Tell Microsoft: We just want the App Support of WP8

the hess

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Quite a few people are upset about the announcement of wp7 devices not getting upgraded to wp8, which is some what understandable, but not really. They put a lot more into the new software and devices and it is understandable that the older (legacy) devices can't support that.

The part that really grinds my gears is that fact that all of us wp7 users that have grinded through this slow development of 100,000 apps are now going to lose a lot of support for app development on wp7. I say slow development because though there are 100,000 most of them are crap and we are way behind on a lot of the more "trendier" apps out there in mobile.

The end users need to get together with sites like wpcentral and kind of demand for strong support for wp7.8 from microsoft as the wp8 marketplace grows. They are depending on app developers to code for both, but it wont happen. If they haven't coded for wp7 now they probably will not down the line.

Lastly Microsoft games better be coding for both, and how is microsoft a software company that can't figure out some solution to keep app support strong for wp7?

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
It's been one day and the guy from Kansas with 7 posts has already decided WP7 won't get app support. I have never seen this level of overreaction on these forums. This is getting tiresome for some of us.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Who knows for certain? I can say that I could see that happening just the same as they did to us for the conversion over from WM to WP. I think there should be some form of backward compatibility for WP8 apps to be able to work with/on WP7 phones since there a push to get these phones out to the market prior. If that is the trend they follow, why would anyone want to buy a new phone every 1-2 years and have to reinvest in a new app collection. Why would developers want to have to continue to rewrite apps instead of update them for a new OS every 1-2 years.

I understand that WP is a new OS, for the most part. And, that MS had planned for this long ago but, they still have a lot of catching up to do. They've had a number of years to work on this, why they brought out a limited and restrictive OS in the first place is beyond me. They have the R&D to do it right. They brought out a new OS on a new phone, with a new hardware set that landed with a thud. Not a complete flop, but not very much fanfare and allowed it to whither for a long time before someone else picked up the gauntlet. Had they worked this way 20-25 years ago, we'd all be running OS's by Digital Research on our computers.

Just saying.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
There are so many useful apps on Android and iOS that have yet to make it to WP7.5 phones. I love my WP7.5 phone and have waited patiently for the apps thinking it will happen eventually. Now with WP8 having a different kernal and the ability of a developer to write a wp8 app that will also run on win 8 computers and tablets, I question if we will see updated apps for our 7.5/7.8 phones. That is really my only concern as I am totally happy with my phones functionality as it is right now- it's the future apps I worry about.

For example- I got a new GM vehicle this year- there is an app out that would enable a smart phone to unlock/lock and start the car remotely. It is out for everything but a WP phone- I assumed it will come evenutally but not so sure now. Got a new Netgear router last week- of course there is an app that allows you to manage the network from your phone but no WP app. I initally thought it would come to my phone eventually, but with WP8 I am not so sure- that is my big concern. I may end up getting a iphone 5 this fall- I'm getting tired of waiting for apps.

the hess

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
It's been one day and the guy from Kansas with 7 posts has already decided WP7 won't get app support. I have never seen this level of overreaction on these forums. This is getting tiresome for some of us.

LOL then get the **** off the forum. I don't post much but i do know whats going on, and living in Kansas has very little to do with my knowledge and the capacity to convey my opinion here in this forum.

But good for you for being here and posting as much as you have. You must be really good at what you do. Look you even have 2 phones you must be a super wp7 user (kudos from kansas to las vegas), but don't be mad when we don't have any app support.

BooMaLiCiOuS

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
These forums are beginning to feel like android home to me. Every update Google announces people get in such an outrage that their device will not be covered.

Time to kick back and relax. :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

the hess

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, i'm looking like an angry poster on here... Anyways i'm just upset with the idea that wp7.x wont be getting any new apps in 2013. I'm still happy for microsoft for making this much needed move, but to do so without shafting all the wp users to this point on future apps would have been a great idea.

(look at me, i'm almost at double digit posting status)

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
LOL then get the **** off the forum. I don't post much but i do know whats going on, and living in Kansas has very little to do with my knowledge and the capacity to convey my opinion here in this forum.

But good for you for being here and posting as much as you have. You must be really good at what you do. Look you even have 2 phones you must be a super wp7 user (kudos from kansas to las vegas), but don't be mad when we don't have any app support.

"Don't be mad" says the guy who started a thread to complain, when we've already got about 30 of those going on. You obviously wanted your frustration to be shared and noticed. Well, I took notice.

Yup, I have 2 phones, and yup, I've been around the tech game a while and used tons of different platforms. So I've seen your type before. You're a bandwagoner, and you'll be gone soon enough, and this forum will return to the pleasant place it was before the whining began.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Who knows for certain? I can say that I could see that happening just the same as they did to us for the conversion over from WM to WP. I think there should be some form of backward compatibility for WP8 apps to be able to work with/on WP7 phones since there a push to get these phones out to the market prior. If that is the trend they follow, why would anyone want to buy a new phone every 1-2 years and have to reinvest in a new app collection. Why would developers want to have to continue to rewrite apps instead of update them for a new OS every 1-2 years.

I understand that WP is a new OS, for the most part. And, that MS had planned for this long ago but, they still have a lot of catching up to do. They've had a number of years to work on this, why they brought out a limited and restrictive OS in the first place is beyond me. They have the R&D to do it right. They brought out a new OS on a new phone, with a new hardware set that landed with a thud. Not a complete flop, but not very much fanfare and allowed it to whither for a long time before someone else picked up the gauntlet. Had they worked this way 20-25 years ago, we'd all be running OS's by Digital Research on our computers.

Just saying.

Thank you buddy, that's all we need right now and not WP8 looks. We just need new app support and no beef.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
So MS said that ALL APPS/GAME on WP8 using Native coding wont work on WP7.8...

explain to me how that say that ALL wp8 apps aren't supported?......oh wait.. it doesn't.

and even if it dint.. do you expect your Original Xbox to RUN Xbox 360 games?
same **** is happening with Android and Iphone...

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Bottom line you want apps that work..

Don't expect to run 3D programs on a computer with a intel core 2 duo with a crappy video card expecting something great... Its not going to happen.

If you need powerful hardware upgrade. If you need simplicity then don't or wait it out.

the hess

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Bottom line I want microsoft needs to find a way to get app support to wp7 users. Obviously not everything is possible, but there is a chance that the whole wp7 marketplace will become very stale if not addressed properly. But microsoft hasn't announced everything but it's important to have these conversations. Any why do people want to settle for being like the other OS's, isn't that why we're wp users to begin with, to not be like them?

(2 more kudos to bigkevbosky for flexing more muscle and showing me who really runs this place. I'm such a bandwagon winfan)

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line I want microsoft needs to find a way to get app support to wp7 users. Obviously not everything is possible, but there is a chance that the whole wp7 marketplace will become very stale if not addressed properly. But microsoft hasn't announced everything but it's important to have these conversations. Any why do people want to settle for being like the other OS's, isn't that why we're wp users to begin with, to not be like them?

(2 more kudos to bigkevbosky for flexing more muscle and showing me who really runs this place. I'm such a bandwagon winfan)

Why is it so hard to understand? I'm just going to copy paste this as I'm tired of explaining it: WP8 will come out in 6 months. It will take AT LEAST 6 months to a year for WP8 to have a userbase significant enough that a developer would consider writing an app without WP7 support. Even then, WP7.8 and WP8 apps share 90% of their codes. What do you think Android devs do regarding the 3 or 4 different OSes + tablets? Just write one version of their apps supported by the newest platform? I don't think so.

You WILL get new apps for at least the following 2 years. You may not be able to install the more power hungry games, or NFC related apps but that's it. On top of that, as long as we don't know what exactly is coming to WP7.8, there's NO reason to complain about it.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
and even if it dint.. do you expect your Original Xbox to RUN Xbox 360 games?
same **** is happening with Android and Iphone...

The 3gs can run iOS 6 apps.

My Titan II which came out in April won't be able to run (Some apps in 6 months from now).

The 3gs came out in August of 2009, it is 2012... 3 years and by then 3 generations will have past, iPhone 4, 4s and the new iPhone.

My Titan two will only have 1 generation and it will be outdated via app support.

The only thing I want is app support, I agree with the "guy from Kansas with only 7 post" It is a valid concern. @bigkevbosky aka the vegas guy, post count has nothing to do with nothing.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The 3gs can run iOS 6 apps.

My Titan II which came out in April won't be able to run (Some apps in 6 months from now).

The 3gs came out in August of 2009, it is 2012... 3 years and by then 3 generations will have past, iPhone 4, 4s and the new iPhone.

My Titan two will only have 1 generation and it will be outdated via app support.

The only thing I want is app support, I agree with the "guy from Kansas with only 7 post" It is a valid concern. @bigkevbosky aka the vegas guy, post count has nothing to do with nothing.

if you wan't to compare OS compare it properly.

Using you logic it be more like comparing the Iphone and the Iphone 3G .

Apple did the same thing!!!

1: Iphone ( first GEN ditn get upgrade)
2: Iphone 3G (second GEN , dint get upgrade )

3: Iphone 3GS ( third gen + got to Upgrade)
4: Iphone 4
5: Iphone 4s

and now peopel complain that SECOND gen WP wont get the upgrade
you claim APPLE is better when they did the EXACT SAME THING!!!!

Trying Playing REAL RACING 2 on Iphone 3G... oh wait you cant.

fail! :straight: ( and obviously people will use the TIME LINE/Nokia phones as a comeback .. psshh)

I love how people read 2-3 articles and claim to be experts... 90% of the post here are misinformed! and its sad....
(I am NOT point fingers at any one!! )

LOL.jpg

Last edited:

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I just dont understand the thinking that as of TODAY app development for wp7 is OVER! DONE, GONE, FINISHED, BLAHBLAHBLAH...They can still develop for wp7 and port to wp8 rather quickly according to MS. People may ask "what is the point of developing for 7 now? Well, there is still a user base and with the ability to port from 7 to 8 rather quickly according to MS, they can satisfy two users bases.

Than you got those that say, once they port, than the wp7 version app will gone from the marketplace...uhh what? So if they port over a facebook app, it is going to be gone for all wp7 users that want to download? um ok!

Facts - NOkia is bringin new apps developed on their own which is more than any other OEM, apps like paypal, new games by way of EA, angry birds, zynga games all coming to wp7 as announced. Clearly, there is app support for the current devices. Just dont expect 3d games on wp7 when wp8 gets them which i am sure people will cry about anyway.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
if you wan't to compare OS compare it properly.

Using you logic it be more like comparing the Iphone and the Iphone 3G .

Apple did the same thing!!!

1: Iphone ( first GEN ditn get upgrade)
2: Iphone 3G (second GEN , dint get upgrade )

3: Iphone 3GS ( third gen + got to Upgrade)
4: Iphone 4
5: Iphone 4s

and now peopel complain that SECOND gen WP wont get the upgrade
you claim APPLE is better when they did the EXACT SAME THING!!!!

Trying Playing REAL RACING 2 on Iphone 3G... oh wait you cant.

fail! :straight: ( and obviously people will use the TIME LINE/Nokia phones as a comeback .. psshh)

I love how people read 2-3 articles and claim to be experts... 90% of the post here are misinformed! and its sad....
(I am NOT point fingers at any one!! )

Click to view quoted image

once again, pulling out nuggets that are convienent to your argument. The early gen iPhones didn't get upgraded to iOS6, but they DID get upgraded past two major revisions of the OS. Not point releases, but major versions 1 2 3 etc....

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
once again, pulling out nuggets that are convienent to your argument. The early gen iPhones didn't get upgraded to iOS6, but they DID get upgraded past two major revisions of the OS. Not point releases, but major versions 1 2 3 etc....

whats to tell us that WP8+ wont get all following updates? like apple did..
its all very similar the way ALL the OS works.....

Apple first and Second GEn had like 400% more user base then First and Second GEN Wp...
Id rather MS screw us over now then later.

People take a small thing and turn it into a BIG DEAL! think long run.. not short term,
we are small % of users that doesn't even matter to MS's success...( in the long run)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3