Guide for those who use Google Voice as a SMS service

poots1101

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I used metrotalk in the past which was great, however there would be issues where it wasn't able to fetch SMS properly and became unreliable (no offense to the dev). Anyway, I realized I could just forward the messages to my outlook email acct, and thought I'd share in case anyone else was frustrated of the lack of google voice support. The really nice thing about this method:

1. messages are received right away to your outlook acct. since we aren't using gmail, we don't have to wait 15 minutes for it to push out to your inbox.
2. if you reply to the text via outlook, the other person receives the text as if you were sending it from google voice. i.e. the other user doesn't see any difference.

Below are the steps to get your SMS messages to Outlook:

1. login to gmail.
2. go to settings
3. click on the forwarding and pop/imap tab.
4. under the forwarding section at the top, click the "add a fowarding address" button
5. enter your outlook email account.
6. once you submit your outlook acct, it'll need to have you verify the acct. follow the steps (it emails you a link, and you copy/paste the verifcation code back into the gmail settings).
7. once your outlook acct is verified, in gmail settings click on the filters tab.
8. scroll to the bottom and click on the 'create a new filter' link
9. in the from field, type in the following: txt.voice.google.com OR voice-noreply@google.com
10. click "create filter with this search" link at the bottom.
11. on the next window, check the box next to "skip the inbox" and also "forward it to:" and then select your outlook email.
12.click create filter button at the bottom

Also don't forget to add voicemail forwarding to your outlook acct via Google Voice settings on the web.

Hope this is helpful to all you google voice users!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234