Why Microsoft just made a huge mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWRounder

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not so concerned about updates for my lumia 900, it works well now and as long as it does so, no need to change. But why would someone buy a WP7 device today? Just wait until wp8 device is ready right? So that's going to be a tough sales pitch. And sure, I would like to get a wp8 device when they arrive, but probably will wait until my contract is up in 21 months for the upgrade. Or OEM's could offer wp8 device upgrades when they arrive for all the lumia 900, Titan 2, Focus 2 owners. And free upgrades to a wp8 device to those who buy a wp7 device " today" and MSFT can reimburse the OEM.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
One thing nobody seems to be upset about is that given the development cycle for new software (Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows Phone 8) Microsoft KNEW when WP7 was released that WP7 handsets would not work on WP8. Everyone that bought WP7 ended up being a beta tester for MS new interface.

Budule

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
"Dell Computers non upgradeable to Windows 8"......."MS and Dell confirmed today that even if you just bought a new Dell in the past month you wont be able to upgrade to Windows 8 due to hardware limitations, Dell CEO commented that "even though these computers are "new" we used up all our old hardware and knew they wouldn't be able to handle windows 8, i guess people should have asked before they bought" people who did recently purchase though will receive a free screen saver and some wallpaper"........if that was the case should everybody be alright with that to?.....just suck it up i guess.....i wonder how long Dell would last if that were the case..........

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
^But hasn't it always been the case of caveat emptor (buyer beware?) I mean Apple never releases a press release to everyone saying, "hey guys don't buy any new macbook pro's yet because we're going to be upgrading the product line next week." At most you may get a hint that something like that might be the case when you see news that Apple is holding an event but it's never guaranteed and its never stated flatly.

You don't think people buying new hardware wouldn't be miffed that the same amount they spent could've been on a machine that has a spec bump or said differently that they could've saved money by holding off their purchase?

I think we all get how upset you are, but it's kind of like how far can you really say it's a corporation's duty to warn its customers. Note, I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice though.

Budule

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
^But hasn't it always been the case of caveat emptor (buyer beware?) I mean Apple never releases a press release to everyone saying, "hey guys don't buy any new macbook pro's yet because we're going to be upgrading the product line next week." At most you may get a hint that something like that might be the case when you see news that Apple is holding an event but it's never guaranteed and its never stated flatly.

You don't think people buying new hardware wouldn't be miffed that the same amount they spent could've been on a machine that has a spec bump or said differently that they could've saved money by holding off their purchase?

I think we all get how upset you are, but it's kind of like how far can you really say it's a corporation's duty to warn its customers. Note, I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice though.

You're right it is "buyer Beware" and its probably not their "duty"......im asking if the above hypothetical were true what would be the reaction and would dell suffer.....and i don't see how this is any differant......it would never happen though as Dell makes it a point FAR, FAR in advance to tell you that IF you buy now you CAN upgrade for a small fee....

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Why is it that everyone is missing the point that nobody expected the full WP8 experience. What was expected was some level of app compatibility. It is not comparable to when Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel. All the WP devices are and will be based on ARM architecture.

There is no point even trying to explain this any further. Fan boys never listen. I ha an Android tablet, MacBook pro, i5 win7 laptop, and currently a Windows phone. I am no ******. I prefer to give all tech companies a chance. However, this whole scenario could have been avoided, and I feel it should have been.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

xkatz

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Overall, it does suck that we won't be getting WP8 on our current phones, but this was bound to happen eventually. I am upset, but I realize that I'd rather be stuck with 7.X for another year or so, rather than have my phone be complete **** b/c it's not able to handle WP8. I think Microsoft could've handled this better, but not much can be done about it.

But you know what? I am very happy with the Windows Phone experience thus far. Most other people I know who have smartphones have iPhones (4/4s), and when I compare my HTC Trophy with one of those, I am glad I chose WP7. Sure, it may not have nearly as many apps as iOS or Android, but WP7 has been nothing but smooth sailing for me. I feel sympathy for those who just bought a Windows Phone, but as another user said, there is probably really no good time to do something like this. Let's just hope WP8 really takes off and is even better than WP7.

TL;DR version: This isn't the best situation, but let's stay optimistic and hope WP8 is amazing.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
It is not comparable to when Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel.

I think the comparison was more about the general idea that it's a large shift into a differing technology, though yes all it would take is a change in the bootloader and kernel replacement, but I'd argue because of the difficulty in trying to enforce this against all the OEMs (and mparker has said the same in other threads) this decision was the only feasible route that MS could take.

Last edited:

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Why is it that everyone is missing the point that nobody expected the full WP8 experience. What was expected was some level of app compatibility. It is not comparable to when Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel. All the WP devices are and will be based on ARM architecture.

There is no point even trying to explain this any further. Fan boys never listen. I ha an Android tablet, MacBook pro, i5 win7 laptop, and currently a Windows phone. I am no ******. I prefer to give all tech companies a chance. However, this whole scenario could have been avoided, and I feel it should have been.

and why do moaners mute out the truth? You just throw up half detailed knowledge to support your ignorance. Until you can find me a link saying that legacy devices will not get any future app support, then your statement is NULL and VOID

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
and why can't someone try wp7 today? You can buy first AND second Gen devices that aren't expensive at all. OFF CONTRACT. My boyfriend paid 300 for his iPhone 4 this past Christmas because he didn't want to use his upgrade until he got the 5. Its not hard

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Cckgz4 insults do not strengthen your point. I have no need to prove anything to you. All of us are merely expressing our point of view. It is not supposed to be a battle, it supposed to be people sharing their views. I am sorry if you feel threatened by views that differ from your own.

There is plenty of Microsoft history if you need to understand why many of us have little faith in Microsoft's long term support of an ending platform.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Cckgz4 insults do not strengthen your point. I have no need to prove anything to you. All of us are merely expressing our point of view. It is not supposed to be a battle, it supposed to be people sharing their views. I am sorry if you feel threatened by views that differ from your own.

There is plenty of Microsoft history if you need to understand why many of us have little faith in Microsoft's long term support of an ending platform.

if that was considered an insult then I see why you don't understand this WP8/7.8 process

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Don't bother with Cckgz4, he is making us Windows Phone fans look bad.

You're not a "fan" and you bring your limbo woes to the whole board because you aren't satisfied. You speak irrationally with half baked information. You are beyond annoying and post on impulse

but you're on ignore so...

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Any time you use a word like ignorance yet provide no basis for that statement, it is nothing more than an insult.

Tell me what knowledge I stated that was half detailed. Provide the missing detail you speak of. What I stated was perfectly detailed since it was an accurate description of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss