, account, etc.)... i just hoping to know why all of these can happen?
(already happen twice since i bought the phone and already factory reset 4 times, 2 times because my phone suddenly can't recognize any headset)

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
well in my case every social notification in my lumia 820 is not working anymore like whatsapp,line,wechat,facebook beta, metweets(twitter) and even i can't receive any message from facebook chat or family room, already have this issue for a month (because waiting for amber update but the result today is nothing different). so i get very frustated when most of my other friends using other phone have no issue about this (from android, ios , even the old blackberry not the os 10)

tomorrow i'm willing to do some factory reset to see if it will fixed, but it will takes sometimes(setting tiles, account, etc.)... i just hoping to know why all of these can happen?
(already happen twice since i bought the phone and already factory reset 4 times, 2 times because my phone suddenly can't recognize any headset)

turn off battery saver,
allow WiFi to run under lockscreen (settings > WiFi > advanced),
allow background tasks for these apps (settings > applications > advanced)

Jasy7

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
This worked for me, when some tiles stopped updating.

Is battery saver off?

After upgrade to amber in l720 my facebook tile was not working, I followed the steps and VOILA ! Its back on business.

CamiKitti

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I just wish we can enable some things like push notifications (store updates) or WiFi constantly being connected when Battery Saver is on.
I know the point of Battery Saver is to save the battery by not having those things on, but it's annoying because my phone doesn't last as long without it.

enomam

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible that changing network locations (ie, travelling overseas, and using WiFi, or a different SIM) will cause push notifications to fail ?
I've noticed that a lot of things that were working (like toasts, pushing applications, live tile update, find my phone ...), now are not. Are they all tied to the same resources ?

Ta !

Tiago Januario

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have the same problem. None of notifications are working. Whatsapp, viber, linkdin, facebook, skype.
I'm wondering why I change my IOS for WP8 :unhappysweat:

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have my nexus 7 next me me and when that beeps I know I have a notification. Otherwise rely on the me tile. Most apps are very unreliable. Tried the hd7, Nokia 710, Hawai Ascend W1 now Im on the 1020. All have the same issues. Something to do with the mpns is poor. Even when I do get notifications its delayed by 2-4 mins. I remember the best device I ever had was my blackberry 8900 instant notifications. Also been on 02 H/3G AND 3 H+. ALSO WIFI ALWAYS ON MAKES NO DIFFERENCE

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I just implemented push notifications for chat in my app Football Ultras (its in v2 which is in Beta which should hit the store in the next day or 2 if you want to check it). I'm using Windows Azure Mobile Services and my notifications come instantly. It's unbelievable and makes me wonder why other apps like FB are terrible. I don't think it's MPNS but the web service doing the push notifications and in this case Azure is working seamlessly.

Dheeraj Sukumaran

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
explained well. but my problem is i get notifications only for whatsapp and twitter properly. all others are rrally not working. i used to get notifications from skype. but now i dont
cant reveive calls when app is npt running. hike, line, cnn etc.....

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Not about iOS and Android, but about different platforms? Contradicting much? Anyway, regardless of what the thread is about it talks about push notifications and I think a lot of us would love to know the reason behind why they're so wonky on Windows Phone.

Not a contradiction, read the post again. She said "...nor was it meant to be a comparison of different platforms." The keyword there is in bold.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss