Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. johnmcd348's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    233 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
       #1  
    OK, so now with the introductions of the Tablet, Phone and upcoming Windows OS for Desktops/laptops, I've been reading about the Rt version for ARM chips compared to the other version for Intel/AMD chips.

    So which versions of the OS's will actually be compatible say in the manner that Droid phone apps will work on the Tablets? I'm just a little confused now with the whole upper/lower end OS's versions for tablets, Phones.

    thanks
  2. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,996 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,997 Global Posts
    #2  
    Either will be. The sync app will be a metro one so you can use either the RT version or x86.
  3. fifthGear's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Either will be. The sync app will be a metro one so you can use either the RT version or x86.
    Ummm... Metro is the style of the UI, for all practical purposes, it's a "picture". It has nothing to do with what's compatible with what. Someone could write a METRO launcher UI for Android. It wouldn't make android suddenly compatible with WP.
  4. johnmcd348's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    233 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
       #4  
    OK, then, tell me if I'm right on this then.

    WinRT is in line with the WP8 OS and would be compatible with apps between the two

    Win8(Surface) is in fact the same Win8 that I'll put on my desktop I build after it comes out.

    Or am I still off on this?
  5. PG2G's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    453 Posts
    #5  
    Windows 8 and Windows RT apps are programmed using WinRT in HTML5/JS, C++, C#
    Windows Phone 8 apps are programming using WinRTP in C++, C#

    WinRTP is a subset or modified version of WinRT. There won't be direct app compatibility, but the majority of the code can be shared between the two flavors of the app. You don't really want to run phone apps on a tablet and vice versa anyway, the change in screen size and interaction necessitates a change in UI.
  6. PG2G's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    453 Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by fifthGear View Post
    Ummm... Metro is the style of the UI, for all practical purposes, it's a "picture". It has nothing to do with what's compatible with what. Someone could write a METRO launcher UI for Android. It wouldn't make android suddenly compatible with WP.
    Metro style app development

    Metro, or Metro-style, is a commonly used term for apps written in WinRT and distributed through the Windows Marketplace. And yes, it is a design language too.
  7. johnmcd348's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    233 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by PG2G View Post
    Windows 8 and Windows RT apps are programmed using WinRT in HTML5/JS, C++, C#
    Windows Phone 8 apps are programming using WinRTP in C++, C#

    WinRTP is a subset or modified version of WinRT. There won't be direct app compatibility, but the majority of the code can be shared between the two flavors of the app. You don't really want to run phone apps on a tablet and vice versa anyway, the change in screen size and interaction necessitates a change in UI.
    I would think though, with the newer apps being able to support 16:9 scaling that it would be something that would be great if it were portable across all three platforms. I use a 27" flat screen for my desktop, would truly love to have a large screen smartphone(big hands/fingers) since I rely on sliders for the majority of my input since going stylus-less with these newer items and would think that the Surface would also be a 16:9.

    Yes, there may be some issues with the newer lower end devices since they are not in the 16:9 format, but I would assume there is something in the coding requirements or processing by the OS itself that would reformat it to fit on the other devices.

    Just as a simple example:

    Wouldn't it be nice if I could play Angry Birds on my computer. Then, later while sitting in the living room, pick up my Surface(Intel or ARM) and carry on where I left off. Maybe later, while sitting in the Dr's office waiting on my appointment, pick up my phone and carry on from there. After I get home later in the evening relaxing by picking back up on my large screen desktop.

    Just a thought. Not just for game play but pretty much any application/program you would use. Office, Accounting, Email, really pretty much anything you could think of that you would use. With cloud services, I could see it as a place to store the data and then the applications would automatically and seamlessly pull that data no matter what system you are on.
    Last edited by JohnMcD348; 06-22-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Posting Permissions