Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Global Posts
    1,994 Global Posts
    Awesome. Now my WP can look like my iPhone but with an older generation phone.

Ok, it will still be a cool upgrade, and you buy tech knowing the clock starts ticking on it bein obsolete on day one.

But, come on MS, why would you risking angering the only people who would be good up sell candidates to a wp8?
    AngryNil likes this.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Or as un-cluttered as you want.

yeah, i love the existing users who are saying MS is shoving this new UI down our throat.

you can still have your same 8 squares if you want them. at least they are giving those of us who want a bit more customization that option.
    xmind likes this.
    You can size them as you like. It is up to you. If you leave them medium sized it will be identical to what we have. Wish people stopped with false knowledge. It is going out of control now

Sent from my Titan using Board Express
    Thanked by:
    mud314 
    snowmutt, cedarlog, xmind and 1 others like this.
  5. AzD

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    I don't think it's all that cluttered; I do think the current UI is simpler and cleaner, but it looks like you can modify it however you feel.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    you kidding me.. its only CLUTTERED if YOU make it clutter you cluts! .. lol

WP8 looks NOTHING like the Iphone......

Iphone = Grids of Icons
    WP8 = 100% customizable tiles size and placement.. not to mention interactive!!!

i can probably say that WP8 in theory is MORE customizable then Android UI, ( with out tweaks)
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

TheDarKnight, xmind and ramrac like this.

Global Posts
    3,523 Global Posts
    I don't think that looks anything like an iPhone.

Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    It looks EXACTLY like the iPhone and Android app menu. Just because we can have different sized icons does not change the fact. iPhone and Android are even cleaner now because their icons aren't different sizes.

As a matter of fact, I hope Microsoft either eliminates or makes big revisions to the app drawer on the right. The new start screen makes it redundant and it was never great at quickly fetching apps.

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    You can size them as you like. It is up to you. If you leave them medium sized it will be identical to what we have. Wish people stopped with false knowledge. It is going out of control now

Sent from my Titan using Board Express
    Can we chose the size? That's better than I thought it was.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    We need more knee jerk overreactions about WP8 like this. It's really improving the quality of this forum.

Anyone else have a misinformed complaint about WP8 they want to freak out about before they have all the facts?

Global Posts
    1,742 Global Posts
    People shouldn't be *****ing about a feature they have not actually seen or read about. You have total control over the size and placement of the icons. It's just like it is now, but you can adjust the size. Or..... wait for it..... not adjust the size!
    suvastallions likes this.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    We need more knee jerk overreactions about WP8 like this. It's really improving the quality of this forum.

Anyone else have a misinformed complaint about WP8 they want to freak out about before they have all the facts?
    I wasn't aware that I needed a PHONE to use this OS. How dare MS?!?!
    Winterfang and snowmutt like this.
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Sentimentgx4 View Post
    It looks EXACTLY like the iPhone and Android app menu. Just because we can have different sized icons does not change the fact. iPhone and Android are even cleaner now because their icons aren't different sizes.

As a matter of fact, I hope Microsoft either eliminates or makes big revisions to the app drawer on the right. The new start screen makes it redundant and it was never great at quickly fetching apps.
    The WP Start Screen looks nowhere near EXACTLY like the iPhone and Android app menus. And WP 7.8/8 icons aren't different sizes either, unless you want them to be.

The new Start Screen has zero bearing on the "app drawer". You can pin as much or as little as you want to the Start screen now, and you will be able to pin as much or as little as you want to the Start Screen in WP 7.8/8. If the "app drawer" wasn't there, how would you launch something not pinned to the Start Screen, in either UI version?
    Xbox Live Gamertag: DanSmithKY
    Thanked by:
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSmithKY View Post
    If the "app drawer" wasn't there, how would you launch something not pinned to the Start Screen, in either UI version?
    Ask [S]Siri[/S] TellMe to launch it.
    DanSmithKY and cedarlog like this.
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by A Social Reject View Post
    Ask Siri TellMe to launch it.
    +1 to you. ;)
    Xbox Live Gamertag: DanSmithKY

Global Posts
    2,092 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A Social Reject View Post
    Ask [S]Siri[/S] TellMe to launch it.
    I still think voice recognition is far from perfect.

Hey, isn't WP8 getting global search though?
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013

Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    Right because having functional tiles acting as icons that show you notifications REGARDLESS of size are considered to be a cluttered mess. If you can't organize your home screen to become functional, then maybe you shouldn't mess with the new update
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...

scottcraft likes this.

In the screen caps, I didn't like it. When I watched the video and saw it in motion, it's actually not so bad. Much more cluttered that WP7, but also far more useful (I'll need to delve in to the app menu, or scroll down the page, a lot less now).

Global Posts
    1,994 Global Posts
    This could be ok if you've got control over layout features.

I wonder what the chances are of AT&T letting people out of their lumia contracts for new wp's and a two year commitment?

I also wonder if someone will file a class action suit against Nokia and MS for knowingly selling phones that you can't fully upgrade. It would be ridiculous, but if I've thought about it, chances are someone else has too.

Global Posts
    2,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpet116 View Post
    Can we chose the size? That's better than I thought it was.
    There are three sizes of tiles if you look at the video of WP8 on the L 900 video.
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!

Global Posts
    2,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    Right because having functional tiles acting as icons that show you notifications REGARDLESS of size are considered to be a cluttered mess. If you can't organize your home screen to become functional, then maybe you shouldn't mess with the new update
    Indeed!!!!
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!

Quote Originally Posted by baseballbert View Post

I also wonder if someone will file a class action suit against Nokia and MS for knowingly selling phones that you can't fully upgrade. It would be ridiculous, but if I've thought about it, chances are someone else has too.

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    I'm definitely a power user, and when I saw the summit demo video of the guy naming off all the different styles of how you can customize your start screen... I was like "DATS MEEEEEEEEEE" when he said "Power user". Haha. I have an Android, and I just use the app drawer because there just isn't enough single home screen availability for me to put the apps I want on it. I think that's whats so great about the windows phone start screen, it's scrolls up and down... not transition left and right to different home screens.

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    This could be ok if you've got control over layout features.

I wonder what the chances are of AT&T letting people out of their lumia contracts for new wp's and a two year commitment?

that's funny. It's nice that they give us free updates but it's not in no contract. I can't update my windows 7 to windows 8 for free on my computer. The computer can handle the update and our phones can't. That is why. Microsoft is not being mean or greedy. The current phones just can't handle the horse power. I have a Lumia 900 & titan 2. I'm not mad at all. I wish and hoped Apollo would run on my phone but in my head I kinda new my phones couldn't handle it. Am I mad? No. Am I sad? Yeah. But I new when I bought my phones that Apollo was coming and bringing super phones. Oh well that's how it is.
    Thanked by:
    jfa1 
    jfa1 and scottcraft like this.

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    I saw this reasoning there as well: xda-developers - View Single Post - Lumia owner cheated and angry.

There is only one word to describe the **** storm, misinformation, whining, rabid bias and plain stupidity Microsoft's various announcements have generated these last days: disgust.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast