Convince me to switch to wp8?

anon(382406)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello!
I'll admit I was enticed to read about Microsoft's secret event and they did a good job of piquing my interest with wp8, but I'm not sure I want to take the plunge and thought I'd ask the users themselves. First a quick history:
I began using smartphones with the Palm Treo650, loved it!
Stayed with Palm all the way through the Palm Pre and Pixi, and would still be there if HP hadn't flushed it's future.
Finally feeling the Pre give way I went to Android (refusing to be an Apple ******) and settled on the Motorola Photon. It's fast, a good size, and has it's other perks.
Yet I feel unhappy with it, still longing for the functionality and convenience of the Palm Pre days.
As a pastor I do a lot of texting, emailing, writing and internet surfing. For down time I enjoy the occasional game, but nothing overly involving.
So is WP8 right for someone thinking of saying goodbye to Android?

Oh yeah, by the way, I'm on Sprint...

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

Sprint is the only major US carrier that hasn't announced they're going to be providing a launch day WP8 device.

So, you may not have a choice. Still, if you want to experience what Windows Phone is about, check out a used HTC Arrive. You can get them pretty cheap now.

LexusFman

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello!
I'll admit I was enticed to read about Microsoft's secret event and they did a good job of piquing my interest with wp8, but I'm not sure I want to take the plunge and thought I'd ask the users themselves. First a quick history:
Stayed with Palm all the way through the Palm Pre and Pixi, and would still be there if HP hadn't flushed it's future.
Finally feeling the Pre give way I went to Android (refusing to be an Apple ******) and settled on the Motorola Photon. It's fast, a good size, and has it's other perks.
Yet I feel unhappy with it, still longing for the functionality and convenience of the Palm Pre days.
As a pastor I do a lot of texting, emailing, writing and internet surfing. For down time I enjoy the occasional game, but nothing overly involving.

Don't do it. Microsoft just burned pretty much anyone who bought a Lumia 900. There's no guarantee they won't do the same to you. Stay away from WP.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Don't do it. Microsoft just burned pretty much anyone who bought a Lumia 900. There's no guarantee they won't do the same to you. Stay away from WP.

Sorry man this is complete BS.

Lets take the Blackberry flagship phone can it upgrade to BB10. NO
Did Blackberry commit to existing users by releasing featured packed applications. NO
Did Blackberry release any new BB10 features on existing phones. NO

Back to the Windows side

Is Lumia 900 still a great value absolutely would I recommend it to first time smartphone users YES

Is the Lumia 900 getting application support YES expect popular apps people have been begging for Words With Friends & Draw Something this fall plus Nokia exclusive applications that takes the end user experience to another level.

Is the Lumia 900 getting some sort of upgrade YES its getting 7.8. As far as we know the start screen is going to be available on legacy devices. The smart screen = better notifications. I am confident more features will be added. Joe B only named 8 key features to what makes WP8 what about the other 200.

So quit hating.

Windows Phones are all about experience. The experience would be shattered if your phone was slow and sluggish. A slow phone is not a Windows Phone...

We are not about that LIFE.

Frenzytom

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft had to make a tough decision in terms of justifying between short and long-term evolution. People don't see this as a big plus to MS user base as it bring convergence to the shared core idea (bringing all things MS together in a unified platform).

What I do see is a very similar parallel to when Apple migrated from OS 9 to Mac OS X and when the platform went to Intel processors. People drew pitchforks and said this OS will die and no one will use OS X...blah blah... Legacy users like myself stated I cannot/will not upgrade until they laid a solid foundation to where developers and users would be able to follow. Yes, that angered legacy users and developers who was stuck on the old system but that was a sacrifice Apple was willing to do to bring in the future. It was painful and long process but Apple did do something right, it migrated users slowly by allowing them to use legacy software to run alongside native applications. They did not cut off users right away and that is something MS is doing with 7.8 but eventually, users will need to upgrade hardware to run the new software and such is progress. I hope MS has a long-term plan that will include users new and old. As for me, bring progress and some damn good hardware, please?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Have any of you switched from webos to wp? Or from Android? What about WP do you like better?

I went from webOS to WP7 to iOS. Switched to iOS from WP7 before my 30 day return window was up. Anyhow, not happy with iOS at all and wishing I had stayed with WP7. Now I'm waiting for a WP8 device so I can get rid of my iCrap 4s.

What do I like about WP? Live tiles and XBL integration. I just wish Nokia had an LED indicator to alert u of missed texts or calls. From what I understand, HTC is the only WP manufacturer that has an LED for missed stuff.

Also, no one does notifications as well as webOS.

Last edited:

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

Bull, his list of things he wants to do the over year old Arrive does with ease. Heck, that's all I ever use it for and it's awesome for it! He'd probably be even happier writing and emailing and texting on it since it has a very nice physical keyboard.

The WP7 adopters haven't been burned either, we're getting WP7.8 which is as close to WP8 as our hardware will allow. You're making it sound like they're just gonna up and stop supporting the OS which Microsoft doesn't have a reputation for. ****, Windows XP is 11 years old this year and it still gets bug/security fixes! I doubt they're gonna just up and leave us like that.

I love my Arrive. It's still as fast and smooth as the day I got it. Runs so well I don't even care if it gets an update(except for the one that fixes replying in outlook which I still don't have...Sprint?).

AzD

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Have any of you switched from webos to wp? Or from Android? What about WP do you like better?

I came from Apple, then Android, and finally to WP. I like just about everything better than either of those. Stability, speed, fluidity, looks, integration. Potential for greatness. Lack of apps is the only real negative and Microsoft is closing that gap pretty quickly.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Hello!

Yes it is, WP 8 will absolutely blow android away. But to get the most if it you'll have to switch to a carrier other than sprint as their network is very slow.

Now if this isn't trolling I don't know what is. They didn't burn anyone, they will be providing an update that will include the same features as WP 8 as long as the hardware supports it while staying on the CE kernel. Plus there will be continued app development.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

From Android. I like the fact that I don't have to "fiddle" with my phone. Granted that wasn't the phone's fault but I wanted to spend less time in my phone. WP makes that easier

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Windows 8 has me sold, I'll admit it. The new start screen, and the other core features that were previewed in the summit had me drooling. I even want a Surface, I already have XBox+XBL... and when Win8 comes out, I'll be upgrading. There is more to the phone, it is becoming a complete ecosystem.

From what I've read (since I'm still an Android user, I have no actual hands on), people say Windows Phones have the best text messaging and emailing capabilities out of the big 3 (WP, Android, and iPhone). As for gaming, if you enjoy Xbox Live and like achievements you might enjoy the catalog of Live games for WP's. But it still comes down to what you want out of your phone.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Windows 8 has me sold, I'll admit it. The new start screen, and the other core features that were previewed in the summit had me drooling. I even want a Surface, I already have XBox+XBL... and when Win8 comes out, I'll be upgrading. There is more to the phone, it is becoming a complete ecosystem.

From what I've read (since I'm still an Android user, I have no actual hands on), people say Windows Phones have the best text messaging and emailing capabilities out of the big 3 (WP, Android, and iPhone). As for gaming, if you enjoy Xbox Live and like achievements you might enjoy the catalog of Live games for WP's. But it still comes down to what you want out of your phone.

The keyboard is very nice. The good thing about Android is that you can find a good keyboard, but it's even better to have a good keyboard out the box

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The keyboard is very nice. The good thing about Android is that you can find a good keyboard, but it's even better to have a good keyboard out the box

I hate all the keyboards on Android that I've tried, and I've definitely tried my fair share... and I'm not paying for a keyboard either.

rluka

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
They said 18 months of guaranteed software support (probably from launch, not from purchase). If you usually change device before that time, why not ?
Especially if you can have 30 days to try the device and still eligible to return it if it doesn't fit you.

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
i do think windows phone 8 will provide the best experience you will get from a smartphone
if you are a gamer or social or music or business guy windows phone 8 made it possible to fill different kinds of people requirements

i do hope you visit a retail store to check it out when it released

anon(382406)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the input, especially those of you with good comparisons. I do get frustrated with Android's stability and keyboards, but I really enjoy the talk to text, does wp8 have that?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb