So which OS's will be comaptible W8, WP8 and RT?

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
OK, so now with the introductions of the Tablet, Phone and upcoming Windows OS for Desktops/laptops, I've been reading about the Rt version for ARM chips compared to the other version for Intel/AMD chips.

So which versions of the OS's will actually be compatible say in the manner that Droid phone apps will work on the Tablets? I'm just a little confused now with the whole upper/lower end OS's versions for tablets, Phones.

thanks

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Either will be. The sync app will be a metro one so you can use either the RT version or x86.

Ummm... Metro is the style of the UI, for all practical purposes, it's a "picture". It has nothing to do with what's compatible with what. Someone could write a METRO launcher UI for Android. It wouldn't make android suddenly compatible with WP.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
OK, then, tell me if I'm right on this then.

WinRT is in line with the WP8 OS and would be compatible with apps between the two

Win8(Surface) is in fact the same Win8 that I'll put on my desktop I build after it comes out.

Or am I still off on this?

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Windows 8 and Windows RT apps are programmed using WinRT in HTML5/JS, C++, C#
Windows Phone 8 apps are programming using WinRTP in C++, C#

WinRTP is a subset or modified version of WinRT. There won't be direct app compatibility, but the majority of the code can be shared between the two flavors of the app. You don't really want to run phone apps on a tablet and vice versa anyway, the change in screen size and interaction necessitates a change in UI.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Ummm... Metro is the style of the UI, for all practical purposes, it's a "picture". It has nothing to do with what's compatible with what. Someone could write a METRO launcher UI for Android. It wouldn't make android suddenly compatible with WP.

Metro style app development

Metro, or Metro-style, is a commonly used term for apps written in WinRT and distributed through the Windows Marketplace. And yes, it is a design language too.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Windows 8 and Windows RT apps are programmed using WinRT in HTML5/JS, C++, C#
Windows Phone 8 apps are programming using WinRTP in C++, C#

WinRTP is a subset or modified version of WinRT. There won't be direct app compatibility, but the majority of the code can be shared between the two flavors of the app. You don't really want to run phone apps on a tablet and vice versa anyway, the change in screen size and interaction necessitates a change in UI.

I would think though, with the newer apps being able to support 16:9 scaling that it would be something that would be great if it were portable across all three platforms. I use a 27" flat screen for my desktop, would truly love to have a large screen smartphone(big hands/fingers) since I rely on sliders for the majority of my input since going stylus-less with these newer items and would think that the Surface would also be a 16:9.

Yes, there may be some issues with the newer lower end devices since they are not in the 16:9 format, but I would assume there is something in the coding requirements or processing by the OS itself that would reformat it to fit on the other devices.

Just as a simple example:

Wouldn't it be nice if I could play Angry Birds on my computer. Then, later while sitting in the living room, pick up my Surface(Intel or ARM) and carry on where I left off. Maybe later, while sitting in the Dr's office waiting on my appointment, pick up my phone and carry on from there. After I get home later in the evening relaxing by picking back up on my large screen desktop.

Just a thought. Not just for game play but pretty much any application/program you would use. Office, Accounting, Email, really pretty much anything you could think of that you would use. With cloud services, I could see it as a place to store the data and then the applications would automatically and seamlessly pull that data no matter what system you are on.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon