I guess people expected to receive dual-core chips OTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Really, is that what you guys expected. I said from the beginning, as did everyone else, current devices will get what their hardware allows out of WP8. Will you get the new Start screen? Yes. Will you get Skype integration, and other awesome software from WP8? Probably. Will you receive a dual-core chip, and NFC chip, and a higher resolution screen over-the-air? No. Because Microsoft isn't Hogwarts.

All of this whining really makes me look down on this community. Under your all's logic, the iPhone 3GS didn't get iOS5 because iOS5 supported a higher resolution screen and a better processor, and the 3GS doesn't have either of those.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft should of just pulled an Apple and said all phones will get WP8 *fine print* minus a few hardware specific features. Remember, the 900/Titan II are both gen2 devices and hardware for those devices was finished mid-last year and released late last year via the Focus S and OG Titan. When WP8 devices launch the hardware inside your gen2 device will be nearly 1.5 years old.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
It really only seems like a small group of self entitled whiners. They are just VERY vocal. Seems like most people are fine with how things will work going forward.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Will you receive a dual-core chip, and NFC chip, and a higher resolution screen over-the-air?

I thought my phone already had these features but they were just locked. WP8 update was supposed to unlock these features on my phone. This was the last phone I was ever going to have to purchase.
;)

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure people didn't expect to get dual core OTA. ;) They assumed it would sync from Zune. Hehe.

Here is what makes people nervous, and if I were in their shoes, I would understand.

If a developer creates an app and compiles it just for WP8, it won't work on their device that they just could have purchased today.

This is the area that Microsoft should probably expand on.

Personally, unless the developer is writing something that NEEDS the new WP8 features, they would be very foolish to develope a WP8 only app.

Why is that? It's simple. I don't know how many WP7.x phones are out there, but I saw somebody say like 12 million. There are currently zero WP8 devices out there. If the goal of a developer is to make money, they would be pretty foolish to ignore the existing install base and start over with a user base of zero. At somepoint there might be a marketshare large enough of WP8 that they may ignore WP7.x, but I can't see that being right away.

Just my opinion.

Really, is that what you guys expected. I said from the beginning, as did everyone else, current devices will get what their hardware allows out of WP8. Will you get the new Start screen? Yes. Will you get Skype integration, and other awesome software from WP8? Probably. Will you receive a dual-core chip, and NFC chip, and a higher resolution screen over-the-air? No. Because Microsoft isn't Hogwarts.

All of this whining really makes me look down on this community. Under your all's logic, the iPhone 3GS didn't get iOS5 because iOS5 supported a higher resolution screen and a better processor, and the 3GS doesn't have either of those.

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
... Remember, the 900/Titan II are both gen2 devices ...

I've been wondering for months now why people are calling these devices 2nd Gen. I mean they're all conformant to the HW specs originally defined by MS for the very first Windows Phone Series 7 (before MS dropped the "Series").

It just HAPPENED to be the case that there was a second WAVE of first generation devices. In fact we could say that Lumia 800 and Titan I were a second wave and that Lumia 900 and Titan II were a third wave... but they're still all 1st generation hardware. There's absolutely NOTHING 2nd gen about these devices.

/soap box

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

You are so completely wrong its ridiculous. Are you ignorant or trolling? iOS 5 on the 3GS, 4, and 4S is the same OS and each device supports the feature it has the hardware for. WP 7.8 and WP 8 are not the same OS. Even if your WP 7.8 device has all the hardware an app needs, but it was written using WP 8 code, you cannot download it. iOS 5 on all iOS devices have the same kernel. WP 7.8 and WP 8 have different kernels, making them different OS's at the core. So no, people were not expecting any new hardware features from the update because we are not mentally handicapped. Just like 3GS didn't expect to suddenly have a retina display just because iOS 4 supported it. What we did expect was for our flagship devices that will be less than a year old at the launch of WP 8 to stay up-to-date for a decent portion of the contract we signed. That's why we buy high end devices instead of the budget device.

LexusFman

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Read this fanboys

The fanboyism on this site is just ridiculous. Of course we can't get the hardware in an update-people feel burned because they just killed a platform off. There's no physical reason current gen windows phones can't get WP8. Dual Core, High Res Screens, and NFC support do not make backwards compatibility impossible. I could venture to say the new kernel doesn't either. The reason WP8 won't run on Mango devices or even the first Windows Phones to come out is simply because Microsoft doesn't want it to. And to tell you the truth, all of the people who say anyone who complains about WP8 is just whining are stupid. Its perfectly reasonable to have an opinion on a decision Microsoft has made with their device.

WP8 apps will not be forward compatible with WP7. Forward compatibility is hard to implement. This burns WP7 users because the platform they invested in is now dead, not because of natural technological progression but because of corporate decisions.

But now that I'm thinking, what good will sharing a kernel with WP8 REALLY do? Someone could point out that app development would be easier but how hard would it be to retrofit the HTML-5/whatevermakeswindows8run to the WP7 kernel? Is it just to say they can?

The reason I might jump off the WP ship is because Windows Phone is dependent on the actions of Microsoft, and if they prove they don't make actions I don't agree with then I will simply buy something else, or hold out until something better comes along.

That, and I just found out Nokia dropped their sponsorship of the World Rally Championship, so screw them and screw Microsoft.:p

EDIT:The new start screen looks like ****.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
The fanboyism on this site is just ridiculous. Of course we can't get the hardware in an update-people feel burned because they just killed a platform off. There's no physical reason current gen windows phones can't get WP8. Dual Core, High Res Screens, and NFC support do not make backwards compatibility impossible. I could venture to say the new kernel doesn't either. The reason WP8 won't run on Mango devices or even the first Windows Phones to come out is simply because Microsoft doesn't want it to. And to tell you the truth, all of the people who say anyone who complains about WP8 is just whining are stupid. Its perfectly reasonable to have an opinion on a decision Microsoft has made with their device.

WP8 apps will not be forward compatible with WP7. Forward compatibility is hard to implement. This burns WP7 users because the platform they invested in is now dead, not because of natural technological progression but because of corporate decisions.

But now that I'm thinking, what good will sharing a kernel with WP8 REALLY do? Someone could point out that app development would be easier but how hard would it be to retrofit the HTML-5/whatevermakeswindows8run to the WP7 kernel? Is it just to say they can?

The reason I might jump off the WP ship is because Windows Phone is dependent on the actions of Microsoft, and if they prove they don't make actions I don't agree with then I will simply buy something else, or hold out until something better comes along.

That, and I just found out Nokia dropped their sponsorship of the World Rally Championship, so screw them and screw Microsoft.:p

Why are you still here? There's a thousand (or more) phone related forums on the net. Go find one you like, that focuses on Android or iPhone, and become someone relevant there. You're adding nothing. Nobody here cares that you're butt hurt. Nobody here can do anything about it except tell you how stupid you look posting this crap.

LexusFman

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Why are you still here? There's a thousand (or more) phone related forums on the net. Go find one you like, that focuses on Android or iPhone, and become someone relevant there. You're adding nothing. Nobody here cares that you're butt hurt. Nobody here can do anything about it except tell you how stupid you look posting this crap.
Because I had an opinion that I wanted to express? Stop acting like your better than everybody because you ride MS

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You are so completely wrong its ridiculous. Are you ignorant or trolling? iOS 5 on the 3GS, 4, and 4S is the same OS and each device supports the feature it has the hardware for.

Not true. There is no hardware limitations for the iPhone 4 to run Siri, yet it doesn't. There are no hardware limitations for the iPhone 4 to run Turn by Turn navigation, yet it doesn't. Same applies for the iPad 2, no Siri yet there is no reason other then to sell more "New iPads".

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
There's no physical reason current gen windows phones can't get WP8.

I'd be interested to know how you know this information.
Since WP8 is based off of Windows RT I could just as easily say WP8 was only made for dual core and above and that is your exact physical reason why it wouldn't run on a single core phone. Truth is neither of us knows....

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Not true. There is no hardware limitations for the iPhone 4 to run Siri, yet it doesn't. There are no hardware limitations for the iPhone 4 to run Turn by Turn navigation, yet it doesn't. Same applies for the iPad 2, no Siri yet there is no reason other then to sell more "New iPads".

Valid point. But it is still a better situation than what is happening on this platform. If they put wp7 on my 900 but witheld features like wallet or something id like that better.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
For me I'm very excited about WP8 and all it brings, but I've got a first-gen phone and I'll be able to upgrade in November. I'm sure I'd be a bit upset if I'd just bought a Lumia or Titan. I guess the real question is how long will it take for all of the WP8 only apps to be released. For quite some time there will be more WP7 out there than WP8.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

It only looks like **** if you let it! You control the size of the tiles and other than the "gutter" being gone it can look the same

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I would like to point out that when ios 4.0 came out, the 3gs couldn't do multitasking NOR use a background wallpaper. Fact.

I don't mind people being genuinely upset. What I don't like are people spewing misinformation and running with it.

IamVortigaunt

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I think their approach is just fine. It was widely believed that wp8 would support higher resolutions, multiple cores, NFC, etc. And it was widely believed it would launch this fall. So if you follow the platform, you should have known your new lumia or titan II would no longer be the flagship device in half a year. Buy hey you're getting the new start screen and probably other updates with 7.8. What exactly is your complaint? Will there be a day when apps get introduced specifically for 8? Probably at some point, but id guess it won't be too common for a while, except for some native code apps. But what do you expect? The show must go on.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire